Racer

Guest faceoff

Guest faceoff

Does anybody know, will The Racer still be running backwards for the 2008 season? I found no mention of this in the

racer's description on the website.

Personally, I would welcome both Racers going forwards because I don't enjoy backwards that much. Call me old fashioned, but I like to see where I'm going. :lol:

Lol, I like the backward racer more. I like the fact that I can't see where I'm going. More thrilling for me. Lol, my friend and I were going up the lift hill on it and we were just having a conversation and all of a sudden we both were screaming. Lol, we forgot about the ride and before we knew it, we were off. It was hilarious.

The Racer

The twin-tracked Racer is a traditional wooden out-and-back coaster and credited for re-igniting the coaster building boom in the early 1970’s, thus beginning the second golden age of the roller coaster. To honor The Racer’s staying power, the American Coaster Enthusiasts named this popular ride an “ACE Roller Coaster Landmark” during a ceremony at the park last year, making it one of only 14 coasters in the world with landmark status. In addition, The Racer is also notable for its appearance in the Cincinnati Kids episode of The Brady Bunch, filmed at the park in 1973.

HEIGHT REQUIREMENT: 48" MIN

The description of Racer has been changed at visitkingsisland.com. It looks to be it actually be true, that Backwards Racer is no more. :(

You might also want to read the now current descriptions of Rebel Yell and Thunder Road at their respective parks' websites. Interestingly, though, the pictures still show the oppositely facing trains...for now.

The Backward racer is my favorite! You can't see where you are going and that makes it all the better.

I have a fantasy that one day The Beast will go backward. Yes, I know it won't that's why its a fantasy. Oh, but could you imagine??????? I love going backwards, sideways, upside down, staying upside down............................Gosh, I miss KI these days.

They better leave what is great ALONE!!!!!

Well that's just what I hope for, leaving the backward Racer as is.

I hope the Interpreter is right on target.

yeah, because wouldn't they have to flip the brakes to the other side?, and The Racers have been going backwards for so long that most people probably don't even know that both sides ran forwards. So I think that they should keep it backwards, people say "oh I don't like backwards so I don't care if they switch it." Thats the point! People who want to go backwards ride backwards, and people who ride forwards, ride forwards! Racer Forwards never has too long of a line, so if they divided that line up into 2 seperate lines! you could get on after like 2 trains practically all the time!

If they both do go forwards I hope they race them. I hope they don't pull some silly trick, and only run one side per day. That would suck.

Since that's what C.P. does on occasion with Gemini, that may be what they have in mind. You would only have to staff one side on a light day. I would personally be insulted if they did this since I have a lot of love for Racer, and I have never been to KI to find it down except for the bare bones nights. It is a favorite little tradition of mine, and if they close what is now the forward side, it would be like going to KI and not getting to visit an old friend.

I would personally be insulted if they did this since I have a lot of love for Racer, and I have never been to KI to find it down except for the bare bones nights. It is a favorite little tradition of mine, and if they close what is now the forward side, it would be like going to KI and not getting to visit an old friend.

Personally be insulted? I can see disappointed. But personally insulted? That is taking enthusiasm to the next level.

What happens when the momma jokes start flying? Castration to the offender?

;)

Didn't Thunder Road have some work on the turn around on the left side. I thought it was kinda odd Thunder Road forward side is the backwords side on The Racers at Kings Island. One thing I do miss is that last bunny hill on The Racers I was so glad Thunder Road still had it.

When was the last time both sides of The Racers want Forwards?

Let's not put the cart before the horse.

We have no confirmation that both trains will be facing forward in 2008.

-and-

We have no confirmation that if both trains are facing forward, that only one side may be operating on certain days.

And while it may be a culture shock to some, if the decision is made to only operate on side for a portion of a day or only on certain days, it really is no different than other parks have done in the past. I.E.: Rebel Yell at KD occaisionally does not operate both sides when the park opens and as mentioned earlier Gemini at CP does the same thing. Now Colossus at SFMM rarely races anymore.

If they do make the change to both sides facing forward, I will be dissapointed. I love The Racer and enjoy both the forwards and backwards sides. There are differences in the experiences for sure and I like being able to look into the faces of the people on the other side when they DO race. It's especially cool if they are timed right and you can watch people screaming down the first drop.

I also think that it will be interesting to see how many people show up, get in line for Recar and don't even notice that they have changed it (that is, if they make the change) until they are getting ready to board. It always cracks me up to be at the park and watch people that don't have a clue. There could probably be a whole topic on things like this that happen, but last season I was in line for FOF and a guy pointed to FH and said, "Oh! There's "The Vortex", we're gonna ride that next!" (And trust me, he was not pointing to the lift hill of Vortex, he was pointing at FH.) I wouldn't laugh at someone who was visiting KI for the first time, but he just finished telling everyone in his group how he comes to the park every year and didn't need a guide book. My daughter just looked up at me and grinned a huge grin which made me laugh out loud!

Anyway, I love The Racer, forward/backward, just as long as it's up and running, we'll be riding it!

And while it may be a culture shock to some, if the decision is made to only operate on side for a portion of a day or only on certain days, it really is no different than other parks have done in the past. I.E.: Rebel Yell at KD occaisionally does not operate both sides when the park opens and as mentioned earlier Gemini at CP does the same thing. Now Colossus at SFMM rarely races anymore.

That also (in my opinion) defeats the purpose of a racing coaster, but I know it's done and that it could be just a budget issue.

Personally be insulted? I can see disappointed. But personally insulted? That is taking enthusiasm to the next level.

What happens when the momma jokes start flying? Castration to the offender?

Okay maybe I went a little too far, but severely disappointed--yes.

Let's not put the cart before the horse.

We have no confirmation that both trains will be facing forward in 2008.

Exactly! Although, we did notice that Wikipedia shows "turned around for 2008." Now before we go nuts--yes I know Wikipedia is not a reliable source, it is just interesting. I also find it interesting that it happens to be there and the description on visitkingsisland.com has been changed. Not confirmation by any stretch of the imagination, but it is interesting.

When was the last time both sides of The Racers want Forwards?

I can't take it anymore! I'm going to have to reiterate this. The ride at Kings Island that this post is referring to is The Racer not The Racers.

Why would you think that it is a budget thing?

Wouldn't making the change for the trains cost more than leaving them alone?

The change is not all that costly, and rather quite simple. As far as Kings Island and Kings Dominion are concerned, they're just going to flip the brake fins and the main support beam on the opposite side of the PTC undercarriages. Both those things come off anyways in regular off season maintenance, so it won't take any more time and if those parts need be replaced it will just be like any other off season. Other parks in the past have stated that they discontinued backwards coasters due to insurance costs, while I don't know if thats the case for sure, a lot of testing and inspection does have to go into a backwards facing roller coaster. This will also give them the option of running one side during the weekdays of the full season and both sides during the weekend, or some sort of arrangement. This way they can spread some extra workers out to other areas. Even though The Racer has a minimum of 3 employees on one side, 3 employees in other areas can make a big difference at KI. As with both Beast and Racer, each ride's trains receive a fresh coat of paint in the off season, what will be interesting to see is if we get Red Racer and Blue Racer or Racer North and Racer South.

Like Brown said, nothing is confirmed yet. If it does in fact prove to be true I hope they don't try to market if Cedar Fair is "restoring The Racers" or "restoring the old charm" unless they give the ride some serious TLC. If they just flip the trains around and not paint the structure or at least clean up the station, then that marketing angle is a bunch of phooey. Even so, as long as the ride runs good I won't be too terribly disappointed, I definitely won't take it as a personal insult :rolleyes: