Oil Today Closed at $101.01

I still disagree to a point. Sure the attendance might drop some but just because prices of gas go up people still live life and do things. Just because it would cost maybe another 10 bucks to fill my gas tank does not mean I will let it stiffel my fun or kids fun planned for the summer. I am thankful I live close to the park and do have a pass. However I think if people let a few bucks ruin their vacations is horrible.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fear you just don't get it. People without jobs, people who have to decide whether to buy food, pay the rent or get the prescriptions filled...often the same people who were making BIG money last year...don't decide to go on vacations....and there are a lot more of these people than those who are fortunate often think.

People who still have jobs but are worried start making cuts when they are putting nearly twice as much into their vehicles for gasoline as just a couple of years before. And they start cutting back, too.

A vacation is a luxury...one of the first things to go when things get rough. And a season pass to the local park may become a single visit or none at all when people live close by.

Guest kwindshawne
I still disagree to a point. Sure the attendance might drop some but just because prices of gas go up people still live life and do things. Just because it would cost maybe another 10 bucks to fill my gas tank does not mean I will let it stiffel my fun or kids fun planned for the summer. I am thankful I live close to the park and do have a pass. However I think if people let a few bucks ruin their vacations is horrible.

I think you are in the minority-most folks I know dont have the few extra bucks-I know I dont-and the fact that prices are increasing across the board while wages stay the same is the true issue. I make less now at my full time job than I did when I started 6 years ago. My raises have not kept up with the increased cost of health insurance and higher prices-plus all overtime was cut. I am not alone because I know of nurses who are looking at second jobs because of the same issues-and management drills into us that we need to make more money hourly. Be thankful you are not feeling the pain.....yet

It's going to cost you more than another $10 to fill your gas tank not only for a vacation, but for everyday travel. And if the projections of $4.00/ gal holds true by late spring, that will easily be $10 more/ week.

I mentioned that people not purchasing a season pass for 2008 due to no new ride was pathetic, but, not puchasing a season pass because it is just too expensive to go due to high gas prices makes much more sense.

And in addition, food prices will again go up due to the high fuel prices.

Also if you live close to the park and do have a season pass and would not utilize it cause of the gas prices is crazy. If you plan you dont need to spend money in the park. Take a cooler with you and leave it in the car. As I have said I am lucky enough to live very close to the park so my attending wont really affect my gas usage.

Unfortunately for the park (and for all regional seasonal parks), most customers DO drive to get there, most for considerable distances. And if more and more people start packing their meals/snacks (or leaving the parks to eat), and the parks' responses are to raise prices in order to maintain per caps, I foresee a vicious cycle of declining attendance and rising in park prices.

So, Donnie, I take it you won't be buying beer at the bar in Oktoberfest this season?

That wouldn't have happened under Paramount Parks, and Cedar Fair releases virtually no admissions data on an individual park basis. Assuming the park even HAS that data....I know Paramount Parks did random attendance surveys (remember the data takers with clipboards and computing devices either just inside or just outside the gate?). I assume Cedar Fair does as well, but considers that data proprietary. I do know that throughout the industry, it is the guests who travel the furthest to get to the park and who visit the least often who spend the most in the park per visit. And those are the visits most at risk in this economy. Those who go often (especially season passholders) spend the least. Mr. Kinzel has even been known to call season passholders "freeloaders" in the past, as have many others in the industry.

Then again, that was before his company acquired the much more pass driven Paramount Parks, especially Kings Island. When his pricing integrity scheme met resistance (no gold pass perks at first, perhaps parking was not included, etc.), he almost immediately reinstated those benefits...aka "caved."

Guest kwindshawne
On channel 12 a few minutes ago they showed a station where it was $5.39 a gallon. Not sure where it was at.

California...it hit 4.95 a few days ago-believe it was north. cal

If you are a season pass holder and live with a 50 mile radius of the park then it is a good value even with the prices of gas going up. As for the break down of head count of park guests I am sure they wouldn't give out such info even if they have it however you can find out the park population for the day. I still think this year will be a good year for the park attendance wise.

Guest kwindshawne
That wouldn't have happened under Paramount Parks, and Cedar Fair releases virtually no admissions data on an individual park basis. Assuming the park even HAS that data....I know Paramount Parks did random attendance surveys (remember the data takers with clipboards and computing devices either just inside or just outside the gate?). I assume Cedar Fair does as well, but considers that data proprietary. I do know that throughout the industry, it is the guests who travel the furthest to get to the park and who visit the least often who spend the most in the park per visit. And those are the visits most at risk in this economy. Those who go often (especially season passholders) spend the least. Mr. Kinzel has even been known to call season passholders "freeloaders" in the past, as have many others in the industry.

Then again, that was before his company acquired the much more pass driven Paramount Parks, especially Kings Island. When his pricing integrity scheme met resistance (no gold pass perks at first, perhaps parking was not included, etc.), he almost immediately reinstated those benefits...aka "caved."

Wow-talk about biting the hand that feeds you-along the same line, I heard an indian doctor who said he was going to get rich off of fat americans.....which he has

I am debating now how I will afford to drive to the park-depending on my tax situation, I will either work again this year, or I may have to call and say sorry........

Cedar Fair no longer releases individual park admissions data of any kind..except officially through its marketing department it may from time to time choose to release certain information for marketing reasons. Park population data at any given time on any given day is now considered proprietary information and is no longer available to the public. It's been that way for some time.

Gas prices are bad enough that I decided not to go to cancel a job interview because the company is 21 miles away from home and I would rather find a job closer to home. 42 miles of driving a day with these gas prices would eat into my budget.

Although I must admit, that I never actually applied for the job. The company found my resume at monster and called me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but usuaully for a GOOD job, don't they advertise? It seems that whenever a company contacts me and I never applied, it is always some type of sales job with a title like "Marketing".

Any thoughts?????

Guest kwindshawne
Gas prices are bad enough that I decided not to go to cancel a job interview because the company is 21 miles away from home and I would rather find a job closer to home. 42 miles of driving a day with these gas prices would eat into my budget.

Although I must admit, that I never actually applied for the job. The company found my resume at monster and called me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but usuaully for a GOOD job, don't they advertise? It seems that whenever a company contacts me and I never applied, it is always some type of sales job with a title like "Marketing".

Any thoughts?????

You are probably correct. Within the last few months, my healthcare job has turned into a marketing and collection agency type of job. Plus it is in a bad neighborhood, extremely stressful, and farther from home. I am tired of my blood pressure medicine not working and the aggravation. If I can find something close enough to walk, I will.

• 2 weeks later...

...which leaves guests more money to spend on high priced food and for parking?

Nope....I still suspect that these gas prices are going to NEGATIVELY affect seasonal, regional parks...and that instead of many going there instead of going to Disney/Uni; many more will stay home and a few will save what pennies they have to make that ONE special trip to Disney/Uni. Locals, yes, will go to their local, seasonal park...but overall park attendees will spend less. First, the larger percentage of locals attending always spend less than those who come from afar, and, more importantly, even locals will have less to spend on discretionary things like $12 amusement park lunches.

...which leaves guests more money to spend on high priced food and for parking?

The current trend of food service providers (i.e. Sysco, Curtze, Maple Valley) is that they have been increasing the cost of their food/ supplies with the increasing gas prices.

That only means there is an excellent chance that food prices will not only increase not only at KI, but at most food service venues.

Except, except, except...the food cost is a very small percentage of the retail cost of the food in venues like parks, stadiums, etc. One thing is for sure...the food prices go up much more, perhaps any at all, at Kings Island this season, and the total sales WILL fall, and perhaps the net profit on food as well....not even taking into account the effect on future admissions.

Except, except, except...the food cost is a very small percentage of the retail cost of the food in venues like parks, stadiums, etc.

That food cost is more than you think.

Being in the food business (in a past life ;) ), the cost of not only food, but all the supplies that go along with serving food is about 35% of the total cost for a particular item. Then add in the utility costs (which have been going up with the cost of oil) and overhead, there really is not that much left over to make a profit.

Guest kwindshawne

It's going to be a rough year for sure. I am interested to see what is going to happen. I think we will have an indication within the first couple of weekends of how this year will be. Last year, most of the summer was spent listening to complaints of the high food prices (which I secretly agreed with), I can only imagine how much language I will get to hear this year. The only place somewhat worth the cost to me is the backyard bbq-that is the only thing at KI now that doesn't tear my stomach up. If gas hits $4, which it probably will, we are in trouble. I had considered a hybrid; but now, I am going to do some work on my 171,000 mile accord-now it is a quest to see how far it will go. Buying a car in this economy makes no sense for me.

Cory-I am still interested in carpooling-I am spending some time in KY on work weekends, just because it is closer, but I for one am making a lot of changes until things improve. Ebay is going to see some action from me this summer.