Something Old Becomes New Again at Kings Island: Red Racer vs. Blue Racer, Season Pass Processing, 2008 Entertainment Lineup, Halloween Haunt & More

Well, far more unbiased than Ryan seems to be lately! :)

Overhyped statements lead to disappointment, as Paramount Parks marketing at Kings Island never seemed to learn. Remember how the parking lot was going to be redone to resemble the Universal of the Midwest? Or how Racer was going to be returned to 1972 condition? Or the urethane wheels and SunCor wood for Son of Beast? Or the incredible pre-publicity for Italian Job? And yes, this was under Paramount.

Yes, but I don't think that the "Uber Hype" blame can be placed on Ryan. He's passing on and imparting information gathered by the park. Now granted, these press releases are created more for the actual press than they are for enthusiasts, but I am not sure I see the need for a Press Release on items that have been common knowledge for months.

Overhyped statements lead to disappointment, as Paramount Parks marketing at Kings Island never seemed to learn. Remember how the parking lot was going to be redone to resemble the Universal of the Midwest? Or how Racer was going to be returned to 1972 condition? Or the urethane wheels and SunCor wood for Son of Beast? Or the incredible pre-publicity for Italian Job? And yes, this was under Paramount.

Exactly what should they have said then?

You first mention that there would be no reason that the park should even have a press release about the 2008 status for Racer. Now when they do, it is considered overhype? Just because they mention that it will be running better than ever?

The park is not even open yet for 2008, but there is no way possible that the ride actually may be running better? And you know this how?

SoB ran better last year than it ever has. Sure, the ride is still terrible, but it is still better. Why can't the same result happen now?

It's not just that it's flipped around, they also did extensive retracking on it. Word from under the black hat is that it's running better than it ever has!

Did they also retrack the north side because that side was always rough to me. I didn't think they needed to retrack the south side. It was always the smoothest side to me and that is why I loved recaR.

At least it was just the sides of the tunnel...I went to Six Flags St. Louis a couple summers ago, and you quickly learned handrails were not your friends...I don't think they've ever cleaned them, it was really bad in the queue lines. On a pertinent note, I would like to see The Racers painted in their original red, white and blue, I think that would negate the bad feelings about the turnaround for me at least.

Yes, but I don't think that the "Uber Hype" blame can be placed on Ryan. He's passing on and imparting information gathered by the park. Now granted, these press releases are created more for the actual press than they are for enthusiasts, but I am not sure I see the need for a Press Release on items that have been common knowledge for months.

Allow me to rephrase myself: I heard that it's running better than it has in many years, at least since the individual lap bars were put in. "Better than ever" was meant to be a figure of speech, not literally mean that it's running better now than it was in 1972. This info is coming from the many members of maintenance who rode it yesterday, not from Don... he hasn't gotten to ride yet.

Now how am I biased? I got a press release and rewrote it to be in line with how we do the front page on KIC. That's about it. I both love and hate some of the things that Cedar Fair does, but when it comes down to it, if I focused on the negatives on this site, I wouldn't be very fun now would I?

I knew this was coming, but I am disappointed. And this is the first time that I have ever disagreed with you, Terpy, when you said:

And I think a lot of guests will never even notice...

I think a lot of guests will notice. With the millions(?) of rides that recaR receives each year, let alone it's entire existence, to claim that a lot of guests will never notice does not make any sense to me. I do not, however, think that a lot of guests will actually take the time to file a formal complaint with the park, not that that would do anything anyway, the decision has been made.

One thing I find interesting is that on local news reports, as well as various other online sources, the reason for turning recaR around is to "make it consistant with other Cedar Fair parks". What a line of bologna. Is this the same reason for all the parks, ie Rebel Yell at KD and Thunder Road at Carowinds? If all the twin coasters being changed this year have the same reason, then they were consistant to begin with!!! The only twin coaster in the CF chain to not follow this would be Gemini at CP. But of course, why change a coaster at their flagship park to follow the example of the majority of the other twin coasters in the chain? It comes down to money. I've said it before and I'll say it again here... don't expect Racer to live up to it's name and actually race every day, despite the claim that they are "reigniting the rivalry between the Red Racer vs. the Blue Racer, both sides running forward, in a head-to-head competition to the finish line". It may start the season that way, but come mid- to end of season, I expect only one side to be open as a labor/maintenance savings on slower days. Just look at Gemini, a coaster that I personally feel is far inferior to Racer (and before I get any responses labelling me, I'm not just a KI fan who thinks all KI rides are better than CP's. I happily list MF as my favorite coaster anywhere, and I have a great appreciation for all the others there...except for Mean Streak). But I have been to CP many times where Gemini has only run one side, only once have I been there with both sides running, as I always tended to go on the lower attendance days during the middle of the week. Expect Racer, Rebel Yell and Thunder Road to soon be consistant with Gemini in this aspect too. Running one side of Racer would not let it live up to it's name and potential.

I have been riding Racer since the '70's (my mom even rode while pregnant with me in 1972... the restrictions were a lot looser then, and that probably explains a lot about me :lol: ), so I do remember when both sides went forward, and how excited I was when it was turned backwards. It was my second coaster going backwards on, the first being Demon. I just wish that I had known about this before the park closed for the 2007 season so I could ride recaR one last time. Much like Geauga Lake fans wish they would have known about their home park closing so they could get their last rides in. And don't hate me because I'm comparing a coaster's change in direction to an entire park closing. I will not be able to, at least in the forseeable future, enjoy the experience of recaR again, much like how many GL lovers will miss the experience that was Geauga Lake. I'm sensing a pattern with CF...

As far as the barrier in the station being removed... I could be wrong, but wasn't it always there to begin with? I don't remember it ever not being there, but I could be wrong.

As far as the barrier in the station being removed... I could be wrong, but wasn't it always there to begin with? I don't remember it ever not being there, but I could be wrong.

Yeah I think it has been I know it was around in 1978.

What a way to ruined a perfectly good ride. You know I seen a quote on a forum not to long ago and it was

"Cedar Fair has a tendaceny to fix something that isn't broke".

Thats what they to The Racers,and its ashamed they had to do this.

~Forever Backwards~ It will NOT be the same ride.

What a way to ruined a perfectly good ride. You know I seen a quote on a forum not to long ago and it was

"Cedar Fair has a tendaceny to fix something that isn't broke".

Thats what they to The Racers,and its ashamed they had to do this.

~Forever Backwards~ It will NOT be the same ride.

Ruin a perfectly good ride?

While I may not completely agree with removing the choice of going forward ot backward, I would never say that the ride was ruined.

Racer was never designed to have one train go backwards. And from 1972 to 1981 it actually ran with both trains going forward. Changing one of the trains was nothing more than a gimmick. Sure it worked for 26 years, but there are many people, including yourself, that have never experienced Racer actually racing the way it was intended to be.

Nothing was ruined. Not even close.

^That's really true. If anything they're restoring it. I loved it backwards, it was my first coaster in fact. But I've never been able to actually race. I look at it as a new experience.

Every ending is a new beginning.

^That's really true. If anything they're restoring it. I loved it backwards, it was my first coaster in fact. But I've never been able to actually race. I look at it as a new experience.

Every ending is a new beginning.

It's arguable how often or even if The Racer will ever really race.

to be honest, i visited CP 5-6 times last year, and each time the Gemini was racing two trains....unfortunately, i have not been to CP on a slow day (is it ever slow like KI can be or am I just unlucky on picking the day?), so that may have something to do with it....

to be honest, i visited CP 5-6 times last year, and each time the Gemini was racing two trains....unfortunately, i have not been to CP on a slow day (is it ever slow like KI can be or am I just unlucky on picking the day?), so that may have something to do with it....

I have been to CP during the week, early in the season, late in the season, and even on a holiday. And, the only day that I have been and it was slow was last August when it dropped to around 40 degrees and was pouring down rain most of the day.

^Paramount is a company who makes movies. They are not an amusement park buisness. Cedar Fair is. Paramount used the theme parks as advertising, Cedar Fair is for real. I bet they will try MUCH harder to explain why it's called The Racer.

Ruin a perfectly good ride?

While I may not completely agree with removing the choice of going forward ot backward, I would never say that the ride was ruined.

Racer was never designed to have one train go backwards. And from 1972 to 1981 it actually ran with both trains going forward. Changing one of the trains was nothing more than a gimmick. Sure it worked for 26 years, but there are many people, including yourself, that have never experienced Racer actually racing the way it was intended to be.

Nothing was ruined. Not even close.

Well said Brown. I have never gotten a chance to ride it forward, and I look forward to the new experience.

I have been to CP during the week, early in the season, late in the season, and even on a holiday. And, the only day that I have been and it was slow was last August when it dropped to around 40 degrees and was pouring down rain most of the day.

I'm glad it wasn't only me then...i think i may have been there that day in August...I know it was during the summer....and it rained pretty much from open till afternoon...i sat in my car with my girlfriend as we watched a whole bunch of people leave (i kept pulling my car closer and closer to the front gates)...that was the slowest i had ever seen it...but every other day i visited was crowded....where when i think of KI i can only think of 1-2 visits last year that were as busy as CP....

I don't comment much, but I thought I would on this topic. I admit I didn't like the idea of elminating the backward trains at first, but now I'm cool with it. As I recall the main reason they started running one side backward was because The Bat was malfunctioning so much. They wanted to give guests something extra from an existing ride.

Since The Racer is now a landmark coaster, it only seems appropriate that it be restored to its former glory. Besides, it's called RACER. It doesn't really live up to its name if it doesn't actually race. So for these reasons I think it will be alright. Now, if they really want to restore it right, they should repaint the track to its original colors and put the flood lights back to illuminate the superstructure. Another nice touch would be to post facts, tidbits, and history of the ride in the queue lines.

For everyone who hates this change, I feel for you. Many of us have a long history of going to Kings Island so we have a sentental attachment to it. Naturally, it's not easy to accept some changes. Frankly there are some changes to the park from years past that I still don't like. But none of us are in charge of running Kings Island. Let's just trust that management knows what they're doing...for the most part.

• Like 1

CP has busy and not so busy days, Ive been lucky to be there on two d-e-a-d days, both in October:

October 03 Sundays of Halloweekends: TTD: 10 min, MF: 5 min, every other ride in the park, walk on

Opening Fri Night of Halloweekends 07: Maverick had a full queue, and Frontiertown was packed, but every other ride has under 10 min wait (yes TTD, MF, Raptor and all the haunts included.)

But for when CP is crowded there is a tried and true method to avoid the 2 hr waits: Use your Platinum Pass to get ERT, Drive to Soak City Lot, on the way check if Maverick is testing, if it is thats spot number one, if it isnt skip it because it wont open until at least 30 min after ERT opening. Then go to MF, ride as much as possible until 15 min prior to opening, go to TTD ride that. Youve just done 2 (or hopefully 3) of the 2 + hour waits, if Maverick didnt open on time, youre stuck with a 2 hour line, but if it did then all you have left is Raptor. Raptor, without fail, has 1.25-1.5 hr waits in the early afternoon (1-4) so be sure to ride that one then, besides that no other ride should have a 2 hour wait unless you are there on a day when its packed.

With the lights, I would like to see more lights on rides everywhere, not just The Racers. I think alot of the coasters would look amazing with more than just the running lights up the lifts...all except for The Beast of course. Take Flight Deck (man that's weird) for example, you could light up the breaks at the end of the ride like an aircraft carrier.