Arcade at KI

Rustbucket

What games will be in the arcade is never known until the season begins. Mixes change, vendors change, demand changes.

I remember when it was wall to wall with skeeball, and it was a DIME! (I was really little though) :P

Oh, I'm really telling on myself :(

I still love skeeball, but now they have maybe five skeeball machines? :(

I remember a trip in 1981, when my dad gave us each $10 to spend in the park. The golden age of arcade gaming was upon us. I had heard that Kings Island had a huge arcade in the vicinity of the Monster, and I was impressed with the selection. There were the usuals: Pac Man, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Galaxian, etc. But there were also some very unusual ones, like "Steeplechase", "Shoot Out", and driving simulators that were pretty much just a bunch of white lines with the occasional vector cow. I looked forward to hours of video bliss, only to find that every machine took at least 3 quarters to play (1 quarter was the standard in 1981), and that the machines were all somehow set to maximum speed/difficulty. I think my whole ten bucks was gone in about 10 short minutes. Oh, well. The Racer was right there, and the lines were pretty short. Not a total loss.

There is an arcade in Coney Mall. However, nothing about it strikes me as 1980s per se.

It seems that the only stand up arcade games to survive the home entertainment system revolution have been "Galaga" and "Mrs. Pac Man". I see those in many places lately. I wonder if they might pop up at KI this season.

I think in all my times visiting Kings Island i have never went inside an arcade to play a game. I have though however shot Basketball in Rivertown and played Fast Pitch in Coney. And correct me if i am wrong but in The Brady Bunch Episode, "Cincinatti Kids", the football game Greg plays, arent the holes much smaller today?

• 5 years later...

Just curious... what Pinball machines (if any) does the arcade have? Planning a trip this Summer and I'm a big pinball fan. Wondering what I can look forward to playing when I go. Thanks!

IIRC, there aren't any. :(

I think there is a pinball machine in the arcade near The Beast, but don't quote me on that, the only time I spend in the arcades are when our 5 year old wants to spend a few minutes pretending like he's playing the games. If my memory is correct on the pinball machine by The Beast, I have no idea what it is called or themed, I only recall seeing a young couple playing it while my son was messing around.

I'd LOVE it if Kings Island opened a a retro-arcade with really, really old games from pinball on through the 80's. I'd spend the bucks there just reminiscing the old days...LOL

That's why I love the arcade at CP. Lots of old video games, pinball machines and mechanical games in the back! I stop in during every trip up there, and I can keep myself occupied in there for quite some time.

• Like 4

Just curious... what Pinball machines (if any) does the arcade have? Planning a trip this Summer and I'm a big pinball fan. Wondering what I can look forward to playing when I go. Thanks!

I have some great pinball on my iPad, but there's nothing like hitting real flipper buttons, and the smack of the ball against the glass. Captain Fantastic was my favorite!

• Like 4