Conneaut Lake Parks Dreamland Ballroom destroyed in fire.

. . .The building consisted of a second-floor ballroom and a first-floor maintenance area, storage area and food and game booths.

Park General Manager George Deshner said the maintenance area contained the motors and other components for most of the park's rides. They were lost in the fire.

The building was not insured, Deshner said.

Sigh.

I suppose that is the veritable end for any chance of the park reopening.

A sad day for Conneaut Lake, indeed...

See also:

http://www.meadvilletribune.com/breakingne..._032041409.html

CONNEAUT LAKE -- It was an albatross, really. A faded paint relic of a time when travel was by steam locomotive, and a sleeping room could be had for the coins jingling in one's pocket.

But the Conneaut Lake Park's Dreamland Ballroom, a ridiculously oversized and wheelchair-inaccessible gathering spot that stretched over nearly half of the old amusement park's midway, was still seen as a valuable asset by those working to breathe new life into the troubled resort.....

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...EWS02/802020376

Community mourns loss (includes some history of the park):

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...20377/-1/NEWS02

Of the park or of the building that caught fire? About 2/3 of the park is still standing. The building will probably be demolished soon, but maybe not. I don't even want to think about where they are going to get the money to do that. They are $2.5 million in debt now, last I heard. There was no insurance. And people live in houses in the park less than two blocks from that now burned out hulk. I am sure it MUST be torn down, but how? The county up there isn't awash in money, either.

The place is $2.5 million in debt. At one time, there WAS insurance. Even then, I bet it was significantly underinsured. Right now, the place is under judicial supervision. I doubt that fire insurance was a wise investment given that they owe back taxes, vendors, and darn near everybody who did business with the park in the last few years.

A sad day for the park. This is one of the greatest examples of an old RR park. I had the opportunity to serve on the board of the park in 2003-2005, this park can be saved but needs to get a developer in to help it over come the financial issues. Operating costs to open are about 300,000 per year, the debt is 2.5 Million most of which is tax related and a penn vest loan that needs to be repaid. Bottom line is that the answer to the problems are there...no one wants to admit it though because of the resistance to change that exists in the area.

THe main legal issue with the park is the 999 year leases on the cottages that are in the park, the water system and general infrastructure of the park operations also are a mess. The ultimate trip building is not usable (on the other side of the midway from where the DLBR stood.) The Blue Steak, The bug, and carousel are all worth the trouble of saving this park. Kiddy land is also one of the best around. I would say they could sell the water slides and use that money to help pay off some of the debt. There is a large area of undelveloped land that could be used for new rides, etc. The hotel needs major work to get it to code.

Finally, the whole public trust issue is what saves the park, but stops it from moving forward. Bottom line is that know really can figure out what can and can't be done with this property. The local judge is trying to make decisions as to what can and can't be done. The county needs to step forward, take the park on back taxes, appoint and authority and develop the park the right way for public use. THey can get grants and loans this way and still be able to save the important historical rides and parts of the park like the hotel, the BS, Carousel and the bug. THe park would then be operated by a company that would lease the operations from the county and give the county more $ than they are getting from the taxes not being paid on the property.

Not insured? How crazy is that?

You are right, it is crazy.

But when there is no income, it is hard to insure anything.

And the insurance aspect was one of the hurdles that needed to be crossed (along with the water, gas and electric bill) that took so long just to open the Beach Club towards the end of summer 2007.

And as many have said, it is a sad story.

There is one thing that I did recognize with all the current media attention: everyone that was interviewed about the fire talked about events that occured over 20 years ago. Nobody interviewed are people that would really be willing to enjoy the park today. Putting it simply (and not trying to be insulting by any means): it was the older folk in the interviews as well as older folk in the videos that were loking at the damage first hand.

What the park needs (besides about $3 million) is for some younger people to come forward and express their desire for the park to re-open. Without that, no investor is going to touch CLP.