I wish new rides would come soon

NatiReds084

Tomb Raider was amazing when all the themeing was working it wasnt really meant to be as thrilling as other top spins, maybe the new program will change that.

Oh really, you mean to tell us that a big time amusement park put in a ride that was not suppose to be as thrilling as other rides of the same type? They would do that intentionally? I highly doubt that, even if it was Paramount.

Actually, yes, he is right. As a Top Spin (minus its theming), Tomb Raider has a very boring and much more laid back program than other Top Spins. The ride relies heavily on it's theming to provide its thrill, this was even stated by then park spokesperson Jeffery Seibert.

"We came up with a one of a kind thrill ride experience that we know as Tomb Raider: The Ride, a ride that takes a great thrill ride and mixes in hollywood special effects and puts those two together kind of like a peanut butter cup, and makes this a one-of-a-kind themed adventure."

Unlike Tomb Raider: FireFall a.k.a. The crypt at Kings Dominion, The Crypt at Kings Island relies more on it's theming rather than a thrilling ride, this was the intent of the designers, so yes they did do that intentionally. Ironically as cool of an idea as it was, and an idea that worked ok and looked great its first few years, has the majority of it's problems caused by its special tame ride program.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Board at Kings Island?

It is what you make of it.

Have you ever went to Water Works with your friends?

Throw in Skee Ball, a couple of shows, french fries with vinegar, a couple of 3 point shots, people watching while sitting under the Eiffel Tower, a cold beer at the Festhaus, a quick walk through the shops on International Street, a ride up the Eiffel Tower..... There, that should take up an extra hour at the very least. Show them what else the park has to offer.

Ok, I missed the disclaimer about "minus the theming". Because as far as the ride as a total package, I originally, no matter how painful the ride was enjoyed the thrill.

So as far as a total package, theming plus ride, I can't fathom a park deliberately putting in a ride meant to be boring...that struck me as odd.

Of course, unlike this year, Kings Island had two new thrill rides (one a coaster) for 1999, before announcing Son of Beast in May that year. At this point, I seriously doubt ANY notable attraction will be added this season, but I've got a feeling that 2009 will be worth the gap. Cedar Point skips years of adding notable rides/attractions, but they and other Cedar Fair parks seem to do well with that model.

I didnt know they were changing around the program of tomb raider. The last time I went the ride was not very good and not to easy on the lower section if you know what I mean. Im assuming it will be better and I will give the ride another chance.

That, nor any official detail about if The Crypt will change programs/theming/etc. has not been announced.

Of course, I have been wrong before. And a perfect precedent that bucks what I described above is when they announced Son of Beast in the beginning of May in 1999.

I think that the park made a good decision by announcing SoB when they did.

It was 2000. Many businesses were gearing up for the new millenium. Meaning that there was all kinds of competion for KI when it came down to where people decided to spend their money for vacations that year. There also was a certain park to the North that was building a steel blue monster that was also going to break many records just like SoB did. Ironically enough, that same park also announced their new ride earlier than usual as well (July).

And let's not forget about another former park that was opening 4 new coasters in 2000 as well.

KI had to distance themselves from CP and do their best to be more "unique" with their new ride. They also had to let people know that to truely enjoy all the Ohio parks, your trip had to include Southern Ohio.

2000 was a very unique year for the amusement industry. It is also too bad that some very bad business decisions were made just because it was 2000.

Oh well someone on a previous page mentioned something about it. Just rumors I guess. Im not to concerned with that ride to tell you the truth. I wish they would take it out and put something else in. On a side note winter is really depressing and I wish it was just spring or summer so I can get on some rides. lol

I know this has been harped on time and time again, but Kings Island really needs some non wild adult rides, one of my favorite things about Cedar Point is taking a break from the wild rides and relaxing on things like the sky ride, or antique cars or the ferris wheel or paddle wheel excursion, or the train (ki train to me has never been the same since it became a transport to the waterpark), Lots of great thrill rides, but I would like to see more leisure rides

I know this has been harped on time and time again, but Kings Island really needs some non wild adult rides, one of my favorite things about Cedar Point is taking a break from the wild rides and relaxing on things like the sky ride, or antique cars or the ferris wheel or paddle wheel excursion, or the train (ki train to me has never been the same since it became a transport to the waterpark), Lots of great thrill rides, but I would like to see more leisure rides

Yea the train used to be a lot different as I remember. They actually had like a story to go along as you rode the train I think. Im pretty sure they had like indians and stuff running around haha. Maybe I am wrong... I was pretty young, now its just a ride to the water park. I am sure a lot of people would like it to be like the old way even though I personally dont care.

Yea the train used to be a lot different as I remember. They actually had like a story to go along as you rode the train I think. Im pretty sure they had like indians and stuff running around haha. Maybe I am wrong... I was pretty young, now its just a ride to the water park. I am sure a lot of people would like it to be like the old way even though I personally dont care.

Yeah this is why I think Americana (Ferris Wheel) from GL would have been a good addition.

I rode "the crypt" which was formerly known as tomb raider during the summer and I really dont see many similarities between that and phantom theatre. I really dont see what you are arguing? The whole format of the rides are completely different. One flips you upside down forward/backwards and the other took you around on a track.

Yes, Indiana Beach is VERY good. It is a very small park on a lake, packed with fun rides and a startling new attraction for this year. Here you will find some of the best dark attractions anywhere (including a very rare walk through). Ride placement is incredible. The park has fantastic food at low prices. The Sky Room, in particular, is not to be missed. Cornball, in particular, will teach you that a coaster doesn't have to break any records in order to be fun, fun, fun. And they have a set of flying scooters... :)

Most of all, the place has atmosphere. Loads of it!

Yes, Indiana Beach is VERY good. It is a very small park on a lake, packed with fun rides and a startling new attraction for this year. Here you will find some of the best dark attractions anywhere (including a very rare walk through). Ride placement is incredible. The park has fantastic food at low prices. The Sky Room, in particular, is not to be missed. Cornball, in particular, will teach you that a coaster doesn't have to break any records in order to be fun, fun, fun. And they have a set of flying scooters... :)

Most of all, the place has atmosphere. Loads of it!

Aside from all those things Interp, you forgot to mention to oh so awesome Dr. Frankenstein's Castle! What an awesome walk through attraction, full of lots of surprises along the way. He's right, do NOT miss the Sky Room, the food was outstanding and super cheap! I totally agree about Cornball too, it certainly packs a punch despite its small size.

- Todd