What type of new ride should Kings Island get?

Dalefan

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nitro's prototype probably had more brakes. . .

Actually, I think it was called Apollo's Chariot....

Terpy, running for the door, dodging geese....

So, using that logic could we say that Behemoth could possibly a prototype for a coaster at another CF park...? Hmmm... :P

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
That won't be happening as long as Mr. Kinzel has anything to do with Cedar Fair. He has often referred to Top Thrill Dragster as the biggest mistake he ever made in the amusement park industry.

Six Flags felt the same way but built it anyways lol. I heard it also called the worlds biggest paper weight lol.

• 1 month later...

* It was very, very expensive.

* It had lots and lots of downtime its first several years.

* It did not affect admissions to the extent that Mr. Kinzel expected that it would.

* And though he has never said it publicly, I doubt Mr. Kinzel was amused when Six Flags and INTAMIN built a taller, faster version--just two seasons after TTD opened...thus quickly ending Cedar Point's claim to having the tallest, fastest roller coaster in the world.

But after pulling a coup like that on CF, i'd say the only way SF would agree to build Kingda Ka is through a very strict agreement with Intamin, correct? They had to get a nice discount since all of the design/engineering work was done. I figured exclusivity contracts, especially for one of a kind or world record breaking rides, were the industry standard. Wow, what a bonehead move.

I'd love to see a stand-up coaster. Or maybe a lie-down coaster...I've build these in Roller Coaster Tycoon but I doubt there could be a safe one built outside of a video game. But then again, my knowledge of roller coasters isn't exactly what you'd call "Extensive" so who knows

There are many of both...including the latter at Kings Island...ridden Firehawk?

Heard of Chang?

http://www.rcdb.com/ig275.htm

http://www.rcdb.com/id275.htm

Yeah, I know about Firehawk. But I was thinking more along the lines of 1-man cars that run along a single tubular track and swing back and forth as you go around turns and whatnot.

History: A sign near the Flying Coaster states:

The "Flying Coaster" is

moving to a new home and

will be closed for the 2008

season.

Elitch Gardens is making room

for another new and

exciting family attraction.

It isn't known at this time if this new home will be at Elitch Gardens or perhaps another amusement park owned by the PARC 7F Operations Corporation.

Hmmm, think they're on to something? It has only lasted five years at that park. Not sure why they would think that the coaster is just being moved to another spot at Elitch Gardens. That wouldn't make much sense.

Of all the things I have ever ridden, that is the only thing that I promised the good Lord above I'd never sit foot on again (or in this case, stomach on again) should I be lucky enough to get off in one piece. Horrid doesn't come close to describing the ride experience.

That good, huh?

I totally and completely agree with you, angrybeaver...but it seems, from my travels, that we are in a small minority. Most seem to hear the name B & M and are already pre-sold that the Superman: Ultimate Flights are far better than any of the Flying Dutchmen. Now, on the other hand, Tatsu is the best of all of the flying coasters that I've ridden, and the contest isn't even close! On that thing, you are having so much fun, you don't even notice how comfortable or uncomfortable the trains are...(which would never happen on the Zamperla model, the trains and transitions are so bad...)

Of course I would like to have more coasters, especially one like Millenium Force. However, I really think KI ould use some more flat rides, especially some fair type rides. Compared to a coaster they are dirt cheap and it is nice to have some fun rides with short wait times.

Dirt cheap eh? Well, Delirium and The Crypt were both multi-million dollar ride installs. Even less technologically advanced rides are not exactly cheap. Yes, cheaper then say a B&M coaster, but not really something that your average middle class family could say, "lets build a flat ride in our backyard instead of a swimming pool since they are dirt cheap."

And depending on the area, the price for "dirt" can be quite expensive. Especially if land values are rather high. In NY, for instance, space is at such a premium, that it is measured by the square inch, and not the square foot!

And personally, some flat rides can be just as fun (if not more so) then some of today`s modern coasters! Need I mention the Flying Eagles, a ride which is more then seventy years old (and sadly missed from Kings Island), that continues to delight families down at Carowinds.

Not to mention there are more costs than first costs. Maintenance costs for many flat rides can far exceed those of many coasters. Especially once they get some age on them, parts are difficult to impossible to find, and must be made...or ordered from Germany, etc. Finally, for the capacity involved, labor costs for flat rides can far exceed those for coasters on a per guest entertained basis.