Hanna Barbera

stremmefan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All you need to know is I do not own an amusement park.

-I'll let that speak for itself.

A poll on this internet site is people that Do go to KI. Its not just any internet site. Alot of these people have been going to KI for a very long time. People like you and the interpeter sound like people that are in with Cedar Fair or Paramount, and don't care what the people want either.

-As has been stated, the parks are catering to what PEOPLE WANT.....and that is Nickelodeon.

I have always agreed that changes are always gonna take place. You don't have to kill off H-B. KI is a place for children and ADULTS of ALL AGES. Keep that in mind.

-I have, and it is still a place for kids and adults......a place without HB.

And Yes, KI will always do great no matter what.

-Not necessarily, major parks come and go look at Americana, Astroworld, and Geauga Lake! Right now, KI is a very successful park, will it be in the future? You, nor i, nor interpreter have any crystal ball to show that.

Not because of the changes that are made by Cedar Fair or Paramount, but because of what KI is and always has been. Alot of people believe it should be Nick and H-B, whats wrong with combining the two? :unsure:

-Yes a lot do believe that, but a lot more come for the all Nickelodeon themed kids area.

Their marketing research is their way of thinking!

-You said you own a business, you should know what marketing research is, its their way of knowing what the public wants, not just how they think.

...Alot of people believe it should be Nick and H-B, whats wrong with combining the two? :unsure:

Scooby and The Haunted Castle had to offically move from HB Land to International Street when Nick Universe debuted. Viacom, the owner of Nick, will NOT allow its characters to be diluted by mixing them with others. It is NOT allowed. Period.

All you need to know is I do not own an amusement park.

-I'll let that speak for itself.

A poll on this internet site is people that Do go to KI. Its not just any internet site. Alot of these people have been going to KI for a very long time. People like you and the interpeter sound like people that are in with Cedar Fair or Paramount, and don't care what the people want either.

-As has been stated, the parks are catering to what PEOPLE WANT.....and that is Nickelodeon.

I have always agreed that changes are always gonna take place. You don't have to kill off H-B. KI is a place for children and ADULTS of ALL AGES. Keep that in mind.

-I have, and it is still a place for kids and adults......a place without HB.

And Yes, KI will always do great no matter what.

-Not necessarily, major parks come and go look at Americana, Astroworld, and Geauga Lake! Right now, KI is a very successful park, will it be in the future? You, nor i, nor interpreter have any crystal ball to show that.

Not because of the changes that are made by Cedar Fair or Paramount, but because of what KI is and always has been. Alot of people believe it should be Nick and H-B, whats wrong with combining the two? :unsure:

-Yes a lot do believe that, but a lot more come for the all Nickelodeon themed kids area.

Their marketing research is their way of thinking!

-You said you own a business, you should know what marketing research is, its their way of knowing what the public wants, not just how they think.

The park is far from catering to what people want. Ki is very successful because of how it was before Cedar Fair. If it falls apart its because of Cedar Fair. What happened to Geauga Lake? I could be wrong, but wasn't that Cedar Fair? Whats gonna happen in a couple years when Nick isn't so popular. KI could at least keep the popular H-B characters with the Nick so when that happens, which it will , they have both. :P

Pardon me, but where do you get the authority to speak for what people want? What research have you done? None. Btw, how were you able to see into the future and what research do you have to prove that Nick won't be popular in the years to come and HB will? Your senseless arguments speak for your ignorance and you keep digging yourself into a deeper hole.

The park is far from catering to what people want. Ki is very successful because of how it was before Cedar Fair. If it falls apart its because of Cedar Fair. What happened to Geauga Lake? I could be wrong, but wasn't that Cedar Fair? Whats gonna happen in a couple years when Nick isn't so popular. KI could at least keep the popular H-B characters with the Nick so when that happens, which it will , they have both. :P

JacksonPKI, I'm sorry I was mean to you, because this guy is by far much worse. Everyone please follow the instructions in my signature but replace "JacksonPKI" with "stremmefan".

Pardon me, but where do you get the authority to speak for what people want? What research have you done? None. Btw, how were you able to see into the future and what research do you have to prove that Nick won't be popular in the years to come and HB will? Your senseless arguments speak for your ignorance and you keep digging yourself into a deeper hole.

I read this forum as you do, except I pay attention to what these people say, and you just put the people down for what they want or believe in. As far as seeing into the future, I'm psychic. LOL :P

...Alot of people believe it should be Nick and H-B, whats wrong with combining the two? :unsure:

Scooby and The Haunted Castle had to offically move from HB Land to International Street when Nick Universe debuted. Viacom, the owner of Nick, will NOT allow its characters to be diluted by mixing them with others. It is NOT allowed. Period.

Ok, how about this as an option? Keep Nick universe all Nick, and since Scooby is moved to international street, can't the H-B characters be part of international street also? Even if its only a few of them, such as the most popular ones?

That would be an option, if Cedar Fair is willing to pay for the licensing...which, so far, they have not been. That also assumes that Time Warner is willing to license the characters to Cedar Fair, which they may not be.

Has the licensing ran out completely with H-B? I read that it didn't expire until 2009 unless their info is wrong? If so they could try it out with the patrons and then decide whether or not to pay for the licensing. Then they themselves would be able to tell what works with the patrons. Both? Or just Nick??? Then of course as you said Time Warner has to be willing too. I'm not the only one that would love to see H-B back. There are alot of people on this forum that would love to see it happen too. :)

That would be an option, if Cedar Fair is willing to pay for the licensing...which, so far, they have not been. That also assumes that Time Warner is willing to license the characters to Cedar Fair, which they may not be.

Has the licensing ran out completely with H-B? I read that it didn't expire until 2009 unless their info is wrong? If so they could try it out with the patrons and then decide whether or not to pay for the licensing. Then they themselves would be able to tell what works with the patrons. Both? Or just Nick??? Then of course as you said Time Warner has to be willing too. I'm not the only one that would love to see H-B back. There are alot of people on this forum that would love to see it happen too. :)

They already did try out having both licensing side by side from 1993 - 2005 and in 2006 instead of renewing HB licensing, they opted to go all out Nick. If bringing back HB was going to be such a great business decision Cedar Fair has the option to pursue it, so do other major chains like Six Flags, Busch, and P.A.R.C. however so far as been stated......none of them have.

If it falls apart because of CF? Are you kidding? CF inherited NU from Paramount. Given your comments, it should have already been falling apart way before CF ever took over (which is exactly what happened with GL). And comparing KI to GL is rather insulting to KI, those are two completely seperate issues. And in the future, if and when those NU characters are not as popular anymore, the same rides that are there will be re-themed again.

And no, you could not have both NU and HB. That would be like have a favorite Coke product taste test sponsored by Pepsi.

Zoey 101 Rules For Ratings

I tell ya, they need a Pregnant Zoey walking around NU or in a show!

It's such a win-win situation!

Hmmmm...

I can't remember any teenage HB Characters getting knocked up?

There are two ways of looking at it. One is that it is inappropriate for kids that age to see that sort of thing. And it is hard to disagree with that.

The other is instead of fighting today's reality; meaning don't stick your head in the sand and ignore that sex is part of a much younger generation in today's World; learn from mistakes. Show that it is not easy to have a child at such a young age. Also show that having an abortion at that age is not the only choice you have.

While being a father of two young girls, I have also questioned the decisions that the execs of Nick have made, I applaud them for the message that they are sending- People make choices everyday concerning their lifestyle, ignoring it only increases ignorance of the situation. And if I don't want my kids watching that sort of thing, using "parental control" is always an option.

But I really don't think comparing Zoey to the HB or Nick characters is really necessary. What are the chances that KI would theme a ride to Zoey?

Certainly the Hanna-Barbera cartoons were more child friendly than Nickelodeon. Of course Hanna-Barbera was a product of its time like me. I grew up with H-B and prefer it to Nickelodeon. My son went through a Nickelodeon phase, but now he prefers to watch Boomerang (old H-B toons) with or without me.

However, most of today's kids prefer Nickelodeon and that's why NU is at KI and H-B Land sadly no longer exists.

Best regards,

Italian Chef

Certainly the Hanna-Barbera cartoons were more child friendly than Nickelodeon.

I don't really see how the caveman and his wife were more child friendly than the sponge under the sea. They're both innocent children's cartoons. In regards to the Zoey 101 thing, welcome to the world, things like that happen. Just like Brown I am the father of two daughters (although I think I am much older than him and my girls are all grown up ;) ), and I agree with him, I think Nick has done a pretty good job of handling the Jamie-Lynn Spears pregnancy issue by having Linda Elerbee do a Nick News special. In a day and age where whats on the news is usually just a quick blurb in the CNN, Fox, msnbc, etc. news recap, nickelodeon does offer a very tastefully done and professional news show for kids. I don't ever remember Fred Flintstone, George Jetson, or Hong Kong Fui ever teaching me about cancer, mental disability, or divorce.

More child-friendly? Oh, please.

Chef, you must not have seen or have forgotten about The Hillbilly Bears...the Paw bear cursed under his voice in very realistic ways, the cultural bias towards Hillbillies was very, very offensive to most, and my parents (who were NOT alone) would not let me watch it due to what they thought were ample references to inappropriate activity among the bears. Needless to say, I did find ways to watch it whenever I could wherever I could! (For many, nothing is as enticing as the forbidden, especially to a curious kid)

There is a reason they are almost NEVER seen in reruns...and then only heavily edited.

http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon_synopsis/9366-...ers_Aweigh.html

http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon_synopsis/9362-Woodpecked.html

This topic should be shown to a speech professor. In my humble opinion it would could make for an interesting debate project. WOW...it's deep.

The facts are that each individual is going to have their own opinion. Some would prefer to continue to see what they remember growing up with. These memories are what they can relate with. They exist within the person's comfort zone. I am trying not to go too technical, however people could argue between Hanna-Barbera and Nickelodeon and it just wouldn't stop any sooner than an arguement over Hillary or Obama.

There are so many different options out there, and another seemingly endless list of directions to take all of them.

True, they could have Nick, They could have H.B., they could have Both. Please keep in mind that they could also have neither. Peanuts are an option. They could attempt to bring in all new characters. They could develop their own characters. Shoot, they could decide not to have any at all.

As stated before, it is Cedar Fair's park. They can do whatever they want with it. Cartoon go through trends seemingly close to clothing fashions. They will be popular for a few years. And and time passes, they are eventually in a sense recycled. Looney Tunes in the 60's, and 90's. Hanna-Barbera in the 60's thru the 80's. Nickelodeon in the 90's and past the millenium. Disney, seemingly forever. Even Cartoon Network's original programming was popular for a while.

Who know's what the next trend in Animation is going to be.

For now it looks like the Disney merger...PIXAR The modern leader of up to date animation is the endgame to current competition.

I don't mean to keep dragging this but my point is that Animation trends come and go, and in my opinion it is probably a good chance that someday ( maybe years from now, maybe not ) the childrens area at Kings Island will be changed again to once again fit the times. Again, just my opinion.

To go into the statement that Nickelodeon is not as appropriate for Children than H.B. This is not accurate. Animation has always made attempts to reflect life is some manner. And when doing that, it is obvious that what is found to be acceptible for children changes from decade to decade. This happens because children grow up faster. They are in a very different world than 30 to 50 years ago. Keep in mind that Disney's Pinnocchio is a masterpiece today. And very mild and fit for children in a lot of peoples eyes. It's true, it really is. And it alway's has been. But the writing style ( today ) would be considered more mature than most of today's cartoons. But also keep in mind that when Pinnocchio came out, it was intended at that time to have the same slapstick comedy at Ratatouille has today. They are equally brilliant in different times.

Animation is my ultimate dream, and it's history and future are my life. ( that and I love animals.. the 2 seem to go together quite nicely. ) I will not get to spend any time at the park this summer due to an Internship at Pixar. But maybe I will get to in the fall. I hope so. I can't wait to see all of the changes at the park.

I will not get to spend any time at the park this summer due to an Internship at Pixar. But maybe I will get to in the fall. I hope so. I can't wait to see all of the changes at the park.

Congratulations! What a great opportunity for someone with an interest in animation...good for you! :)

You should do a blog about your experiences at Pixar (like the guys did who did the internship at Great Coasters). I'm sure we'd all enjoy hearing your stories.

This topic should be shown to a speech professor. In my humble opinion it would could make for an interesting debate project. WOW...it's deep.

The facts are that each individual is going to have their own opinion. Some would prefer to continue to see what they remember growing up with. These memories are what they can relate with. They exist within the person's comfort zone. I am trying not to go too technical, however people could argue between Hanna-Barbera and Nickelodeon and it just wouldn't stop any sooner than an arguement over Hillary or Obama.

Very true, the debate may be endless, but then again the point of these message boards is for discussion, debate, and communication.

There are so many different options out there, and another seemingly endless list of directions to take all of them.

True, they could have Nick, They could have H.B., they could have Both.

Wrong, if you read the entire topic it was stated numerous times that Nickelodeon licensing can not be inter-mingled with Hannah Barbera (or any other "rival" licensing) due to contractual obligations. This is why Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle (which has separate HB licensing through Sally Dark Rides) is part of International St. and not Nickelodeon Universe.

Please keep in mind that they could also have neither. Peanuts are an option.

Presently, Peanuts is NOT an option as current Peanuts licensing deals extend only to the legacy Cedar Fair parks and not the recently acquired former Paramount Parks.

They could attempt to bring in all new characters.

You may see a re-vamped kids area in the future with the new theming, however with how popular Nick currently is, I doubt that happens later rather than sooner. Just as Nick replaced HB, changes come and go. One day we may see Nick leave in favor of something else and the children of today can go on message boards and debate about how much better Nick was "back in the 2008".

They could develop their own characters. Shoot, they could decide not to have any at all.As stated before, it is Cedar Fair's park. They can do whatever they want with it.

Wrong, they can't just do "whatever they want with it". As stated by Interpreter earlier...

Cedar Fair is in business to generate a return for its unitholders. They will do exactly what they think will best accomplish that. They must, or they will be subject to unitholder litigation for not so doing.

It's a business, not a hobby

By the way, congratulations on your PIXAR internship! That is absolutely awesome!. Best of luck to you.

Very well said king_cobra_27 I myself am a HUGE Animation buff (I love Certain HB cartoons,Looney Tunes,Nicktoons,Disney,Certain anime cartoons)as well as a big comic book nerd hey I'll admit it! Congrats!

I never seen Ratatouille I'm not big on Pixar. I like the traditional hand drawn animation more than the CGI stuff but thats just me.