The Bat that never was

Vortex

Shane over at TPR has let me post some pictures of The Bat. Please be sure to check out his pictures.

suspended_corkscrew_155.jpg

Yes that's a Bat car testing out a corkscrew. The Bat was going to have two corkscrews as you can see in this map of the first lay out of the ride.

layout_182.jpg

But Arrow did not have any luck with the corkscrews thats why it did not make its way to Kings Island.

Edited by Vortex
  • Like 18

Vortex, you didn't have to remove them. Thank you for sharing them. The way Donnie's post was made me think he was just going to add those photos on TPR to his own collection, and I was just reminding him to give credit to the original poster of the photos like you did in the original post.

Sorry I read that wrong, but I talk to Shane and he said it was okay to share.

• 5 years later...

It would never have worked without stabilization from the top and from the bottom of the coaster....like it is stabilized upon reentry into the station. That could have been extremely rough mid course to slam into the stabilizer before a corkscrew or a loop. Anyone riding on Flight deck on it's return to the station knows what I'm talking about. (slight speed and not at 45 miles per hour of course.)

I'd think that if they tried this today, they could have some kind of sensor based thing where, at certain points of the track, it could lock the shocks on the car and prevent it from swaying. Once it was past the inversion, it could unlock the cars and let them sway again. Doubt we'd ever see that today, but I'd think the technology is there by now.

From the first post...

Yes that's a Bat car testing out a corkscrew. The Bat was going to have two corkscrews as you can see in this map of the first lay out of the ride.

layout_182.jpg

I don't see any corkscrews in that concept art - I think the two spirals are just basic helices (as clearly seen in the ride overview here). I'm sure Arrow Dynamics had wanted to incorporate inversions into the ride, but by the time it was announced to the public (and that little piece of concept art was drawn), the idea had been quietly abandoned.

• Like 4

Found a picture of The Bat trains testing on a corkscrew track.

Curious... am I missing something? How do you know those are Bat trains? I just see chassis.

None-the-less... it's highly likely The Bat trains could have been used for further testing in Utah once their production had occurred. It was likely this test that proved the stablization to be an issue.

Seems obvious to me, so I am a bit surprised it made it to the actual physical testing stage. Just think about it. The train would need to hit the inversion at the perfect speed - not too slow, not too fast. In a scenario where weight fluctuates dependant upon riders ensuring an exact rate of speed is nearly impossible.

Not a great a picture you can kinda make one of The Bat cars.

163f14211d44e2eb7e9f9078996d26e4.jpg

I am not saying it was going to Kings Island just what could have been if it worked out.

f8d967ca23e0cfce1c5f7a91b57fa0c1.jpg

In the background the Arrow bobsled coaster.

Both coasters where at the Arrow testing area.

• Like 3