CINCINNATI ZOO

It seems to me that the Cincinnati Zoo has a bit of land to the north of Cincinnati? If this is correct and anyone knows the exact amount?

Lets come up with some thoughts on what they could do up that way to go with Warren County's Ohio capital of fun?????

My thoughts are they make a african safari with indoor buildings for winter months, something like animal kingdom. And all the other rides are indoors and can be used in the winter months!! Like a lost voyage boat ride, A shootem up style ride, even maybe an indoor coaster???

I was thinking they have like 700 acres ?

I`ve heard of the land that the zoo owns. However, I believe that they intend on using the land for more conservation/studying of animals and not to publicly display the animals. In other words, it would be more of a research facility then an actual public attraction. And the zoo is in the animal business, not the amusement park business (although they do have a couple of rides). I highly doubt that they have the capital funds to build anything major in Warren County. Nor do I think they have any plans to do so.

• Like 1

Years ago, the zoo looked into the possibility of opening a safari, closer to Mason. I do not know the circumstances that led to the success or failure of the project. As far as rides go, yes the Cincinnati Zoo, like many other parks has a carousel with an animal theme. And they have their round the park train, and SpongeBob 4-D. But these rides, to a non-profit organization have 2 basic functions. One, they are pay rides designed to raise money for animal care and conservation efforts. Two, they obviously assist in families having a better time, which can bring people back to the zoo, and influence families to buy passes or become zoo members, ultimately resulting in more funds. As a city owned park, the Cincinnati Zoo, like many others will most likely never have roller coasters or anything even close to this level. It's not the business that they are in, and if a zoo's director was even willing to suggest a program to raise money for such an occurance, the director should be evaluated by advisors, etc. In my opinion ( and yes I feel that I am qualified to speak for zoological park management ) funds raised by city owned parks would be wasted if spent on such development.

As far as the extension of land, under management of the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Gardens, One location is currently used for conservation, and research. This land primarily houses "surplus" animals. Animals that cannot be housed at the actual Zoo Grounds due to lack of space and funds. I believe that one location is privately owned, but houses animals for the zoo such as Cheetahs, which in this manner obtain a habitat in which they can live out healthier lives with more room to engage in natural behaviors. This creates the ideal opportunity to research the given species. Due to this reason, such locations will probably not be open for the general public. But even still, I would not rule out the possibility of a massive expansion project a few years down the line. Not counting the new projects already in development at the zoo. ( giraffe feeding, extension of c.r.e.w., parking lot, education center, etc. )

m.f.

Well, the Cincinnati Zoo is also supported by Hamilton County property owners for some funding. A levy was just passed yesterday for the zoo. An interesting thing to note is that the Cincinnati Zoo is the second oldest zoo in the country, behind the Philadelphia Zoo.

Additionally, the zoo used to have more attractions. They also, at one point in time had a children`s wooden coaster. They also had such attractions as antique cars, several kiddie rides like a kiddie tumblebug. Additionally, the zoo also had a PTC Carousel, number 45. It was built in 1918, and operated at the zoo until the 1970s. At that point, it was sold to Great America in California, where it operated through the mid 90`s. The Carousel now resides in Seattle at the Woodland Park Zoo, where it continues to thrill visitors to that zoo.

I usually look at this as being simple. It's just a forum page, so why express yourself to full potential. It's just not worth the effort. It's just a place that I visit to entertain myself. However, in this case, I took the seriousness of the situation to heart. As a result, today at about 5p.m., I made a phone call to the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Gardens, and spoke with the Marketing Manager, Mr. Andrew S. and discussed with him the forum at hand. To be perfectly honest, he was quite surprised that the Zoo was even a topic on a Kings Island web address. Even an unofficial one, in which case his immediate response was.."Interesting". He had nothing against it, but he just found it to be unexpected.

In this conversation, it was equally thought that to the general public, zoo's MAY come across as being competitive. Columbus vs. Cincinnati, for an example, might be thought of as being like N.Y. Mets vs. Cincy Reds. This is simply not the case. This is the point of an A.Z.A. accreditation. To have the highest quality in standards, and to know who is a partner. The reality of this does go into extremes to make it all work. ZIMS, ZIMES, and so many other advanced new programs have been taken into action to eliminate possible causes of failures in the past, especially with breeding programs, which are constantly showing improvement with advanced study methods, on a global scale. After all, the success in breeding high value species brings profit to zoo's.

Any action that the Columbus Zoo takes now, is based on a constant study to see what people respond to in a positive attitude when visiting zoological parks. But, like any other, again I push the term A.Z.A. park, all of the rides, and attractions, and newly formed habitats still amount to a solid result. Funding for the animals in the facility, and funding for conservation efforts.. After all, zoos are a business, and their business is to entertain the public with unique experiences.

If you are desiring to see roller coasters, Go to Busch Gardens, Go to Wild Adventures, Go to Disney's Animal Kingdom, Go to Sea World. These parks are designed specifically for the co-existence of the two attractions, and they work because the general public recognizes this pattern. And these parks, much like Kings Island was in the past, have worked in this manner with specific private owners. It seems to always be beneficial to an amusement park ( with the exception of the failed Kings Island ) to add animals to your list of attractions. But one does not simply add an amusement park to a zoo, and not expect to ruin the very principles and the values that which the zoo was founded and of which the zoo has evolved throughout the years. ( I would like to add that YES, the Columbus Zoo and Aqarium does have an exceptional list of things to do, but by no means are they an Amusement park, with large roller coasters such as the idea suggested in an earlier reply. )

Who on this page has the expertise of animal attractions? Who is in pursuit of a management position at an A.Z.A. accredited institution? I have both the experience and the knowledge for this. And as far as the director emeritus at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, Jack Hanna. He is brilliant. I know more about Jack than I care to share here, simply based on the fact that I do not feel the need to do so. And lets just say that he knew me long before Aquatica.

It is part of my job requirement to be knowledgeable about other parks accomplishments and failures.

I apologize for seemingly lashing out. I do not usually do so. It goes against my nature.

I agree with most things you said Marlfox. You obviously have an outlook towards the traditional conservation side, which is good. I must say, and I do not mean to seem brash but it seems that you don't understand that the more people you bring into a zoo that would not visit otherwise, the better you can cater to conservation efforts and further your message to those who wish to hear it anyways. Look at the Columbus Zoo. The more golfers go to their golf course, the more money they have to put into expansion of the zoos educational programs and conservation efforts, the more veterinarians they can hire, as well as the more interns they can hire to give back something to the community in the form of job readiness. Also the more people that notice the water park will notice the zoo. And the more money spent in the water park just makes the Zoo even better financially speaking. Also the Zoo is going to have Jungle Jack's Landing, a small scale traditional dry park to help further entertain guests and bring more funds to conservation. How is this a bad thing? You say that conservation is what its all about, and I would say that we all agree with you, no one here will dispute that. But by doing these other things you attract other people to conservation, you further conservation allowing your message to be heard by all types of people. Even people that don't like animals enough to go into the zoo will maybe think twice about not throwing their Wendy's bag out the car window if they see a striking statement in the water park talking about how litter contributes to the recession of Flora and Fauna.

But one does not simply add an amusement park to a zoo, and not expect to ruin the very principles and the values that which the zoo was founded and of which the zoo has evolved throughout the years.

Once again, I don't see this. In my mind the effort of a zoological facility is to educate others about conservation, to tell people that otherwise would not hear the message about conservation what they should know. Furthering the message of conservation to all that will hear it, no matter how it is done is a very good thing. You have to practice conservation, but these AZA accredited facilities would not receive their accredidation without preaching conservation, as you know. Just to do is not enough, you must teach, and in order to teach, you must attract people other than those that would typically come to a zoo and teach them. That is what the benchmark for success will become. This is what a place like The Columbus Zoo realizes. They are not getting rid of their principles, they are reinforcing their principles if anything. They want to have a greater conservation effort and the only way they can do that is bring more people into the fold. Their programs and educational opportunities are top-tier, some of the best in the nation. They are limited in getting better in that department, but what they can do is attract more cash, build greater facitlities and bring more people to the zoo. It is all about the message of conservation, what is the point in conserving, if you can't at least try get others to join in?

but by no means are they an Amusement park, with large roller coasters such as the idea suggested in an earlier reply.

Now, this is very true, they are not an amusement park. They have a water park, and a dry park, a golf course, and a Zoological facility. I think you could call it a fledgling resort destination with a heavy, and equal if not greater concentration in Animal and Eco-system conservation than any other facility out there. Once again they want to bring their message to others that would not hear it otherwise.

I would like to add that as you say, the Zoo's may not be in "direct competition", but ALL zoos are in competition with other leisure activities, interests, and destinations to attract peoples attention and educate them on the message of, our buzzword of the night, Conservation. Without this you educate the same people who like animals day in and day out. And these are not the people that need to be attracted to things they are already passionate about, they can research for themselves and will visit a zoo without hesitation. Who you need to educate is anyone who should know more about conservation than they do. Which is arguably 100% of all persons on this earth, whether already interested or not.

Thank you Cory B. for all of your concern. I really do agree with a lot of what you say. But successfully putting it all together takes a lot of time, and a lot of money. And I'm sorry if my typing isn't up to par here. I'm having a stressful day. So I came on here to relax for a minute.

I INVESTED IN A LAPTOP!!!! ( LOL-at myself ) You would be surprised at what these little things can do.

I am so many years outdated.....

Anyway's, you know, I would like to add another note referring back to the original topic of this forum. I do not know every little detail. In fact, to be honest, I know very far from every detail. However, when I spoke with Andrew yesterday, he mentioned the current zoo projects, and he also mentioned something else. He didn't go into any details at all, ( so for those of you who LOVE RUMORS, I can offer you no facts here ) but he was rather hysterical. He told me that "well, here in the near future, we will have new projects again." I did not dare to ask how, but he did offer this explanation on his own. "You'll notice"

Typically, this could mean anything. He did not mind the idea of me sharing this with you, as long as I do not attempt to make up any explanation. And quite frankly, I do not have one.

So basically, this is a lot of words for a very simple meaning, that I guess could be worded like this...

More is coming, but it could be anything. ( a.k.a. I'm not claiming to officially confirm anything. )

I'm going to stop now, because this is even annoying me.

have a good day

• 9 years later...

They own land in Warren and it is called The Wilds. They use it as a Safari close encounters with roaming animals in certain points. They have enclosed keeps that a guide gives you a tour in. Kids also learn more with the animals being roamers and seeing how they would move and enteract with other animals. Non predators, but also an enclosed space for the Cheetahs that they take in that they rescue from abused situations and have not had Zoo Keeper attention. Also they have huts that you can rent and get an almost African safari, yet no lions roaming to eat you.  It is an awesome and wonderful experience for kids of all ages.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Semfileslie said:

They own land in Warren and it is called The Wilds. They use it as a Safari close encounters with roaming animals in certain points. They have enclosed keeps that a guide gives you a tour in. Kids also learn more with the animals being roamers and seeing how they would move and enteract with other animals. Non predators, but also an enclosed space for the Cheetahs that they take in that they rescue from abused situations and have not had Zoo Keeper attention. Also they have huts that you can rent and get an almost African safari, yet no lions roaming to eat you.  It is an awesome and wonderful experience for kids of all ages.

The Wilds are actually in Cumberland, OH, East of Zanesville and is managed (although, not technically "owned") by the Columbus Zoo. The Wilds is on reclaimed strip mined land that was donated by Ohio Power (now, currently part of AEP Ohio) as a non-profit wild animal refuge. The Columbus Zoo took over management several years ago, and the economies of scale (not to mention the Zoo's management acumen) has really helped it thrive and remain viable. In addition to the safari and animal encounters you mention, they also have a really cool zip lining course.

https://thewilds.columbuszoo.org/

• Like 1

I just checked out the link above and saw that the Columbus Zoo apparently is linked to/manages a golf course!?! That's pretty cool. I haven't been to the Columbus Zoo since I was a kid. Back then, I was obsessed with animals/zoos much like I am passionate about my current interests of roller coasters and Pokemon!

-MDMC, who once thought he was making a tape for PBS. :lol:

• Like 1