Oil Today Closed at $101.01

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a 2001 Toyota Corolla....i get about 38 MPG on the highway, 30-32 city....great mileage...i can't imagine how much i'd be spending if i had a gas guzzler...i spend about $100-$130/month on gas....

My wife has a 2007 Toyota Corolla, she drives over 100 miles a day and spends about $200/month on gas.

LOL I spend about that much in a week. I bet your car couldn't go off road or beat me in a race. Its got some horses.

No, it probably couldn't, but then again why would I need it to? Friday I'm driving from athens to Cleveland then back down to Cincinnati and will probably only have to refill once, if at all. I'll take the gas mileage over off roading capabilities or illegal street racing.

Guest kwindshawne

My mileage sucks-need an egr valve. Before i got about 30-now I get 24. Even with the new part, I am almost to the point of figuring out how to get to work. I considered a motorcycle for my day job, but doubt I would get there without being a victim of crime. But if it hits $4 a gal, I won't be at KI through the season.

I drive a '97 Dodge Caravan, and get 20mpg gallon on a good day. However, I basically just drive from my house to my school, which less than 5 miles, and back, barring the ocasional trip to Husson's Pizza, or to Quaker Steak and Lube for Wing Night with my friends.

Regardless, I cry evertime I put gas in my car.

Guest kwindshawne
LOL I spend about that much in a week. I bet your car couldn't go off road or beat me in a race. Its got some horses.

No, it probably couldn't, but then again why would I need it to? Friday I'm driving from athens to Cleveland then back down to Cincinnati and will probably only have to refill once, if at all. I'll take the gas mileage over off roading capabilities or illegal street racing.

The days of the muscle car are long gone. My first car was a 78 dodge magnum-it was expensive to run even at 80 cents a gallon. I couldn't imagine that now, but I do miss it.

^Not only is that completely ignorant statement but I think you missed the moderators post on the first page of this forum, assuming you read it all....

^I am only going to remind everybody once...

Due to the board's history of political turbulence, general political talk is NOT welcome on the boards unless it is unbiased and DIRECTLY related to the matter at hand (i.e. Local Senators meet at KI). Threads or posts that the staff deems to be at risk of causing disrespect or result of people feeling threatened will be removed by the staff. If an individual user is persistent, action will be taken against them by the staff.

From: http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4128

This issue does have some relevance to how it will affect the amusement industry and so forth, keep the politics off these boards, their are other websites all over especially during these days to talk about politics.

The days of the muscle car are long gone. My first car was a 78 dodge magnum-it was expensive to run even at 80 cents a gallon. I couldn't imagine that now, but I do miss it.

I'm not sure how you define muscle, but today's cars have more horsepower and acceleration than anything ever built.

Guest kwindshawne

I'm not sure how you define muscle, but today's cars have more horsepower and acceleration than anything ever built.

That may be, but the old cars had less pollution control and were much easier to work on. To me it is something else to break and fix. I loved working on the old ones...so simple, and you didn't need a computer to read the codes. I was taught to use a voltmeter and count the clicks.

I thought this article was at least a little bit related to this topic.

10 closet gas guzzlers

My father's Jeep Commander, while not on the list shares the fuel milage of the two Jeeps on the list (Liberty and Wrangler), but boy is it sure fun to drive...oh well, a V8 will do that to you.

I was expecting to find both of my cars on the list. 2001 Grand Cherokee Ltd. (V8) and 2003 Audi A6 (3.0).

Neither are what you could say are easy on the environment or pocket book.

• 2 weeks later...

As oil hits high after high:

...What happens as gasoline prices in particular increase? The fear is that Americans, forced to pay more money for gasoline and overwhelmed by other economic issues, will continue to hunker down.....

http://www.townhall.com/news/business/2008...p;comments=true

I've said it before and I will say it again. This is going to be a VERY, VERY tough year for the park industry. Money that might well have gone to park visits is going to go, in many, many cases, into gas tanks and to pay the increased costs of consumer goods due to the higher transportation costs...and this doesn't even take into account peoples' job fears--and in too many cases, job losses--due to what widely now appears to be a recession.

Guest kwindshawne

I saw where one area in california had gas at $5 per gallon-didn't see what city it was, but guessing silicon valley area. On that subject, as it stands, I drive approx. 3000 miles every 6 weeks-I drive an accord, and may have to make some hard choices in the coming months. If I can swing it, and can find one, I am going to see about a hybrid car. I am so fortunate I sold my house last year-I dont think I could give it away now.

Regardless of what the economists think, I believe we are already in a recession.

CF is going to be under a lot of stress with their debt load this year. At least KI should do well in fighting for those fewer disposable dollars, since IB, HW, CP and Col Zoo are not adding any major new attractions and KI is. :wacko:

Kings Island is no longer Cedar Point's competition. Cedar Fair is just as happy if you go there instead of Kings Island, so long as you drop the same amount of money in their coffers...

And, there's always next year...assuming the same management/ownership is still around to appreciate that...which may or may not be the case.

It's the same story over at Six Flags....

If there is an exception (or two), it will be Disney, and perhaps Universal.

People have a tendency to try to save the big luxuries, while giving up the small ones.

Plus, the Florida/California parks get a lot of international visitors, and the falling dollar makes them cheaper than they have been in many years. (Want a shock? Look at what Americans with dollars must now pay internationally for lodging, rental cars, petrol, etc., in Europe or almost anywhere else...including Canada...)

Do not forget that many, many of the park's visitors make a day trip to Kings Island, from locations two to five hours away. Most of them do not have season passes, and they spend quite a bit of money while in the park. It is, for many, their one and only trip to the park for the season. The cost of that visit has now gone up greatly.

I'm sorry, but I do see gasoline prices having a MAJOR impact on park visits. Ironically, the only group it won't affect much is the locals with season passes, who are the very visitors who spend the least while in the park, on the whole.

To go further, it is even going to affect park employment. Many who would have otherwise worked there--from a distance a bit from the park--will now seek other employment, as the transportation costs dent what you could make at the park.

Guest kwindshawne
Do not forget that many, many of the park's visitors make a day trip to Kings Island, from locations two to five hours away. Most of them do not have season passes, and they spend quite a bit of money while in the park. It is, for many, their one and only trip to the park for the season. The cost of that visit has now gone up greatly.

I'm sorry, but I do gasoline prices having a MAJOR impact on park visits. Ironically, the only group it won't affect much is the locals with season passes, who are the very visitors who spend the least while in the park, on the whole.

To go further, it is even going to affect park employment. Many who would have otherwise worked there--from a distance a bit from the park--will now seek other employment, as the transportation costs dent what you could make at the park.

That is very true. I am going to struggle as it is. Last year I heard many complaints of pricing, and I think it will have a major impact on everything. I am in a wait and see mode-if gas becomes too expensive, I will have to give it up. KI needs housing for their employees badly-I would do it myself if it were an option-any excuse to leave dayton ;)