Something Old Becomes New Again at Kings Island: Red Racer vs. Blue Racer, Season Pass Processing, 2008 Entertainment Lineup, Halloween Haunt & More

I think many people will be supprised at how smooth the Red Racer is now. I sure was! The red train in the picture quoted above is missing the "Red Racer" logo.. Those are pretty sweet. The seat belts are a little different, the buckle is now in the ceter, and there is a loop that ride associates are now required to check physically, instead of visually like last year. The station still has the Red / Blue storage bins, but thats not a big deal at all. The park opens one week from today... Hope to see everyone there!

I was also pretty upset when I heard that Racer was going to run both sides forward. I loved riding it backwards, it was something different than every other coaster. I also don't really care one way or another if they race all season or not. You're going to be on the same ride whether or not the people are racing beside you. Of course, I do think it will be fun when they race, but who really cares if by mid season they stop racing or not? The point is....the only reason I hated riding it forwards(the 2 or 3 times I tried it) was because of how rough it was. Don't get me wrong, I love riding The Beast and SoB on those days when it feels like the car is going to fly right off the track and I'm bouncing out of my seat....but the few times I rode forwards I felt like my spine was cracked in half..lol. But now that they re-vamped the whole track, I bet riding forward will be just as fun(and smooth) as backward, you'll just be able to see everything better! So while I was disappointed at first(and still am just a little) I still think we will all still enjoy the ride just the same as we always did....isn't it all about the lovely airtime anyway?? ;)

So yeah, backwards will be GREATLY missed by a lot of people I'm sure, but who knows...maybe we'll all love the new(old) way better. Can't knock it til we try it.

~Ash

I seriously think it's crazy that they'd change The Racer. Cedar Fair seriously needs to stop changing everything. They're too ... intense about everything. We know that the right one is shorter, so it will always "win" in a sense. I also know from my experience working there, the workers on that ride really don't want to have to deal with actually racing them again. I think this is a really stupid decision on Cedar Fair's part. I WANT MY PARAMOUNT BACK!

I seriously think it's crazy that they'd change The Racer. Cedar Fair seriously needs to stop changing everything. They're too ... intense about everything. We know that the right one is shorter, so it will always "win" in a sense. I also know from my experience working there, the workers on that ride really don't want to have to deal with actually racing them again. I think this is a really stupid decision on Cedar Fair's part. I WANT MY PARAMOUNT BACK!

you do know if Cedar Fair didn't buy Kings Island there wouldn't be a Firehawk or a Flight of Fear.

you do know if Cedar Fair didn't buy Kings Island there wouldn't be a Firehawk or a Flight of Fear.

And the park would have continued to deteriorate.

Everone does owe a debt of gratitude to CF for the care that they have at least shown to this point.

Though there do seem to be some gripes, it certainly appears that CF has taken more time with the parks than Paramount had in years.

I think it was stupid when they turned it backwards in the first place years ago! I appaud CF for taking it back to it's roots. Take me home baby!

Guest kwindshawne
I am not exaggerating when I say that at least the Red Racer is 10 times smoother than it was last year. It makes the ride MUCH more fun, and IMO makes the airtime more noticeable.

I will have to agree. My leg was pinned to the seat by the restraint which worried me, but because it was so smooth, it was not a problem. Very, very enjoyable.

Flight of Fear was there long before Cedar Fair came into the picture. Working at the park has brought a lot of insight to the ways of Cedar Fair as well. When Paramount owned the park, it was more... entertaining for employees as welll. I just think that Cedar Fair could lighten up a little bit, that's all.

Flight of Fear was there long before Cedar Fair came into the picture. Working at the park has brought a lot of insight to the ways of Cedar Fair as well. When Paramount owned the park, it was more... entertaining for employees as welll. I just think that Cedar Fair could lighten up a little bit, that's all.

Brianna, Yes, FoF was there before CF bought the park. But what coaster_junky was referring to about no more FoF was the fact that before the sale to CF, Paramount was planning on removing FoF to another park, hence no more FoF at KI. Hope this clears up the confusion.

I agree that The Racer was running 10 times better yesterday! It's so smooth! Although I do have to admit I miss it running backward! But at least I gave it a shot. I probably won't ride it as much as I used to but it's still a fun ride! They were racing all day too! Except for one time...right before we got on....they let the red one go while the blue one was still in the station. Maybe somebody was stuck or something. But other than that, races all day long. I do have to say that it didn't crack my spine in half this time..lol!

~Ash

Brianna, Yes, FoF was there before CF bought the park. But what coaster_junky was referring to about no more FoF was the fact that before the sale to CF, Paramount was planning on removing FoF to another park, hence no more FoF at KI. Hope this clears up the confusion.

It was actually CBS who planned on selling the ride.

While in line i heard a lot of people complaining about there not being a backwards racer anymore. In fact one of my friends said that they will be pushing for people to boycot the red racer side to make them turn it around. I am up for it, I mean I can get the same ride experince on the blue side. Red side is no fun, it seemed to go faster then it did when it was backwards.

• 7 years later...