Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle

Smitty

• 7 years later...

I think we need a great dark ride not shoot em up. 

I think Boo Blasters will and should become Peanuts ride shome heavy themed, ride maybe shooting pumpkins. 

Through a Fall theme. 

Or something .....

KI then get an elaborate ride over in River town or Coney Mall, maybe Phantoms theatre 2 or non shoot em up. 

• Like 1

The Scooby Doo Ride was great, emphasis on WAS. The guns work sporadically at best, half the animatronics don't even work, and the first half is boring, while the skeleton part even gives me the creeps. That building had a good run, but I think it should come down (that or the ride inside should be taken out). Maybe even use the building for a new shoot em up. Anyone know how much room that building takes up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won't speak for the building (not even sure nor would want to guess on the structure) but the building has housed and could house again an above average to great dark ride.

It has hosted the HB ride, the Smurfs, and Phantom. It hosted Scooby and now Boo.

Smurfs was (if I have read correctly) was a very well done redo of the ride with the track (boat) system not changing from the HB ride.

It was completely redone (and cut in half) for Phantom and a stage/theater.

Phantom was taken out and a good Scooby Ride was put in. Scooby left in a hurry an a half put together Boo ride replaced it and a boo haunt replaced the theater.

It's not the ride or the building its the planning and care put into th design of the ride that matters more.

• Like 2

I won't speak for the building (not even sure nor would want to guess on the structure) but the building has housed and could house again an above average to great dark ride.

It has hosted the HB ride, the Smurfs, and Phantom. It hosted Scooby and now Boo.

Smurfs was (if I have read correctly) was a very well done redo of the ride with the track (boat) system not changing from the HB ride.

It was completely redone (and cut in half) for Phantom and a stage/theater.

Phantom was taken out and a good Scooby Ride was put in. Scooby left in a hurry an a half put together Boo ride replaced it and a boo haunt replaced the theater.

It's not the ride or the building its the planning and care put into th design of the ride that matters more.

I totally agree with the part I bolded (sp?), italicized and underlined! 

But good god, I miss the enchanted theater! I wish they'd bring that back and kick out the clowns.

• Like 3

From what I've heard here, the reason Scooby-Doo left at all is because Snoopy's a one-pooch-per-park kinda dog. That, to me, still doesn't explain why the ride didn't become a Great Pumpkin dark ride or even a ride through the holidays with the Peanuts. I don't know at all what I'm talking about, but here are some of the imaginary problems that I could theoretically see standing in the way:

A) The licensing for the dark ride works differently. After all, the Cedar Fair parks were able to have Scooby-Doo even after the Hanna-Barbera license otherwise was over, right? The reason we cite for that is that the license was from Sally Corp. and not Paramount Parks / Cedar Fair (same reason Six Flags can have Scooby-Doo rides). Given that, perhaps Sally Corp. couldn't build a dark ride based on Peanuts without acquiring those rights themselves? In that case, creating a Peanuts dark ride might've meant it would have to come from in-house.

B ) The owners of the Peanuts objected or would object to the notion of the "shooting" dark ride. I think would be reasonable to imagine as a possibility. Especially in a Great Pumpkin dark ride, there's no reason to be shooting or "blasting" or whatever PC term they apply to it. Dr. Seuss's wife was infamously protective of the brand, insisting that it would never ever be in a theme park. Only after Universal proved it could do the brand justice did she relent, and with absolute 100% last-say on oversight on every single element. Not even saying Cedar Fair considered it because they might not have, but it's entirely possible that the owner of Peanuts would say, "Nah, no shooting."

C) Buying in bulk is important. Whatever Cedar Fair selected to replace Scooby-Doo, it would need to be cloned and exported to four of the former Paramount Parks. While our Scooby-Doo ride happened to be located near our kid's area, that's not necessarily the case at all the parks. At Carowinds, it's in the County Fair area. At Kings Dominion, it was in Kidzville or whatever, not the area that would be Planet Snoopy (though it is now). While making it a Peanuts ride would've worked for us due to the ride's location, that's not true at all of the parks. A more generic dark ride was needed across the chain. 

D) All are a bit different on the outside (a haunted castle, a haunted plantation house, a haunted manor, etc). It would be difficult to meld those all into a Peanuts theme or style.

Just a few thoughts!

• Like 6

Six Flags has a better time getting away with using the Scooby-Doo brand because of long-term rights to the Mystery Machine via Warner Bros. (who originally used to own the parks prior to 1998). Even then, only two Scooby-Doo attractions exist, with one at Fiesta Texas (Ghostblasters: Mystery of the Haunted Mansion) and the other at Parque Warner Madrid (Scooby-Doo Adventure). A third Doo-traction lies down under at Warner Bros. Movie World (Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster), but is based off the live-action film and has no shooting elements.

Really, though, the Sally-Doo dark rides are just reskinned versions of the original Ghost Blasters dark ride design that the company is known for. That's why it was so easy for Cedar Fair to "transform" the iconic Mystery Machine into the amusement park equivalent of an unmarked gray van.

As for the (no) shooting element, Tokyo Disneyland's Monsters Inc. Ride and Go Seek attraction is the perfect example of a more family-friendly "shooting" system, wherein guests have flashlights that interact with the environment:

Use this system to install a Peanuts attraction where the Gang are searching for the Great Pumpkin with flashlights with hilarious hijinxs ensuing and you have a hit on your hands.

• Like 6