Kings Dominion loses a coaster

Hurler (either of them) could be a fantastic ride if it were well maintained. The last several years under CBS, it was darn near unbearable. It has improved marginally under Cedar Fair, but that isn't saying much. A pity it is, too. There's a darn good coaster in there crying to get out. See: Thunder Run at Kentucky Kingdom and Viper at Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, both very similar coasters that run wonderfully.

The last time I rode Hypersonic, I just kept hoping it would quickly be over. It was not the fun, wonderful ride it was the season it opened.

I can't say I'm too disappointed, with those god-awful headrests they added the ride was becoming ridiculous. I only rode it it's first year in 2001, when it had the original restraint system, and even then it wasn't all that great. The launch was decent, but after that the ride was very mediocre.

It was a fun and intense launch, but otherwise a not too noteworthy coaster. I went to Kings Dominion in 2004, and I sure loved being a single rider... not did I only bypass a bunch of people (I was asked to do so), and get in the front seat. KD is getting a much better coaster to take XLC's place in their coaster roster with Dominator. Northeast Ohio's loss is Virginia's gain.

I may be in the minority, and I suspect I am. I am not a Hypersonic XLC fan...but, I'd rather ride it any day than ride Dominator, which is, in my opinion, the second least wonderful B and M coaster I have ever ridden, exceeded in that regard only by Scream at Magic Mountain. Even Hydra at Dorney is more wonderful, and that's saying something.

^I agree with you on Scream. I think the only saving grace for that ride is the zero-g roll preceding the cobra roll because you don't completely feel like you're out in the middle of a parking lot. I find it amusing that Riddler's Revenge pre-dates it by 5 years and offers such a better experience. (well, at least on my visits in '03 and '05)

I could be way off but I had heard dominator was NOT going where hypersonic XLC is/used to be. I had also heard KD was getting the former "Head Spin" as well and that that was going to be in part of the area cleared from XLC. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Dominator is going in the front of the park in the former bus parking lot just north of the scooby doo coaster & toonpike rides but won't be a parking lot coaster :) as they're going to landscape the area around the ride.

As for what will replace HSXLC,while there are rumors that headspin from GL may replace it for 2009 we'll have to wait & see.I'd much rather see a hyper that starts where HSXLC's station is/was & turns left going north throug hold virginia,sure they'd probably have to get ride of blue ridge tollway but it's be a good ride for that side of the park IMO.

• 3 weeks later...