Should Oktoberfest go?

italianchef

Names are changing at Kings Island - and that is a good thing. I appreciate that Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad is just now, "Kings Island Railroad". I appreciate the simplicity.

Should Oktoberfest go? The area is a shell of its former self? The only attraction remotely German is Oktoberfest, which serves American and Chinese food!

Would it make sense for Oktoberfest to be absorbed by International Street and Action Zone? Scooby Doo was annexed by International Street. How about if Festhaus and Viking Fury go to International Street and everything else (including Adventure Express) gets annexed by Action Zone?

Do you think that Oktoberfest should go? If so, how would you divy up the attractions?

Best regards,

Italian Chef

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oktoberfest is actually my favorite section of the park.... and feel it's just fine the way it is.

Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad was a far better name than just Kings Island railroad, the name along with references in the station and theming, apply to a lot of Cincinnati and the surrounding area's history.

I don't know I kinda like just sitting down in that area of the park over looking the lake. Its one of the last quiet places in the park left with trees. That or I just ride the train after eatting something to slow down.

I couldn't have said it better than these 3. I love Oktoberfest. In the midst of the craziness of the park, I like to go in Festhaus, ride VF, and eat at the Biergarten (BBSS). It just has a neat vibe to it. I also didn't realize they changed the name of the railroad. I agree with Gordon Bombay on the train.

I couldn't have said it better than these 3. I love Oktoberfest. In the midst of the craziness of the park, I like to go in Festhaus, ride VF, and eat at the Biergarten (BBSS). It just has a neat vibe to it. I also didn't realize they changed the name of the railroad. I agree with Gordon Bombay on the train.

Thanks KIfan, even though previous owners started to ignore the theming and view the trains as primarily transport to the water park, that ride has so much tradition between the people who run it and maintain it. The engines are named after former conductors at the park, the ride kids are taught the history of the train and have been using the same hand signals since the start. The train is one of my favorite things at Kings Island.

If Oktoberfest were to go, Coney Mall would follow quickly, then Rivertown, then Nick Universe, then International Street, etc. The place would end up themed as well as Dorney Park or Valleyfair. Why not paint the Eiffel Tower sky blue instead of its original darker green? Oh, wait. . . I strongly suspect the only reason it survived the Paramount era was it was too expensive to remove.

Sigh.

Why would ANYONE want that?

And various fast food items served in the Fest Haus do not an International Restaurant make. Next, someone is going to tell me LaRosa's pizza is authentic Italian cuisine. Sigh.

The engines are named after former conductors at the park, the ride kids are taught the history of the train and have been using the same hand signals since the start. The train is one of my favorite things at Kings Island.

I agree with the coach. I have always been a fan of the train, especially when the theming still had windows in one piece.

All I can say is "Highball!"

Some of you may or may not understand that, no, it isn't a reference to the drink...

Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad was a far better name than just Kings Island railroad, the name along with references in the station and theming, apply to a lot of Cincinnati and the surrounding area's history.

It could be "Da train boss! Da train!"

I don't mind that particular change. I do like the Oktoberfest area of the park but these days it is nothing like it used to be. I would actually like to see them bring back more of that German feel to the area - but that will never happen. I think it should become part of Coney Mall - my favorite area of the park. Maybe I am just biased, but I like the atmosphere there better than any of the other areas of the park. :rolleyes:

I wonder what made them change the name? At Cedar Point it's called "Cedar Point & LAKE ERIE RAILROAD", why would Cedar Fair chage KI's?

canonpkiaug132006105bg8.jpg

I don't see them going through the trouble and changing this.

Don't be so sure, it doesn't take much...Exhibit A....

openingday22pu7.jpg

Just remember even if it proves to be true that the history and tradition of the Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad has been discarded by Cedar Fair....

Cedar Fair has the inherent rule of doing what works.

Names are changing at Kings Island - and that is a good thing. I appreciate that Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad is just now, "Kings Island Railroad". I appreciate the simplicity.

Should Oktoberfest go? The area is a shell of its former self? The only attraction remotely German is Oktoberfest, which serves American and Chinese food!

Would it make sense for Oktoberfest to be absorbed by International Street and Action Zone? Scooby Doo was annexed by International Street. How about if Festhaus and Viking Fury go to International Street and everything else (including Adventure Express) gets annexed by Action Zone?

Do you think that Oktoberfest should go? If so, how would you divy up the attractions?

Best regards,

Italian Chef

Vinking Fury and AE both are very good rides,

and I think the area has some of the best atmoshpere in the park.