Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle

Smitty

Sccoby Doo and the Haunted Castle opened in 2003, when the kid's area was still known as Hanna-Barbera Land. After the park rethemed the area to Nick Universe in 2006, Scooby and his castle were nudged off to be officially listed as a part of International Street. (Not that SDatHC has much to do with an international flavor, either)

As of the writing of this post, however, Kings Island's site appears to be listing SDatHC as a part of Nick Universe (at least on the attraction's page):

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/attraction...l.cfm?ai_id=144

Back in the day KI was all Hanna Barbera characters. In my opinion I wish it would have stayed that way. SCOOBY AND FRIENDS ROCK!!!! Where the scooby doo haunted house is now use to be THE SMUFS ENCHANTED VOYAGE it was awesome.I think they should of kept that and if anything had to change just change the theme. But keep the voyage. Also still to this day alot of kids still enjoy hanna Barbara. My children loves them more than any other cartoon characters, and so do my neices and nephews. They all ranges between the ages of 3 and 19. I think Hanna Barbara should be kept alive. Nickolodein will not live no where as long. PLEASE KI GO BACK TO SCOOBY AND HIS FRIENDS! B)

I too prefer Hanna-Barbera characters to Nickelodeon. If it were up to me, Hanna-Barbera Land would still be there. And I'm happy to report that my 3 year old son watches Boomerang with me to see the old H-B characters.

However, most of today's children watch Nickelodeon and are not too familiar with Hanna-Barbera, other than Scooby Doo. From the business point of view, it did make sense to replace H-B Land with Nickelodeon Universe. Today's kids want to see characters and themes that they are familiar with. It's simple marketing.

Best regards,

Italian Chef

[[Mimics Casey Kasem as "Shaggy"]] - "Like, zoinks, Scoob! This place sure has gotten weird over the last 20 years! Talking sponges? Like, babies flying around on green dinosaurs? A giant, bald skateboarder?! We'd better stay inside!"

I can actually hear Shaggy saying that! Good imitation!

Taken in that the light, the Hanna-Barbera characters do seem more realistic than the Nickelodeon characters. Talking animals such as Scooby Doo, Yogi Bear, and Magilla Gorilla seem more realistic than a talking sponge that lives under the sea and works as a fry cook. I mean seriously, how can anyone cook under the sea? Fire cannot exist in water. And another thing, how can a crab be the father of a whale?

And H-B never had any creature as odd as Catdog.

Taken in that the light, the Hanna-Barbera characters do seem more realistic than the Nickelodeon characters. Talking animals such as Scooby Doo, Yogi Bear, and Magilla Gorilla seem more realistic than a talking sponge that lives under the sea and works as a fry cook. I mean seriously, how can anyone cook under the sea? Fire cannot exist in water. And another thing, how can a crab be the father of a whale?

Say what you want about Spongebob, but at least he's trying to make something of himself. Yeah, he may have started as a fry cook, but he'll be a manager some day, and it won't be long until he owns his own chain of Krusty Krabs.

Do you really expect cartoons to be realistic?

Back in the day KI was all Hanna Barbera characters. In my opinion I wish it would have stayed that way. SCOOBY AND FRIENDS ROCK!!!! Where the scooby doo haunted house is now use to be THE SMUFS ENCHANTED VOYAGE it was awesome.I think they should of kept that and if anything had to change just change the theme. But keep the voyage. Also still to this day alot of kids still enjoy hanna Barbara. My children loves them more than any other cartoon characters, and so do my neices and nephews. They all ranges between the ages of 3 and 19. I think Hanna Barbara should be kept alive. Nickolodein will not live no where as long. PLEASE KI GO BACK TO SCOOBY AND HIS FRIENDS! B)

I agree with this statement. But I think that the issue isn't even so much what kids like today. Because lets face it, if the park had the space and the money, they would constantly be expanding and keep as much up and running as possible to get people of all ages to come in, and have a little bit of something for everyone.

But the reality is that Kings Island, regardless of owner is pretty much limited on funding and like it or not, space. It makes sense for a smaller park to be managed in a way that keeps it fresh and new to childrens eyes. Because that is what the local market really is. Parents wanting memories with and for their children.

Parks like Disney are not as subject to this, and this is what makes them so unique. Their budgets and Massive space for expansion are certainly key factors, and no matter when you go to the park, you can see virtually any character from some point in Disney's History somewhere in one of the parks. This makes it timeless. But again, they have the space and the money to do this, where our seasonal local park does not.

But even Disney cannot keep everything going on seemingly forever. The Swiss Family Robinson TreeHouse is an excellent example of this. In Magic Kingdom, in the very near future, the walkthrough treehouse is to be replaced with a walkthrough "Black Pearl" from Pirates of the Caribbean. But in the vast world of Disney, I think that this change, despite the loss is a very good decision. The "Black Pearl" would certainly bring in more guests to the park. And unlike the constant airing of Hanna Barbera cartoons on networks like Boomerang and Cartoon Network, where would anyone today see or have much interest in the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse?

And unlike the constant airing of Hanna Barbera cartoons on networks like...Cartoon Network...

Great points on everything up to this point. Cartoon Network very rarely ever shows any classic cartoons, at least whenever I turn it on...they're usually showing Dragonball Z, family guy, american dad, etc.....i just checked the listing for the next 48+ hours and counted FIVE episodes of older cartoons....a couple of Tom and Jerry and one Bugs Bunny....(I should also note that these are not Hannah Barbera characters)

I unfortunately don't have "Boomerang"...Do they strictly show classic cartoons?

for boomerang almost 88% of their programming is classic.

and for Kings Island it would be nice to have kept the voyage but things change, and change is not always good but change happens.

For the better sometimes, but yes the voyage was good, but who knows if the boats were getting old etc. , Maintenance people destroying stuff more.

and as for nick its todays thing maybe not tomorrow.

So a size of Kings Island change is going to happen, and with their budgets each year, its not the house of mouse.

And unlike the constant airing of Hanna Barbera cartoons on networks like...Cartoon Network...

Great points on everything up to this point. Cartoon Network very rarely ever shows any classic cartoons, at least whenever I turn it on...they're usually showing Dragonball Z, family guy, american dad, etc.....i just checked the listing for the next 48+ hours and counted FIVE episodes of older cartoons....a couple of Tom and Jerry and one Bugs Bunny....(I should also note that these are not Hannah Barbera characters)

I unfortunately don't have "Boomerang"...Do they strictly show classic cartoons?

"Boomerang" is awesome in my opinion. They show The Smurfs, Scooby Doo, Top Cat, The Jetsons, Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Tom and Jerry, just to name a few. They also dig up one hit wonder cartoons. For example an old cartoon directed by ( in my opinion ) the Great Chuck Jones, which was called "The Bear Who Wasn't." I had never even heard of this cartoon before, but it sure was unique to watch. These old vault cartoons are ( again in my opinion ) the absolute best. And Boomerang is just full of them.

It seems to me that Cartoons have gotten edgier in what they portray over the last ten years. I can't stand to watch most of the stuff on Nickelodeon anymore. CatDog was always a weird one in my book. All That got more "thug" "inner-city" however you prefer. I will not say the shows are worse than the ones I watched, because it is a different era, I just feel that Fairly odd Parents can't live up to Rocket Power which taught some great lessons. Or even Rocco's modern life or Doug. This is all my opinion and I won't debate anyone, I feel we are all welcome to our own tastes and identities, I just feel that recent cartoons except for Spongebob are all about entertainment through the exploitation of the current culture of today's young people. There is nothing wrong with this sentiment, I just prefer my cartoons to relate to ideals in my life and have some message to them. I just don't see this today except for in a limited number of cartoons. I also like comedy, I can laugh in many instances in Scooby or Tom and Jerry, even Spongebob. I never have found CatDog or any other Nickelodeon show created in the last several years to be funny however.

Boomerang also shows Justice League Unlimited, the newer Batman Cartoon, and the Super Friends. Since getting laid off, I watch them all every night as I can sleep later until the next full-time job comes.

Boomerang is my favorite station. Even my 3-year old son watches it - and more than he does Nickelodeon. He's learned to love Yogi Bear.

I tend to watch boomerang every now and then especially when Scooby Doo or some other old HB cartoon comes on. I am not really too fond of the new Justice League Superman or Batman ones. Today they aired an episode of Scooby Doo that i had not seen in a while it was the one where they meet that Witch Doctor in the hills and they are rustling cows in a cow costume it was pretty god to see after a while.

I think we should all be grateful that they kept one Scooby attrction to preserve the history of the park. I loved H-B when I was a kid, but today's kids like Nick......So I hope today's kids think of the park with Nick in the same way as I did with H-B. And I also hope that my ch8ildren still love the park when THEY are nearly 40..... Change is inevitable, but not necessarily bad..........

I agree with this statement. But I think that the issue isn't even so much what kids like today. Because lets face it, if the park had the space and the money, they would constantly be expanding and keep as much up and running as possible to get people of all ages to come in, and have a little bit of something for everyone.

But the reality is that Kings Island, regardless of owner is pretty much limited on funding and like it or not, space. It makes sense for a smaller park to be managed in a way that keeps it fresh and new to childrens eyes. Because that is what the local market really is. Parents wanting memories with and for their children.

Parks like Disney are not as subject to this, and this is what makes them so unique. Their budgets and Massive space for expansion are certainly key factors, and no matter when you go to the park, you can see virtually any character from some point in Disney's History somewhere in one of the parks. This makes it timeless. But again, they have the space and the money to do this, where our seasonal local park does not.

But even Disney cannot keep everything going on seemingly forever. The Swiss Family Robinson TreeHouse is an excellent example of this. In Magic Kingdom, in the very near future, the walkthrough treehouse is to be replaced with a walkthrough "Black Pearl" from Pirates of the Caribbean. But in the vast world of Disney, I think that this change, despite the loss is a very good decision. The "Black Pearl" would certainly bring in more guests to the park. And unlike the constant airing of Hanna Barbera cartoons on networks like Boomerang and Cartoon Network, where would anyone today see or have much interest in the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse?

The space is ONLY true of Walt Disney World in Florida. Disneyland is only 100 acres, about the size of Coney Mall and Action Zone combined. The Magic Kingdom alone in Florida is seven acres larger than Disneyland. But Tokyo Disneyland has only 126 acres, Hong Kong has only 310 acres (less than the developed portion of Kings Island).

So, space is really a limiting factor at the Disney parks, too; except in Florida. The WDW Resort has 30,000 acres, of which only 7100 acres are developed! Even there, the Studios Park (I want to say MGM so badly!) has only 154 acres. One of the major reasons the Florida resort is so massive is that Walt realized that he had hemmed himself in with the California land acquisition, which had at the time seemed massive. Ironically, the Florida large scale land acquistion has not been repeated at the other, newer parks. So many make the mistake of thinking that the Florida parks ARE Disney, and that what is true there is true of all the Disney parks.

Just like it won't be long before Squidward can actually play the clarinet well and become the greatest undersea musician ever.

He'll be the only undersea musician ever!

As said in the episode where spongebob tries to fly:

"I was supposed to be a concert Pianist! Untill I realised I didn't have any hands."

Even with the change of the characters they could of changed the theme of The Voyage. Even if the boats were getting bad or if it needed repairs, I'm sure it would have been less expensive to repair instead of redoing the whole ride. By changing the theme, even I would have preferred keeping it H-B, but it could have been changed to Nick or whatever and still would of been a great ride. It sure beats the Haunted House. That is pretty boring. Its a ride it once ride. PLEASE KI BRING THE VOYAGE BACK!!!!!!!! :)

Not to mention that The Voyage is a ride over at Holiday World, and a Will and Paula cringe anytime refers to any Kings Island ride by that name. The removal of the boats and water from the Enchanted Voyage no doubt lessened liability exposure. I can't imagine them ever coming back. If you miss the ride that badly, you simply MUST get to Six Flags Over Georgia and ride Monster Plantation, while you still can. The day is doubtless coming when that will also be gone.

Not to mention that The Voyage is a ride over at Holiday World, and a Will and Paula cringe anytime refers to any Kings Island ride by that name. The removal of the boats and water from the Enchanted Voyage no doubt lessened liability exposure. I can't imagine them ever coming back. If you miss the ride that badly, you simply MUST get to Six Flags Over Georgia and ride Monster Plantation, while you still can. The day is doubtless coming when that will also be gone.

How was there liability exposure? It was a mile an hour boat ride in very shallow water. Theres more liability exposure on every other ride in the park. So how is liability exposure even an issue? It was an awesome ride for all ages. Even to change the theme of the voyage to Nick or whatever would have kept it great. If the boats were bad, buy new boats, if repairs needed to be done, repair it. It still would have been cheaper than to redo the whole ride. The haunted house is very boring, the voyage was very enjoyable. That was definitely a ride for all ages. :(