The Whip at Kings Island

raptor

Perhaps Cuddle Up?

Yes, wasn't the cuddle up in Coney Mall? I thought that was a whip type of ride.

Then ( I think) when they expanded the the bumper cars they got rid of it?

I thought that's what was explained to me, but now I'm not sure myself.

Another question on this subject....did the cuddle up come from Coney Island like the Tumble Bug, Bavarian Beetle, Flying Scooters, etc ?

It must have been Americana aka Lesourdsville, My mother told me they took my sister and myself there when I was very young, but I have absolutely no memory of going there, but I have a very distinct memory of riding a full size whip and loving it when I was pretty young and other than this trip to Americana that my mom says I went to, I visited no other amusement parks as a kid other than Kings Island, well that and Magic World In Pigeon Forge

So even though I have no memory of going to Americana, this very distinct memory of riding a full size whip must have been from there and remembering this later, I would have assumed it was Kings Island

I noticed that they did have a whip and I assume it was still there in the early 80's

Indeed this 1997 map of Americana shows the whip, this must have been it, and my mom must have been right about me going there, although I have no memory of the place other than riding the whip that thinking back I thought was Kings Island, looks like a cool park, I wish I had visited it more, but I never really realized it was still there till after it closed.

http://www.themeparkbrochures.net/maps/1997/am1997.html

One of the rides that came over from Coney Island and was installed in the Coney Mall was the adult whip. I am not sure the exact name of it but it was in the same building as the dodgems. I beleive it was called the Cuddle Up. The dodgems were later moved to their present location and the Cuddle Up was taken out. If my memory serves me it was located somewhere near the Scrambler. There was not a tea cup ride at Kings Island besides the "Barrels" in Octoberfest and the Witches Cauldron (based of the Winsom Witch) in Hanna Barbera Land.

I have noticed that many online timelines and people here give the last year of the Cuddle Up as 1985, assuming it was removed when Coney was remodeled and the Dodgems moved/expanded. Does anyone know for a fact that this was the case? Do we have actual proof that the Cuddle Up was there in the 80's?

The reason I ask is that I have a 1977 Kings Island map, and it shows that the building that once housed the Dodgems and CuddleUp became a building that instead housed the Dodgems and a Fascination game. So according to that map, the Cuddle Up was gone by 1977 and replaced with a Fascination game. This was BEFORE the Dodgems got expanded and moved in 1986.

Does anyone have any other maps from 1977 - 1985 that clearly show that the Cuddle Up was there? My 1983 map does not mention the Cuddle Up, and I can find no photos or maps from 77-85 that show it was there. While the 1977 map I have could be wrong, it is also odd that the Cuddle Up is not mentioned as a ride on the 1983 map as well.

As stated before, the Cuddle Up was NOT a Mangels Whip, but indeed a tea cup ride...

The kiddie Whip at Kings Island IS a Mangels, and did come from Coney.

As for location, see 4 and 8 in this map from the 1974 brochure:

http://www.KICentral.com/history/photos/di...um=8&pos=10

I rode it. It was indeed a ride just like the kiddie ride version just bigger. It was not a tea cup ride. That I do know.

Also the shell of the building that housed the two rides (Whip/Cuddle Up and the Dodgems) is still standing. It is right next to the Scrambler and now has games located inside of it.

I am a Mangels Whip aficionado from way back. The Cuddle Up was a Tea Cup/Crazy Daisy type ride. It was not a Mangels Whip. Sadly, Kings Island never had an adult Mangels Whip. I rode Cuddle Up seldom, which is not true of any operating Mangels Whip I have ever seen. (Friends will tell you I have even ridden the Kiddie Whip at both Camden Park and Stricker's Grove).

The only Cuddle Up picture I have found is on a competing site, and very small. When enlarged, it is clear Cuddle Up was indeed NOT a Mangels Whip.

The Coney Island Whip was never at Kings Island. If you read the brochure for those that have it

from 1974, it does not mention a Whip. The only rides of those 3 that came from Coney were the old

Dodgems and Cuddle Up. To my knowledge, Cuddle Up left in 1975, and was turned into that shop

that is there now, or that bowling game. The Dodgems left in 1984. I have no idea where the

Whip went from Coney, but it was not taken to Kings Island. My guess is, it was destroyed, but

could be wrong on that. Coney will be at Winter SOAR, perhaps we can ask him if he knows where

it went!

Holy crap, thank you so much for posting those pics. The Cuddle Up has always been one of KI's past rides that has always been sort of mysterious to me. I also found it odd that Cuddle Up was never mentioned in some of the 80's maps that I've seen, especially since I knew that it shared a building with Dodgems. And as stated above, Dodgems was moved/expanded for the 86 season, so I always just assumed that Cuddle Up was removed at that time.

Perhaps Enchanted Voyage rode the Whip at Coney Island pre-1972? Or at Americana?

No. I will admit I was young when I rode it and have no proof except for my memory. I was born in 72 so I never got to Coney and I never went to Americana. We went to Kings Island every year as a kid. Interesting though. I bow to your knowledge of the ride as it appears you have a passion for it. But I am 95% that I rode a large whip at Kings Island. I remember the dodgems being right next door. It was one of my favorite "large" rides.

That would have been the Cuddle Up, but even that was apparently removed in 1975, according to RaptorGuy and surviving brochures. I can see why you might think a PTC Cuddle Up might be a Whip at that age! Other sources have the ride leaving when the Dodgems were moved and expanded in 1985, but the brochures agree with RaptorGuy...

I have to admit that one of the first things I flock to when I get to Stricker's Grove is the Kiddie Whip, dreaming of getting a chance to ride a big one again, which between the big whip and tumble bug was the original inspiration for me planning a trip to Kennywood this summer