Oil Today Closed at $101.01

And yet, Mr. Kinzel (and Messrs Shapiro and Snyder) seems to think that high gas prices will benefit his industry, as people will visit their local parks instead of going to Florida/California. I really think Mr. Kinzel and his cohorts at that place that numbers its flags are whistling in the dark. When incomes are strained due to the high percentage of them being spent on energy, leisure activities may well be one of the first things to go. When it's buy food, gas, drugs and utilities OR go to the park, I doubt the park is going to win.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And to think at the beginning of the year, prices for the cheap stuff of gas were under $3! I can understand CF claiming to pass their higher food prices onto the guests. But when families are already strapped for cash between higher food and fuel prices at home, they are not going to spend what discretionary income they have left on food items that are marked up a good 20-30% over normal retail prices outside of the park. Especially for food that sometimes is less then perfect for the price!

Guest kwindshawne

At this very moment, I am figuring out how I am going to make it. You know what? Not so sure it's possible. If an optimist like me can't figure it out, who will? KI is my local park and it is 30 odd miles? Sorry, a time may come very soon that I have to find something closer to home, if thats possible. Dayton is a ghost town.

This thread started less than three months ago, when I said:

First ever close above $100. This is apt to have a major effect on gasoline prices, and also is likely to impact the regional theme parks in a bigtime way. . .

And just since then, oil has gone up nearly twenty five percent....I see NO way this is not going to drastically and negatively affect the park business...and I can't see how Mr. Kinzel can not only not believe this, but continue to assert it is going to somehow help seasonal parks....it will be interesting to hear Mr. Shapiro's take on this tomorrow.

I say that the government needs to put a 10 cents cap on how much the gas stations, and their american suppliers can mark-up their prices. Forget suspending the gas tax, the gas stations and suppliers will just increase their profits because they think we can't tell the difference.

That won't work...if that were to happen, oil companies will just choose to sell their product in China, Asia, Canada, Mexico, South America and Europe, and oil/gasoline won't be available at any price in the USA. Some of us lived through gas shortages caused by similar limitations during the seventies. No, thanks.

Does Kinzel have any other choice than to be optimistic? Of course Kinzel and co. are going to spin it any way possible that the prices they're charging is justified. Is anybody here going to go to work tomorrow and tell your boss that you really aren't worth what you're being paid? Especially if you're in debt up to your eyeballs?

We usually go to Kings Island maybe 5 times a year. Last year, we did this and our first trip to Cedar Point. This year, we are going to KI once for Halloween Haunt. Sorry Mr. Kinzel, but I am probably going to be kicked out of my apartment by the end of the month so going to KI instead of Disney World isn't the main thing on my mind. I don't know how others feel, and I don't know a whole lot about economics, but I am really feeling seriously concerned about the future financial security of America. All I keep hearing about the dropping value of the dollar, gas prices, recessions. Should I be this worried?

Guest kwindshawne
We usually go to Kings Island maybe 5 times a year. Last year, we did this and our first trip to Cedar Point. This year, we are going to KI once for Halloween Haunt. Sorry Mr. Kinzel, but I am probably going to be kicked out of my apartment by the end of the month so going to KI instead of Disney World isn't the main thing on my mind. I don't know how others feel, and I don't know a whole lot about economics, but I am really feeling seriously concerned about the future financial security of America. All I keep hearing about the dropping value of the dollar, gas prices, recessions. Should I be this worried?

I know I am. I am pretty close to just throwing in the towel and walking away. I worry to the point I can't sleep without medication.

Guest kwindshawne

On my way to book a flight, the first gas station I passed had gas for $3.95. After I picked my jaw off the floor, I decided to wait until I returned home to get gas. After driving a bit, I managed to find a station that still had it for $3.79. I thought I would never see the day it would cost almost 50 bucks to fill up my accord, which if I'm lucky, will last me about 7 days. The lines were back to the road and I had to wait 15 minutes and change lanes on top of it-and then this idiot was standing there outside his truck smoking!! Good thing I wasn't at work today, or buying gas tonight would have bankrupted me.

Geesh!!!

And meanwhile, just moments ago, crude hit yet another all time high, which means gasoline prices are still headed up....Mr. Kinzel keeps saying high gasoline prices will benefit Cedar Fair, as people will visit their local parks as opposed to that one special trip to a destination park. I fear we are about to find out if his words are merely spin or truly prescient.

Guest kwindshawne
And meanwhile, just moments ago, crude hit yet another all time high, which means gasoline prices are still headed up....Mr. Kinzel keeps saying high gasoline prices will benefit Cedar Fair, as people will visit their local parks as opposed to that one special trip to a destination park. I fear we are about to find out if his words are merely spin or truly prescient.

I don't understand his economics-even driving to work is a challenge for me.

I don't understand his economics-even driving to work is a challenge for me.

That's why they've only increased food proces by 5 cents or so.

Guest kwindshawne

It was kinda nerve racking to me, to see the lines again like we had in the 70's, however, I am nervous about what happens as the price creeps up. I am concerned about safety when pumping gas-thefts are already on the rise and as things worsen, I believe the risk of crime will be higher as well. Even back in 2000 when I lived in California, while standing in line to prepay for my gas, a lady busted in and said her car had been stolen-the thief crashed it across the street, which was a school. Luckily no injuries.

Guest kwindshawne

One thing I am glad for my honda, is that is a standard option. I have a friend who had her tank emptied 2 years ago-she drives an explorer and had just filled up.

I know from being locked out of my car three times, that it is pretty hard to break into-every mistake costs me 100 bucks-and this is with the alarm removed!! :wacko: The last time was at waffle house on fields ertel and the car just shut itself down.

Guest kwindshawne

I filled up yesterday anticipating $4 gallon by evening. Even though it hasn't happened as of right now, who knows? Sometime this week, it's probably gonna happen. My little honda cost $46 to fill up-unbelievable. Just 3 years ago I could fill it for approx. $16.

I filled up yesterday anticipating $4 gallon by evening. Even though it hasn't happened as of right now, who knows? Sometime this week, it's probably gonna happen. My little honda cost $46 to fill up-unbelievable. Just 3 years ago I could fill it for approx. $16.

I would think mid-day Thursday would be when we can see the spike for Memorial Day. I was a little confused becasue the BP down the street from my work is selling gas for 3.69 a gallon and everywhere else is still in the 3.80's

Well, today oil went up even more, and is approximately double the price of a year ago. Gasoline locally hit $3.999, with some stations posting $4.009. I really suspect Messrs. Kinzel's and Shapiro's theory of high gasoline prices helping regional parks is really going to be tested this summer.