Then and Now

stremmefan

I have only been to King's Island 5 times. 1979, 1981, 1983, 1991, and 2007. The first few times I was at King's Island it was awesome. When it was all Hanna Barbara Characters. The characters were also posted as signs in the parking lot so you knew where you parked along with a trolly that took you back and forth. The rides were even alot better then too, especially the childrens rides. The scooby doo haunted house was a Hanna Barbara land where you went through it like a tunnel of love type ride--IT WAS AWESOME. The Train ride was so much more. It was full of pioneer type stuff. When I took my children last year I was devastated. They took out everything basically. WHY????? Also what ever happened to the shops that sold real leather stuff? I believe it was in River Town. Now its all food shops and games. I understand things change and are updated, but what King's Island was back then is much better than it is today. The changes definitely were NOT for the better, except for the Water Park, and a couple of the rides. I know Nicolodeon characters are the now, but Hanna Barbara will never die, and is much better. Sometimes changes aren't better. Whoever made the changes whether it was Cedar Fair or whoever needs to look back at what it was and change it back. Keep the good rides that have been added, add back the good ones that were great back then including the witches cauldron and the Hanna Barbara land. They should bring back all the Hanna characters and send Dora over to Cedar Point. Bring back all the good shops they use to have. Bring back the Hanna signs in the parking lot instead of the coaster signs, and bring back the trolly. Also PLEASE put the train ride back. It was educational along with enjoying. SCOOBY AND HIS FRIENDS ROCK! :P

wow AZ... that's about the most sensible thing I've read on these boards.

No offense to Stremmefan, but 16 years between visits is a long time. Kings Island was barely past 16 years old when your last visit was (19 if you're doing the math).

The details on the train ride were bound to change or die out. KI is a regional park, not a vacation destination.... there's only so many times you can "save the lady from the train" in front of the same crowd before it gets old. Without the water park- the train ride is no longer there. Enchanted Voyage was removed by KECO and had nothing to do with Paramount... as a matter of fact, they're the ones that brought Scooby back to that location.

I agree the shops could be better placed. this is a food stop... but Panda Express really doesn't "fit" in a German themed area/building (Festhaus). I would like to see CF the volume up on some of the themed areas.

for the most part I agree with your post- but many things are in the past and not likely to make a comeback. I like the Jetsons but I don't know when the last time I saw them on TV was.... even longer for Yogi. Nick's time will go in time also. anything beyond that see AZ's post.

No offense to Stremmefan, but 16 years between visits is a long time. Kings Island was barely past 16 years old when your last visit was (19 if you're doing the math).

The details on the train ride were bound to change or die out. KI is a regional park, not a vacation destination.... there's only so many times you can "save the lady from the train" in front of the same crowd before it gets old. Without the water park- the train ride is no longer there. Enchanted Voyage was removed by KECO and had nothing to do with Paramount... as a matter of fact, they're the ones that brought Scooby back to that location.

I agree the shops could be better placed. this is a food stop... but Panda Express really doesn't "fit" in a German themed area/building (Festhaus). I would like to see CF the volume up on some of the themed areas.

for the most part I agree with your post- but many things are in the past and not likely to make a comeback. I like the Jetsons but I don't know when the last time I saw them on TV was.... even longer for Yogi. Nick's time will go in time also. anything beyond that see AZ's post.

Who's to say that KI is not a vacation destination? To me it is. I live in South Bend, IN. It isn't a drive to make all the time. I took my family of 6 on vacation to KI to give them the enjoyment of my youth. I wanted to give them a part of what I enjoyed. KI was always an awesome vacation spot to me. I spent over $1500 to do this as I live on a limited income. Yes, my family enjoyed it, and want to go again. I just wanted to point out that back in the day KI was a much more awesome amusement park than it is today. :P

KI was built when there were only 4 or 5 TV channels, no Internet, cell phones, urban sprawl, etc. The world has changed very much since those days. KI used to be a unique amusement experience in the middle of a very pastoral setting. Now, it's a cookie-cutter park in an interstate corridor, surrounded by expanding growth and development. It used to have soothing, up-beat and melodious music that gave the feel of being in a very special place; whereas now it pipes in music you can just hear on any radio. The theming and ride-name concepts connected the park to its southwest Ohio heritage. It feels more like a giant, expensive carnival now.

The culture is much different, too. In the early days of KI, you didn't see and hear so much of the rudeness, sarcasm and disrespect as you see today (people running, line jumping, or imbiciles mouthing off to staff, security, etc.). Families were much tighter, and many more people respected and understood the concept of common courtesy than these days.

KI is still a nice escape from the real world; I just wish the negative stuff of the real world would disappear once everyone gets through the gates.

KI was built when there were only 4 or 5 TV channels, no Internet, cell phones, urban sprawl, etc. The world has changed very much since those days. KI used to be a unique amusement experience in the middle of a very pastoral setting. Now, it's a cookie-cutter park in an interstate corridor, surrounded by expanding growth and development. It used to have soothing, up-beat and melodious music that gave the feel of being in a very special place; whereas now it pipes in music you can just hear on any radio. The theming and ride-name concepts connected the park to its southwest Ohio heritage. It feels more like a giant, expensive carnival now.

The culture is much different, too. In the early days of KI, you didn't see and hear so much of the rudeness, sarcasm and disrespect as you see today (people running, line jumping, or imbiciles mouthing off to staff, security, etc.). Families were much tighter, and many more people respected and understood the concept of common courtesy than these days.

KI is still a nice escape from the real world; I just wish the negative stuff of the real world would disappear once everyone gets through the gates.

There were actually 5 Local Stations at that time. 5 - 12 -9 - 19 and 48. Some could tune in 22 and 7 on a good day. The park was born long before 64 came around.

Ohhh, I remember the old Star 64 Converter boxes. LOL

Who's to say that KI is not a vacation destination? To me it is. I live in South Bend, IN. It isn't a drive to make all the time. I took my family of 6 on vacation to KI to give them the enjoyment of my youth. I wanted to give them a part of what I enjoyed. KI was always an awesome vacation spot to me. I spent over $1500 to do this as I live on a limited income. Yes, my family enjoyed it, and want to go again. I just wanted to point out that back in the day KI was a much more awesome amusement park than it is today. :P

Not that I want to speak for AZ, but, what I think he was getting at is KI is not a resort destination like Cedar Point. You can basically do everything KI has to offer in a day. CP, it takes 2-3 days to do it all. AZ can correct me if I'm wrong.

For CP, they really don't sell all that many season passes, especially compared to KI. CP relies more on those who buy resort packages and stay for 2-3 days.

I grew up in south bend as well. Kings Island is a great place to visit still. i live in Indy now and make the trip down to ki several times a year. time stands still in the bend perhaps thats why you were so shocked to see so many changes at ki, change is something you may not be used to living in that god awful place. lol

I would have to say that K.I. is a vacation destination. For example, when I lived in Florida, Disney, Sea World, Universal, Busch Gardens, were the local norms. Everyone had been there, or had year passes to go there. However, people were always interested in hearing about Kings Island, Cedar Point, etc. from up north. These were the places that Florida natives wanted to go. In fact, in June of this year, I have some friends, Travis, Jeremy, and Stephanie whom I attended classes at the University of Florida with, coming up to spend about 2 weeks with me here to visit Kings Island, Cedar Point, and The Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. And let me tell you that they are very excited for the opportunity to get to experience these places that to them will be all brand new.

And I don't think that they are alone.

I have only been to King's Island 5 times. 1979, 1981, 1983, 1991, and 2007. The first few times I was at King's Island it was awesome. When it was all Hanna Barbara Characters. The characters were also posted as signs in the parking lot so you knew where you parked along with a trolly that took you back and forth. The rides were even alot better then too, especially the childrens rides. The scooby doo haunted house was a Hanna Barbara land where you went through it like a tunnel of love type ride--IT WAS AWESOME. The Train ride was so much more. It was full of pioneer type stuff. When I took my children last year I was devastated. They took out everything basically. WHY????? Also what ever happened to the shops that sold real leather stuff? I believe it was in River Town. Now its all food shops and games. I understand things change and are updated, but what King's Island was back then is much better than it is today. The changes definitely were NOT for the better, except for the Water Park, and a couple of the rides. I know Nicolodeon characters are the now, but Hanna Barbara will never die, and is much better. Sometimes changes aren't better. Whoever made the changes whether it was Cedar Fair or whoever needs to look back at what it was and change it back. Keep the good rides that have been added, add back the good ones that were great back then including the witches cauldron and the Hanna Barbara land. They should bring back all the Hanna characters and send Dora over to Cedar Point. Bring back all the good shops they use to have. Bring back the Hanna signs in the parking lot instead of the coaster signs, and bring back the trolly. Also PLEASE put the train ride back. It was educational along with enjoying. SCOOBY AND HIS FRIENDS ROCK! :P

Honestly, You have only been to the park twice since I've been born.

I was around for the end of the Hanna Barbara era at Kings Island. I like Nick Universe better than I liked Hanna Barbara Land. I like the park more now than I did when I was younger. This might account for the fact that I was too young to truly enjoy the park though.

Obviously everyone has their own opinions and preferences.

Lol, the only true complaint about Kings Island I have about Kings Island now is that food prices are about as bad as gas prices. Oh and I have a complaint about Tomb Raider. Lol, I think it's just waste of space and too unreliable. It's down more than it runs. Much like SoB, but hopefully that's been settled and SoB will stay up and running and continuing to give some good and bearable rides.

I grew up in south bend as well. Kings Island is a great place to visit still. i live in Indy now and make the trip down to ki several times a year. time stands still in the bend perhaps thats why you were so shocked to see so many changes at ki, change is something you may not be used to living in that god awful place. lol

I LOVE SOUTH BEND! I would NEVER live anywhere else. Time does not stand still anywhere. Where I live in South Bend there has been changes after changes. Have you been here lately? I'm not shocked to see changes at KI, in fact some of the changes were good. The water park is EXCELLENT. They have also put in some great rides. The majority of the changes were NOT so good. There seems to be less rides, they took out alot of the good rides, along with alot of the good children's rides. Look at the Smurf's Enchanted Voyage. That was an excellent ride. They didn't have to take it out, they could of just changed the theme. Now its the Scooby Doo haunted house--BORING. Look at the train ride. At one time there was alot of educational scenery, now it's BORING. Just a ride pass a water ride through the trees to the water park. Why take the scenery out? If thats the case, shorten the track and add more children's rides for the little bit older kids. Not all visitors are coaster riders nor are they between the ages of 2 & 5. Add more water rides.That would be GREAT! What about all the cool shops in Rivertown. Everything is either food shops or games now. Its not the changes that I'm against. I understand changes are made all over. I LOVE KI and to me its the best. Its just not as GREAT as it use to be. Also Hanna Barbera has the BEST characters. KEEP THEM AROUND!!!!!

Not that I want to speak for AZ, but, what I think he was getting at is KI is not a resort destination like Cedar Point. You can basically do everything KI has to offer in a day. CP, it takes 2-3 days to do it all. AZ can correct me if I'm wrong.

For CP, they really don't sell all that many season passes, especially compared to KI. CP relies more on those who buy resort packages and stay for 2-3 days.

When I took my family to KI it took us 2 days to ride everything. The 1st day the weather was not the greatest--no rain, but crappy enough to keep the crowd away. NO LINES----S-W-E-E-T! The 2nd day was the water park, then back to the amusement park later in the day. Both days we were there open to close. We still could of stayed another day and enjoyed it. So there is no way to do it in one day!

I find it both ironic and sad that, because you apparently do not appreciate the significance of the train, even as it runs today, you advocate shortening it to install more rides. Let me assure you, if the train is in any way shortened, it will be removed. Many cherish and adore the train, just as much or more as you did Enchanted Voyage. You yourself are advocating changes that many would find just as bad or worse than the ones you don't like . . .

BTW Firehawk is that a Vekoma Air Jumper on your banner?

Hmmm, Isn't that Delirium? Or are you looking at something different than I am?

You're right, Smitty! I couldn't find my glasses yesterday. Now, I see that it is indeed Delerium (all the cool sparkles added a little more difficulty). It really looked like an AJ to me, but now I see it. Thanks! B)

vekomaAirJumper.jpg

A Vekoma Air Jumper

I find it both ironic and sad that, because you apparently do not appreciate the significance of the train, even as it runs today, you advocate shortening it to install more rides. Let me assure you, if the train is in any way shortened, it will be removed. Many cherish and adore the train, just as much or more as you did Enchanted Voyage. You yourself are advocating changes that many would find just as bad or worse than the ones you don't like . . .

Let me assure you I am one of the ones that cherish and adore the train. What they had before in the train ride made it ALOT more enjoyable. They won't remove it anyway. Now it just seems like an alternate way for visitors to get to the waterpark. When I was on the train last year another lady was also concerned as to why they took everything out. They left about 2 - 3 things and took the rest out. WHY???? She also thought it made the train ride boring. So I'm sure i'm not the only one. I think the train ride is as important as the Eiffel Tower. But since I noticed the changes. I won't go on it unless I'm trying to get to the water park.

Let me assure you I am one of the ones that cherish and adore the train. What they had before in the train ride made it ALOT more enjoyable. They won't remove it anyway.

-We never thought they'd remove the antique cars or flying scooters either, anything can happen in the day of the McTheme Park.

Now it just seems like an alternate way for visitors to get to the waterpark.

-Which is how the previous two owners used it and viewed that as its best role.

When I was on the train last year another lady was also concerned as to why they took everything out. They left about 2 - 3 things and took the rest out. WHY???? She also thought it made the train ride boring. So I'm sure i'm not the only one. I think the train ride is as important as the Eiffel Tower. But since I noticed the changes. I won't go on it unless I'm trying to get to the water park.

-Unfortunately, the train had to sacrifice its show for Kings Island to have a water park, but when you think about it, they didn't really have any other option. I'm sure there would have been more guests upset with the long walk to the water park than there were guests upset about the train losing its show.

I would like to know when you went to Cedar Point! I went several days in June, and we did nearly every ride in the park in about 8 hours. Those were Tuesdays I believe. TTD had lines about 45 minutes at most all day, it was awesome!

Well, in case you didn't know, June is not exaclty one of CP's busiest months. At the height of the season, July & August, you basically can't do everything in a day. Of course, there will be exceptions, but for the most part, I don't see everyone riding 68 rides in a single day.

my quote button isnt working on my phone... ya Ive been to the bend recently im there every few months because my parents live there. after about two days i cant wait to get back to Indy. the only stuff i like about the bend is nd, silver beach is close, and hacienda. also the winter down here is 10 times more bearable even though its only 2 hours south.

I would have to say that K.I. is a vacation destination. For example, when I lived in Florida, Disney, Sea World, Universal, Busch Gardens, were the local norms. Everyone had been there, or had year passes to go there. However, people were always interested in hearing about Kings Island, Cedar Point, etc. from up north. These were the places that Florida natives wanted to go. In fact, in June of this year, I have some friends, Travis, Jeremy, and Stephanie whom I attended classes at the University of Florida with, coming up to spend about 2 weeks with me here to visit Kings Island, Cedar Point, and The Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. And let me tell you that they are very excited for the opportunity to get to experience these places that to them will be all brand new.

And I don't think that they are alone.

How many days did your friends spend at each park? If it's not more than 3 days, then it's really not a vacation destination. People go to the beach for a week. Most people don't go to KI or CP or most any amusement park for more than a day or two.

^Very true most people dont unless you are going some place that has like an indoor waterpark or you are a real real hardcore amusement fan and you just love the sheer fun of going to an amusement park. For me i went to CP 3 days in a row this year an di enjoyed every minute of it and then on my way back to Ky. we stopped by Kings Island and stayed at the hampton inn right across the way. So i guess you can say for me that was a vacation.

I too was upset by the changes that were made in the "Paramount" regime. Ultimately though, I knew I had no control over it and like has been said, change is inevitable. The people (CF) who are running the park know what they're doing. If something changes, it happens for a reason. There are many things to consider when either adding an attraction or removing one, and I'm sure every angle is covered before a decision is made. Change has happened, is happening and will continue to happen, we can only hope that the changes being made do not degrade the experience or the park itself.