Son of Beast Trains

The Beast Rider

I was looking at KI's website to see if anything new was added, and came upon this interesting item about SOB. This is a copy of the description from www.visitkingsisland.com about Son of Beast. I think someone got a little carried away about the trains.

Track Length 7,032 feet (1.3 miles)

(The second longest wooden

roller coaster in the world.

The Beast® is the longest.)

Ride Time 3 minutes

Trains Three trains, with six cars each, holding a total of 36 riders per train.

Hourly Capacity 1, 000 guests

Height Requirement 48” Minimum

I guess Sonny has PTC trains now, too! ;)

• 4 weeks later...
I might be wrong but during the KICentral Event didn't the SOB run 3 trains? :huh:

No. It did not. On August 4, 2007, it ran two trains, once it opened, which was later in the day, as seems not to be unusual for that massive coaster. The track is walked each morning (as is The Racer and The Beast), and that takes a very long time. By the way, when maintenance walks a wooden coaster, they do it backwards....much easier, but still a very difficult, tedious, and sometimes even dangerous pursuit...all in the interests of your safety.

If they were (on Son of Beast), they will need the same modifications that the ones from the Hurricane did...Son of Beast track is not the same gage....and no, this has been discussed before. It is highly unlikely they will put three trains on Son of Beast...even if they are used, they would probably be back-up spares...and/or they could lengthen the trains...originally, the ride was supposed to have longer trains, as can be seen from viewing the station configuration.

The track is walked each morning (as is The Racer and The Beast), and that takes a very long time. By the way, when maintenance walks a wooden coaster, they do it backwards....much easier, but still a very difficult, tedious, and sometimes even dangerous pursuit...all in the interests of your safety.

Actually, on SOB I believe there are 3 separate track walkers. I dont know exactly what part each person is responsible for, but I do know that the station is the meet up point for two of them.

Am I the only one to throw out the fact that The Geauga Lake trains may be put into use (I won't say how)?

In addition to what Interp mentioned: does SoB really need 3 trains?

The wait is normally not that long. Sure, there will be somedays that it could be a wait of more than an hour. But for the most part, it is a rather quick line.

I'm just not sure if CF will justify the cost of adding a train that is normally not needed.