K.I. in 2008

2BMasterofK.I._29

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the main point was that Cedar Point often has larger crowds...or so it seems....for instance, at KI the only rides i had to wait in line for was The Beast (15- minutes), Son of Beast (10-15minutes), Delirium (30 minutes), Firehawk (1-2 hours)....and these are wait times for my favorite seats.....Cedar Point, on the other hand, usually has lines that over 1-4 hours long for SEVERAL rides....maverick, TTD, raptor, millenium force.....(off the top of my head)

Oddly, most years Kings Island has a larger attendance than Cedar Point...something I have never really understood, or, for that matter, even believed.

Great Adventure also reports much lower attendance than Kings Island did under Paramount. Comparing crowds at the parks from an attendee's perspective, it just doesn't seem realistic....

the main point was that Cedar Point often has larger crowds...or so it seems....for instance, at KI the only rides i had to wait in line for was The Beast (15- minutes), Son of Beast (10-15minutes), Delirium (30 minutes), Firehawk (1-2 hours)....and these are wait times for my favorite seats.....Cedar Point, on the other hand, usually has lines that over 1-4 hours long for SEVERAL rides....maverick, TTD, raptor, millenium force.....(off the top of my head)

Thats fine and dandy. My point is that park is more for coaster freaks. It is not as much of a family park as KI. As for the lines. We were at KI for 2 days last year. The fist day was very gloomy and yes the lines were short, it was great. The 2nd day was sunny. The park was so crowded and the lines were so long. I waited in line for the copter thing in Nick Universe with my daughter for over an hour. All the lines were terrible, even close to closing time.

Oddly, most years Kings Island has a larger attendance than Cedar Point...something I have never really understood, or, for that matter, even believed.

Great Adventure also reports much lower attendance than Kings Island did under Paramount. Comparing crowds at the parks from an attendee's perspective, it just doesn't seem realistic....

What years were these? Maybe before Cedar, and before Paramount? H-B days???? :P

"Looks like nick parade isn't coming back"

Is it just me, or are they not bringing back Nick Parade as part of a slow prosses to remove Nick completely?

False. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw it come back sometime in the next few years... just not this year.

^Not sure that they are going to remove Nick. They have a license agreement, but can't remember when it expires.

It was a four year agreement, but they have the option to extend. Nick isn't being removed. Not now, not soon.

I'm sure there will be some new paint jobs as well as other improvements. I'm very interested in their new shows for this year. Haven't seen one since the '80s.

1) Correct 2) You've been missing out BIG TIME in the past few years.

I remember when Kings Island would offer two shows in the International Showplace, two shows in their indoor theatre, a show in the Festhaus, a show in the restaurant in River Town, as well as a show in the kids area, along with the dolphin show and other forms of street entertainment. I would love to see them reach that level again. That being said, I am glad to see that entertainment is better now than it has been in many many years. I hope that continues to get better!

I'm no animal expert, but I really doubt you'll see the extensive return of animals to KI ever again.

I thought we would at least get the Nick parade. I hope they at least do some major park improvements, not just signage. At this rate, 2008 maybe one of the smallest capital improvement years in KI history.

It's kind of like how you can "work hard or work smart." I honestly have no idea how much money they're putting into the park this year, but I can assure you that the 2008 season will be as exciting or more exciting than any season in which they add a ride.

The map doesn't show anything updated, but the entertainment section says "Something for everyone in the family"

From Ice Skating, non-stop island rhythms to Dora the Explorer Live, Kings Island's 2008 entertainment package has it all! 5 family friendly shows highlight the season-long program, which will have guests singing and dancing in the aisles.

That blurb is what we call an understatement.

It also says that Halloween Haunt will operate every Friday and Saturday night until 1am from Sept. 26 - Nov. 1

Yeah, the season's extended through the first weekend in November. No Bare Bones is scheduled this year to my knowledge, however that does NOT reflect a failure. In fact, people reacted rather well to Bare Bones, all things considered.

Seriously... 2008 is going to be a GREAT season! Old ideas will be become new again, we'll have that "new ride name smell" in the air, and maybe even a peak into the future.

That blurb is straight from the 2008 Kings Island Brochure. Word for word. So if it is an understatement, then they are underestimating themselves.

I think the key here is in smaller children attendance. I thoroughly believe that KI's attendance is made up of a lot more smaller children then Cedar Point. The key point being Nick Universe vs Cedar Point's areas. Kings Island's children area is always packed to the gills, where as I have seen packed and empty from Cedar Point. I wonder if that is relevant at all.

I have to agree with you Teenageninja. I do not want to even compare the Snoopy kids area to Nickolodeon Universe. Both are in my mind great children's areas and nothing more and certainly nothing less. The simple matter is that like yourself, when I have been to Cedar Point I see mostly early teens to adults. However in all the times I go to Kings Island, Avatar and many other attractions in NU have a longer line than half the thrill rides in the park.

I would deffinately like to see how the attendence of children under 13 compares between Kings Island and Cedar Point.

As Interpreter pointed out in regards to the "Attendee's point of view", It seems that NU at KI is always packed to the gills, and you can see children walking all over the park. I see this activity very little at Cedar Point.

I think the key here is in smaller children attendance. I thoroughly believe that KI's attendance is made up of a lot more smaller children then Cedar Point. The key point being Nick Universe vs Cedar Point's areas. Kings Island's children area is always packed to the gills, where as I have seen packed and empty from Cedar Point. I wonder if that is relevant at all.

Its because KI is more of a family park. KI's attendance is made up of children and adults of ALL ages. :)

I take it you did see this in the first post in this thread:

...The map doesn't show anything updated, but the entertainment section says "Something for everyone in the family"

From Ice Skating, non-stop island rhythms to Dora the Explorer Live, Kings Island's 2008 entertainment package has it all! 5 family friendly shows highlight the season-long program, which will have guests singing and dancing in the aisles....

from the park's travel brochures....

I take it you did see this in the first post in this thread:

...The map doesn't show anything updated, but the entertainment section says "Something for everyone in the family"

From Ice Skating, non-stop island rhythms to Dora the Explorer Live, Kings Island's 2008 entertainment package has it all! 5 family friendly shows highlight the season-long program, which will have guests singing and dancing in the aisles....

from the park's travel brochures....

No, I saw that. I just wasn't sure if anyone may have any inside information beyond that.

When was the last time KI did not introduce a new ride of some sort for the year?

2007- Firehawk

2006- Nick Universe (numerous rides)

2005- Italian Job / WinterFest

2004- Boomerang Bay / Nick Parade

2003- Delerium / Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle

2002- Tomb Raider: the Ride

2001- Nick Central - Wild Thornsberry

2000- Son of Beast

1999- Action Zone- Drop Zone / Face-Off

1998- can't remember

1997- Waterworks expansion

1996- Flight of Fear

1995- Drop Zone / Splat City

1994- Days of Thunder

1993- Top Gun

1992- Phantom Theater

1991- Adventure Express

1990- Flight Commander / Waterworks expansion

1989- Waterworks opens

1988- Amazon Falls

1987- Vortex

1986- Skylab, Zephyr, Dogems

1985- Whitewater Canyon

1984- Smurf's Voyage

1983- Festhaus / Viking Fury

1982- TimberWolf / Hanna Barbera rennovation / Winterfest

1981- The Bat

1980- nothing

1979- The Beast

1978- nothing

1977- Screamin Demon

1976- American Heritage Music Hall

1975- Coney Mall extension

1974- Lion Country Safari

1973- Kenton's Cover Keelboat Canal / Bayern Curve

1972- park opens

so, is this year to be a first since 1980?