Coaster in 05

Chris Pki Fan

A friend told me that Kings Island was building a new coaster in 05. This Coaster is going to be made by intamin the same company that made MF and TTD. The Plans for The ride is to go behind SOB and be The Tallest and Fastest rollercoaster in the world. My friend dad knows a guy that worked on the steel for TTD. I hope this is true.

I really can't imagine it being taller than 420 ft., especially since PKI claims not to be in the coaster war. And the only way for it to be over 120 mph, is for it to be launched. The plans for PKI's next project are probably already finalized, and for something like this, It is a good bet that they would already have some land cleared and stakes in the ground.

There is also the cost issue. CP spent $25 million on TTD, and if PKI is going to build it bigger and faster, it is going to cost more. With the country in the mild recession that it is in presently, and the horrendous summer weather that we had this year, I can't see the money being there.

I really hope that your information is correct, but with PKI claiming not to be in the "coaster war" as they have put it, I seriously doubt it.

I could se pki doing something like this. You could get 120mph from a drop. TTD gets 120 coming back down to earth. Also paramount has alot more money then Cedar Point. Just cause you have the tallest and fastest doesnt mean your in the coaster war. I do think pki is in the coaster war tho. Just not nearly as big as cp. We really do take Kings Island for granted. It is still a GREAT coaster park.

I could se pki doing something like this. You could get 120mph from a drop. TTD gets 120 coming back down to earth.

TTD does reach a speed of 120 mph coming down from 400ft at a 90 degree angle. And to reach the top of 420 ft, it needs to be launched at least 120 mph. It would be the same thing as TTD. PKI wants either bigger than 420 ft, which also means faster or a different concept.

Millenium Force is 300 ft, and goes 93 mph at a 80 degree angle. Steel Dragon 2000 is 318ft and goes 95 mph. Even a normal lift hill would need to be taller than 420 ft for the coaster to be faster than TTD, and probably would also need an elevator lift like MF. SD2000 has two separate chain lifts, imagine how long it takes to get to the top?

Rickster- I would like to see the information that PKI has more money than CP. PKI is a division of Paramount, and it is also a separate entity. PKI has to pay Viacom a certain percentage of it's profits for the right to use the name Paramount. The entire entity of Viacom would have more money than Cedar Fair, but if PKI cannot survive on it's own, Viacom will not give them money to survive and the park will be sold. The same thing is currently happening with IoA, which is on the market.

Millenium Force is 300 ft, and goes 93 mph at a 80 degree angle. Steel Dragon 2000 is 318ft and goes 95 mph. Even a normal lift hill would need to be taller than 420 ft for the coaster to be faster than TTD, and probably would also need an elevator lift like MF. SD2000 has two separate chain lifts, imagine how long it takes to get to the top?

Rickster- I would like to see the information that PKI has more money than CP. PKI is a division of Paramount, and it is also a separate entity. PKI has to pay Viacom a certain percentage of it's profits for the right to use the name Paramount. The entire entity of Viacom would have more money than Cedar Fair, but if PKI cannot survive on it's own, Viacom will not give them money to survive and the park will be sold. The same thing is currently happening with IoA, which is on the market.

I think it would be entirely possible to build a traditional non-launched coaster that went over 120mph. It would cost a lot, take up a lot of space, and take a long time to get up the first lift hill, but an elevator lift would reduce the time it takes to get up the hill and the space required to build it.

PKI is owned by Viacom which means all of their profits and the profits of every other Paramount Park goes directly to Viacom. At the beginning of each year Viacom gives a certain amount of money out of their budget to the Paramount Parks division of the company. Paramount Parks then divides the money between each of their parks. PKI does not pay to use the Viacom name they have it because of the fact that they are owned by Viacom. I believe Viacom would pay a lot of money to keep any of their parks afloat.

As for IoA being sold because of money problems that is partly true and partly not. Vivendi Universal Entertainment the company that owns all of the Universal Parks was recently bought out by NBC (who in turn is owned by GE) because of money problems. NBC has stated that they do not want to be involved in the Theme Park industry, in part because of the fact that the ownership structure of the parks is very convoluted. Vivendi doesn't own all of the theme parks they are involved in a 50/50 partnership with Blackstone Group for the two Orlando parks and they license their name for the two overseas parks (meaning they don't own any of those parks at all).The only park that they own all of is Universal Hollywood. GE emphasizes clean ownership and power structure and they do not want to get involved with the universal parks as they are now. However, the parks are not being sold because of money loss. In fact they are second only to the Disney theme parks in terms of attendance and the attendance of IoA went up 10% from last year. If you want to check my facts go ahead. Here's the link http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2003-0...09-21-nbc_x.htm

I'm shocked that the USA Today article did not mention all the cuts that IoA have made over the past year. Like all the employees have to take out their own garbage from the front office etc.

As far as the coaster is concerned, it is possible to build a non-launched coaster with a lift hill of at least 420 ft. that did have a descent of 120 mph, but the real question is why would you want to make it cost more (materials,labor) and take up more space.

Viacom gets a certain percentage of PKI's profits, not all of them. In any business you are not going to take money from one entity and give it to another like you suggested. Hypothetically if PKI had $1000 in profits and PKD had $500, Viacom is not going to give each park $750. That would not be fair to PKI, PKD would be getting more money at PKI's expense. Viacom takes, say 10% of every park's profits, and the individual park will keep the rest for park improvments. Where the advantage of having a parent company like Viacom is; PKI could "borrow" money for a ride that costs a substancial amount and the park would pay Viacom back. Even at the parks website, it states that Paramount Parks LLC. is an affiliate of Viacom.

who says that the lift hill would have to be over 420? We all know that pki's land is not flat. Couldnt they build a coaster, with a hill that goes down into a valley, perhaps underground... maybe a 250 ft lift, with a 450 ft drop? sure 200 feet underground may be a bit un-realistic, and i dont know if pki has that much of an elevation change... but its just a thought. For a coaster to reach over 120, it just has to drop over 420.... it doesnt have to go up 420... am i right? :cowboy:

Yes you are right. I don't know the equation behind it but, TTD reaches a height of 420ft. and goes approximatly 30 mph over the top hat, and then reaches 120 mph on it's descent. What I don't know how to figure out is how the angle affects the descent (which is 90 degrees).

If PKI could find a large gully of some type, like how Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood is designed, that would solve the height problem.

As a guess I would have to say it wouldnt have to be 420 ft high to acheive 120 mph.

Steel Dragon is 318 ft high and it goes 95 mph

Millenium is 300 ft drop and goes 93 mph

I'm sure their is somekind of formula for figuring this out.

I guess the angle of decent would have something to do with it.

Im sure 125 mph could be acheived with a lift height of 350 with a drop height of about 400 ft maybe a 50 ft ravine or tunnel could be the answer.

And yes the Steel Phantom/Phantoms Revenges lift hill is only 160 ft with a first drop of 155 ft.But the second drop is 228 ft into a ravine and the angle is quite steep(You can feel it when you first start down that the train is experiencing that weightlessness,kinda like its off the top running wheels ands relying on the up-stop wheels below the track) im guessing it to be about an 80 degree angle.It starts the second drop already moving(guessing about 15 mph) unlike being droped off of a lift hill from like 3 mph.So I'm guessing that has to factor into why it acheives the speed it does 85mph as opossed to starting from 3 mph off the lift.So there is another possibility for them to acheive 120 mph plus without a large lift.

Who knows maybe we will have to wait and see what they do.I'm sure whatever they do it will be great.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm new to this board, so hello to all. Anyway, I highly doubt that anyone, including PKI, will build another tallest and fastest coaster for some time. The return on investment has to justify spending that kind of money. Like someone stated before, TTD cost something like $25 mill and to go higher and faster would be considerably more expensive. In my opinion, TTD is an awesome coaster and even though it doesn't have a lift hill in the traditional sense, it does deserve the title of tallest and fastest. Face it folks, this is a new generation of coasters we are seeing these days and new designs and technologies are allowing for more different and intense rides. Many would argue that Face/Off and Wicked Twister are not truly roller coasters because there's no lift hill in the traditional sense. We should all be glad that companies like B&M and Intamin are pushing the envelope with these new extreme rides. Otherwise, you're limiting yourself as to what these coasters can do. Just think, if no one had come up with the reverse inclined launch, LIM launched, standing, floorless, flying, would there be as many coasters out there as there are now? I wouldn't think so. And, remember this, someone could say the same about steel coasters. They do have the lift hill, but someone had to have the foresight to come up with bending steel and totally changing the way that coasters were thought to be made. Without innovations, there would not be nearly as many coasters today if everyone just stuck to the basic wood coaster, no inversions, no launches, no reverse incline or LIM launches. There would be no Flight of Fear, No Face/Off, No Son of Beast, No King Kobra, No Vortex. The list goes on. All you would have is The Beast and The Racers. How boring would that be?

Well if we do get a coaster in 2005 lets just hope we get a record breaker like 450 feet with more createtivity than TTD. TTD is just a waste of space on ground and in air and a 25 million dollar investment. So we will have to wait till 2005 for a record breaker. At least a new flat :chef:

Kings Island will never build a record breaker. Correct me if im wrong but the last rollercoaster we had that was the tallest and fastest of both steel and wood, not only wood, was Vortex. Like said PKI is not in the coaster race, but PKI is overdue for a nice sized coaster. As for TTD being a waste of space, to whoever says this must not of rode it. This ride may be only 15 seconds, but the rush you get from the fifteen seconds of TTD is the greatest ever, no ride even if it was 10 minutes long would be able to compare. It si the greatest fifteen seconds ever. If you think it is horrible adn just boring becuase it is just launch, top hat, and spiral to breaks, tell me what else could they of done that would make the ride interesting aftert the first fifteen seconds? Nothing, after the first fifteen seconds of the ride you will have all you will need, anything after that 420 foot twisting vertical hill would just seem plain boring.

You kind of missed my point in the last sentence specialk141. I was not saying that The Beast and Racers are boring. I was saying that if those were the only kinds of coasters around, that would be boring. I happen to like the new innovations coming about. I would like to see a hypercoaster installed at PKI. I think that is what is truly missing. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing an inverted, flying or floorless either.

I'm looking forward to any coaster the park adds. Why? Because the park hasn't added a coaster since 2001!!! It will be a three-year drought without a coaster when the park opens next year. It already seems like a three-year drought wihout a new coaster to me since I haven't even ridden RRR. I just think that the park needs to add a coaster in 2005 to please us enthusiasts. I don't hink that it is a need of the park, but it would be nice of them to do it. Also, I do have faith in them to build a record breaker. If you look back in the recent years, every coaster PKI has put in has been some kind of record breaker. So if we pray long and hard, we might just get the Giga we all dream about!

• 5 weeks later...

Well I haven't rode TTD nor do I think I will ever stand in line for 3 plus hours to ride any ride.Especially a ride thats 15 seconds! I never considered Superman at SFMM the tallest because of the non-complete circuit thing.And I still son't conside TTD the tallest because... Well its only 15 sec.long.and its a one trick poney.

In my own record book I still consider Steel Dragon as the tallest at 318 ft. and if I could go anywhere to ride a coaster it would be that one before any other!

Actually, it's a three trick pony. 1, the speed. 2, the height. 3, the vertical twist on the way down. It really doesn't matter about anyone's personal record books, because they are not internationally recognized like Guiness, which is the only record book that counts. Why does everyone bad mouth TTD when XCelerator is basically the same ride, just smaller and slightly longer? I think rocket coasters are excellent and apparently so does the general public. Otherwise, Intamin wouldn't be building its third in three years at Hershey Park.

• 1 year later...
A friend told me that Kings Island was building a new coaster in 05. This Coaster is going to be made by intamin the same company that made MF and TTD. The Plans for The ride is to go behind SOB and be The Tallest and Fastest rollercoaster in the world. My friend dad knows a guy that worked on the steel for TTD. I hope this is true.

Isn't it funny how people create these crazy rumors that we now know are fake. I was just looking at old topics and found this one. look at all the things that were said were going to happen, did they!?