Coney to Add Three new Attractions in 2008

CoastersRZ

For the 2008 season, Coney is debuting three new attractions. One of those, the Eurobungy Dome, is an extra pay as you play attraction. The other two new attractions are the Turtle Parade and a viking ship with a tentative name of River Runner.

Additionally, the Kiddie Circle Freeway has officially been retired from service. And the Spin A Ree has been removed from service, and placed in storage.

The Frog Hopper will have a new home in 2008, near Boats and Trains, as its former site will now be the home of the River Runner. Additionally, The Giant Slide has a new home next to the Tilt-A-Whirl, as its former home is now the home of the new National City Pavilion at Riverbend.

For more information, please visit the "New for 2008" page on Coney Island Central.

Great to hear. Personally, I'm a bit sad to see Freeway gone, since it was the first ride I ever operated. Aside from that though, all is well. I've always wanted to run a swinging ship, and it'll be cool to try out that Euro-bungee when I'm off work. (Plus the frog hopper survives and is finally moved to a better location. Yay Frog Hopper!)

I will definitely be making a trip to Coney this season. I probably haven't been to the actual park in about 12 years, with the exception of a few concerts at Riverbend.

Oh, and if anyone from Coney is reading this, the Screeching Eagle over at the former Americana/Lesourdsville Lake is for sale! (Hint, Hint!) I even know a few guys who could work wooden roller coaster maintenance for you!

Have you visited Coney Island Central? The answer to your questions can be found over there.

This was the Spin a Ree ride.

This is the old Kiddie Circle Freeway ride.

And this is what I believe will be the turtle ride. I do not know if Coney actually bought the old ride from Kings Island (the one that is currently pictured on that page), or if they bought the ride some place else. Regardless, the ride will likely be a kiddie tumblebug ride.

If Conneuat Lake ever sells it's rides it would be great to see the full-size Tumble Bug (wishful thinking) it would be a perfect fit,

also I wish Coney Island still sold tickets I use to love to hop on just one or two rides on my way to a concert at Riverbend that was always fun.

how ironic would it be if rides that left Coney for KI came back some 36 years later.

About "Eagle" for sale.... Mr. Bombay, you've been near the coaster so you could probably tell better than I, but wood that old, not maintained for this long.... would it even be safe if they tried to move such a thing?

Hooray!! Coney island finnally gets some new rides!Im kinda excited to see it expand but it lost a ride i really Liked.The spinner eee ride.Although i did look like it was in bad shape but a liitle maintenece could fix that!And if CI got the screechin eagle where would it be put?

I would think that the Eagle is down for the count. Looking at pictures of the ride, I think it would be cheaper just to copy the ride and rebuild it that way rather than moving all that rotted out wood.

The Eagle has had its day, and in the famous words, we say goodbye:

"Houston, the Eagle has landed."

I know this is slightly a bad comparsion but my building is over 20 years old. The 2x4s that make up the frame are in perfect condition however, the plywood in rotting away. If the Eagle is made from treated wood, it may not be in too bad shape. Phoenix was relocated in the 80s for 1.5 million dollars, since Eagle is smaller I imagine moving it a short distance compared to halfway cross the country would be about the same costs. I doubt it will ever be moved however.

I would think that the Eagle is down for the count. Looking at pictures of the ride, I think it would be cheaper just to copy the ride and rebuild it that way rather than moving all that rotted out wood.

The Eagle has had its day, and in the famous words, we say goodbye:

"Houston, the Eagle has landed."

Incorrect, most of it is not "rotting away." Without a doubt, it could definitely use some TLC and would need some major overhauling if moved to any park, but the ride was pretty much re-done for the 2002 season and well maintained throughout that year. Chippewa Lake's "Big Dipper" saw its last riders around 1979, the majority of the wooden structure of that ride is still standing in the woods on Northeastern, Ohio. Could it run? Ha! No! But, it is an example of how well a wooden ride can hold up un-maintained standing in the elements for years.

how ironic would it be if rides that left Coney for KI came back some 36 years later.

About "Eagle" for sale.... Mr. Bombay, you've been near the coaster so you could probably tell better than I, but wood that old, not maintained for this long.... would it even be safe if they tried to move such a thing?

Yes, I did have a chance to take a tour of Americana/Lesourdsville Lake last year along with Boddah1994 and Dane. The ride was rehabbed and pretty much overhauled pre-2002 by, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was GCI who had a hand in it. The structure has weeds growing through it and some flimsy sections, but for the most part it looks just like another wooden roller coaster in the off season. Now, I won't get into specifics nor am I a structural engineer or expert at re-locating rides, but I do have somewhat respectable experience when it comes to how wooden coasters run, and specifically how they are maintained, and there are others on here who can vouch for me and affirm that. It looks to me as if that coaster could be moved and with a lot of rehabbing could be up and running again.

Americana0057.jpg

-Don't be fooled by rusty steel rails that sit on top of the wooden layers of the track. That is the way any wooden roller coaster will look after an entire off season of no rolling stock running on it and constant rain and snow. Granted, the majority of that steel would be replaced should it be relocated, but even at parks like KI and CP will take a few days of pre-opening cycles to polish up the steel and get ride of the rust.

Americana0058.jpg

-The structure for the most parts seems stable, once again I am no engineer, but compared to other abandoned wooden roller coasters I've seen, its not sagging or falling apart.

Americana0078.jpg

-The brake lines and electronics of the ride seem like they were re-done for the 2002 opening, and as of summer 2007 were still in good condition.

From what I can tell, a relocation of the eagle could be done. Without a doubt, the biggest obstacle would be the cost of such an operation. I'm no Coney Island financial expert but I am not sure if Coney would have the funds to conduct such a project. If you check out this recent Coney Island Central aerial shot:

DSCF2384.jpg

...it seems maybe they could fit it in the area next to the famous fairways mini golf.

Without a doubt, I think the eagle would be a huge hit there, be a well-rounded addition to an excellent park, as well as grant Coney some excellent publicity and attendance numbers among both enthusiasts and regular guests. It's biggest obstacle: cost. Maybe the good folks at www.soaphs.com or a local historical society could take up donations to start a fund to help Coney relocate the ride.

Ronny,

Why that seems like it would be an ideal location, you should visit Coney when they have the Appalachian festival, or the LaRosa`s Balloon Glow, or Cruise-A-Palooza. That lawn area is where they set up all the special events that they have. That being said, that lawn only gets used a handful of days every year. Otherwise, it is a large grassy area that is normally void of people, save for the mighty Firelite Express frequenting those paths on the weekends.

I am torn between wanting the Eagle to be relocated, and let it die with the park that made it famous.

Right now, I am honestly leaning towards its final resting place being Lesourdsville Lake.

I'd rather see a fantastic coaster be relocated for many others to enjoy for years to come, than to see a fantastic coaster rot and die.

Robbie, I forgot that area does get used for special events, but lets say the eagle was to occupy it, would those events be able to be relocated anywhere else in the park? I just think the addition of the eagle would nicely round out Coney and it make it more appealing to a wider spectrum of guests.

Stay tuned to www.queencitydisco.com in the coming days as I will probably update it with recently never before seen photographs from a separate trip to Americana.

I'd rather see a fantastic coaster be relocated for many others to enjoy for years to come, than to see a fantastic coaster rot and die.

Does the Big Dipper at Geauga Lake count? I wanna see that coaster live on and not get sold off out of state somewhere.

^Of course. Although, I think Dominator came pretty darn close, but Wooden Coasters are by far my Faves.

I would think it'd be pretty cool if either one got relocated to Coney.

In your Honest opinion, What Are The Odds Of Screechin Eagle Or Big Dipper Being Relocated To Coney?

Well, I`ve never operated a wooden roller coaster before. So I can`t say what condition they are in for relocating to Coney and being reassembled. However, I personally think that such a project would be outside of Coney`s financial capabilities, not to mention their area of expertise.

That being said, I think a small wooden coaster, like the Tornado at Stricker`s Grove, would be an instant hit at Coney, and would make the rides much more of a draw for the park then they currently are. Right now, the pool and group sales are the primary draws. The rides are there to assist in the draw power for the group sales program.