Oil Today Closed at $101.01

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember reading an article about Silver Dollar City and how they dealt with the gas problems of the 70s. They actually paid for park goers gas, if I remember correctly. If oil stays at these levels when we have to change over to the higher grade for summer, prices are going to go through the roof.

First ever close above $100. This is apt to have a major effect on gasoline prices, and also is likely to impact the regional theme parks in a bigtime way. . .

I wonder if this will have any effect on rides that require Gasoline to run? I don't think KI has any now, but CP has at least 4 that I can think of, the Turnpike Cars, Cadillac Cars, Antique Cars, & Paddlewheel Excursions. Do you think the Price of Gas would be enough to make them get rid of these rides? Plus I can see CP getting rid of 2 car rides since they are all pretty much the same thing.

Guest kwindshawne

Disgusting. I am not one to spread rumours, but I heard a speculation that gas would hit $4/gal this summer. Now at first, I thought they were full of bull, but since we are already at $3.15, makes ya wonder.

When my accord goes to car heaven, I plan to get a hybrid...an insight -even though they are no longer made, there are a few used ones out there-71mpg is nothing to sneeze at. I drive approx. 3,000 miles in 6 weeks, so this is going to hit me particularly hard.

And another thing...I suspect there not to be any or very little discretionary income from guests this year. Even though it may not be profitable, Cedar Fair ought to figure a way to lower food prices and improve the quality-there has to be some sort of draw-surely there can be a way.

its absolute B$!

In these days I get so sick of seeing reports on Bloomberg that Exxon/Mobile had record years. No kidding?!?!?!

I would like to blame this crap on the countries across the pond... but the fact of the matter is these are because oil is traded on the NY exchange and not based on actualy supply/demand. Chavez makes a hallow threat (which he confirmed today that he wasn't serious) and investment individuals in NY scream "OMG- it's a supply shortage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- RAISE THE PRICE!"

Or I love this excuse- "supply fears." when was the last time we saw a line at the gas pumps since 1981?

With all the corporate scandals of 2002-2003 wouldn't you think that someone would be on the hook for "price fixing?"

Although I like how in the Primaries the Democrats are quick to blame Republicans (Bush in particular)/Big Business for the prices.... It's a Democratically-controlled Congress.... funny how they're not doing anything either. No wonder they collectively have a 25% approval rating. It's interesting that you never hear that... you only hear of Pres. Bush's 35% approval rating... not the Congressional 25%.

^I am only going to remind everybody once...

Due to the board's history of political turbulence, general political talk is NOT welcome on the boards unless it is unbiased and DIRECTLY related to the matter at hand (i.e. Local Senators meet at KI). Threads or posts that the staff deems to be at risk of causing disrespect or result of people feeling threatened will be removed by the staff. If an individual user is persistent, action will be taken against them by the staff.

From: http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4128

This issue does have some relevance to how it will affect the amusement industry and so forth, keep the politics off these boards, their are other websites all over especially during these days to talk about politics.

Guest kwindshawne
This may well be the most important external factor affecting admissions this summer. Let's NOT discuss why oil prices are what they are, but do discuss how they could affect the industry. :)

True. I know several people not getting season passes because of no discretionary income, as well as some coworkers who are not returning for one of the same reasons. I will do it as long as I can, but if it gets too high, I may have to leave as well.

I wouldn't mind public transit. I rode cal train in san francisco bay area-worked well actually. I plan to move south eventually, but it won't happen for at least a year.

its absolute B$!

In these days I get so sick of seeing reports on Bloomberg that Exxon/Mobile had record years. No kidding?!?!?!

I would like to blame this crap on the countries across the pond... but the fact of the matter is these are because oil is traded on the NY exchange and not based on actualy supply/demand. Chavez makes a hallow threat (which he confirmed today that he wasn't serious) and investment individuals in NY scream "OMG- it's a supply shortage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- RAISE THE PRICE!"

Or I love this excuse- "supply fears." when was the last time we saw a line at the gas pumps since 1981?

With all the corporate scandals of 2002-2003 wouldn't you think that someone would be on the hook for "price fixing?"

Although I like how in the Primaries the Democrats are quick to blame Republicans (Bush in particular)/Big Business for the prices.... It's a Democratically-controlled Congress.... funny how they're not doing anything either. No wonder they collectively have a 25% approval rating. It's interesting that you never hear that... you only hear of Pres. Bush's 35% approval rating... not the Congressional 25%.

I always hear about how much Exxon/Mobile's profits are or how much they spend to locate new oil.

I never quite get to hear how much they actually pay in taxes.

Do we really want to attempt to put a company that is responsible for paying so much in taxes?

its absolute B$!

I always hear about how much Exxon/Mobile's profits are or how much they spend to locate new oil.

I never quite get to hear how much they actually pay in taxes.

Do we really want to attempt to put a company that is responsible for paying so much in taxes?

Since you saw Elmers post I'm assuming you saw mine directly under it.....plenty of other places to discuss taxes and politics on the internet. ;)

I knew it would happen! I feel so smart because I filled up my car $2.96 two days ago.

Anyways, I hope this doesn't put a damper on my summmer plans such as KI, beach trip, workcamp.

I also wonder how much longer it will be until the county school board says "Sorry band, but we can only afford to send the football team to and cheerleaders to tonights game...etc"

I also wonder how much longer it will be until the county school board says "Sorry band, but we can only afford to send the football team to and cheerleaders to tonights game...etc"

I work for a county school. We're already there. However, its not put into those words. Its called "pay to play".

I work for a county school. We're already there. However, its not put into those words. Its called "pay to play".

Really? How's this work then?

Does this mean that it will cost more to power lift mechanisms or launch systmes on certain roller coasters?

It will cost more for any type of oil.

Oil for motors, engines, CNC equipment, burning etc.

And while it would be nice if CF would drop food prices to compensate for the high gas prices, it likely will not happen. Only because the companies that provide food to the park will increase their prices because they need to compensate for the high gas prices to operate thier trucks that deliver food to the park.

Seems fair.

But I think that it should be across the board.

Now if the money to do the transportation is raised by concessions, that's fine. But otherwise, ya want to play ya really should pay.

Do you mean the students pay?

I'm not directly involved with sports, but if I remember right, I think its $100 per sport. A large chunk of that would have to go to transportation costs.

I believe the going rate right now is $.50 cents per mile per bus for fuel/wear and tear on the bus, etc.

...which is a bargain, given that is just about the officially approved IRS rate for maximum reimbursement of employees for a personal car used for business use....if businesses exceed that reimbursement, employees may be responsible for accounting their expenses and declaring any excess to be income....and certainly a school bus costs far, far more to operate than does a car (then again, the bus is far more efficient in transporting larger groups of individuals than are individual cars, vans, etc.)

Something is going to have to be done about these outrageous gas prices. This is going to get out of control. How soon before people won't be able to even afford to go to work? I don't think anyone is in the business of working just so they have enough money to get to work and back.