Your reaction to the Racer news

italianchef

It was just announced today on KICentral that the rumor is true, both coasters of The Racer will go forwards as they did back in 1972.

How does this make you feel?

I personally endorse the decision. I'm Italian Chef and I approve this message.

* Paid for by Friends of Italian Chef.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im indifferent. I rode both, but my favorite of the two was what ever one was smoother that day (it changed, a lot.) As to which side I would pick, it was easy, the one with the smallest line. So as long as The Racer lives up to its name (thankfully CF has a good rep with this, just look at Gemini) I'm ok with the decision.

Heres the trick about Gemini, it races everyday, however it will not race until around 11-11:30 and will stop racing when the line no longer supports it (usually 8:30-9:00.) During the first two and last two hours of the day there is no reason for you to ride Gemini, thats prime time for MF, TTD, Maverick and Magnum.

Complete and total Devastation, my favorite wooden coaster of all time is no more :(

There was nothing like riding in the back seat of the backwards racer

Also the 1st adult coaster I ever rode

Now I know how my mom feels as she has lamented over the loss of her Shooting Star from Coney all these years

Oh, really?

If I had a dollar for every time I have seen only one side running on Gemini, I could buy a season pass to most any Six Flags park....

Yeah, well, if you scraped up enough change from your couch, you could probably afford a SF season pass. :lol:

I will miss the bacwards Racer. I may just skip it this year.

Oh, really?

If I had a dollar for every time I have seen only one side running on Gemini, I could buy a season pass to most any Six Flags park....

Sure Gemini may not always race early in the day, but there is no reason to. When the crowds do pick-up both sides do operate.

Most of the time they have to block off the middle part of the train operating and add the sandbags so the train keeps moving through the last turn around on the East end. If they don't do that the train will stop.

If they have to block off parts of a train, what sense does it make to have two trains operating?

I don't think you can really compare The Racer to Gemini, specifically because even as rough as Racer can be, it's still a fun ride. Where as Gemini.....well....there are just better things to ride at that park...

...like Mean Streak! :)

-Gordon, who is being quite serious.

Front seat of Mean Streak, honestly, I just enjoy it. Not to sound too much like an Acer, I just really like wooden coasters and really like the design of Mean Streak, it's not the most exciting ride but I do enjoy the visuals and the layout.

Gemini, I don't know, I just never much cared for it. It's jerky, that last helix isn't that great. I just find it pretty boring.

I have a weird taste in coasters.

As for reaction to The Racers. Personally, I feel pretty indifferent about the situation. We can speculate all we want about the reasons it was done and such, the point is, this is what's being done and I'm sure the ride will be great. As Mr. Helbig from the park so nicely contributed some photos:

Racer1.jpg

You can see that a lot of track work has been done. I think its safe to say that The Racer's will be running great this year. The only thing I'm really speculating about is what will the logos on the front of the trains look like since there was nothing last season due to the removal of the "Paramount" name.

The only thing I'm really speculating about is what will the logos on the front of the trains look like since there was nothing last season due to the removal of the "Paramount" name.

I really wouldn't call it weird, just different.

Just like I have never been a real big fan of Magnum. I really can't say why, I am just not crazy about it like some people are. Now I am crazy for MF, Beast, and Apollo's Chariot at BGE. Ironically enough, may people don't care for them at all.

As far as the logos for Racer, it would be great to see the old logo on them. If CF did not make the decison to actually put the old style back on, I would be disappointed only because of the press release. If they want to go back to the way Racer used to be, do it the right way and go all out. Don't give a half-a$$ed effort.

Where is the selection that you pick for "Amazed That The Park Took So Long To Announce Something Everyone Already Knew"

As far as the logos for Racer, it would be great to see the old logo on them. If CF did not make the decison to actually put the old style back on, I would be disappointed only because of the press release. If they want to go back to the way Racer used to be, do it the right way and go all out. Don't give a half-a$$ed effort.

I would agree. Unless they were really willing to go back to old style Racer, the press info is just dated hype. Let's see the coaster back to Red, White and Blue. The park really has to get a grasp that new media does not allow them to play games with publicizing decisions made months earlier.

Guest kwindshawne
Front seat of Mean Streak, honestly, I just enjoy it. Not to sound too much like an Acer, I just really like wooden coasters and really like the design of Mean Streak, it's not the most exciting ride but I do enjoy the visuals and the layout.

Gemini, I don't know, I just never much cared for it. It's jerky, that last helix isn't that great. I just find it pretty boring.

As for reaction to The Racers. Personally, I feel pretty indifferent about the situation. We can speculate all we want about the reasons it was done and such, the point is, this is what's being done and I'm sure the ride will be great. As Mr. Helbig from the park so nicely contributed some photos:

Racer1.jpg

You can see that a lot of track work has been done. I think its safe to say that The Racer's will be running great this year. The only thing I'm really speculating about is what will the logos on the front of the trains look like since there was nothing last season due to the removal of the "Paramount" name.

I am glad they retracked it. I had avoided racer most of last year just because my back could not take that beating anymore.

Glad to see retrack...not so sure about the backward elimination. recaR gives such a good ride, I haven't ridden forwards in years.

Funny, if any non-enthusiast saw this picture, they'd probably question the motive of the photographer.

The joys of being a coasternerd.

I really could care less which way it runs because i am going to ride it and have a blast either way it goes. But i do like the fact that they are turning one side around forwards due to the fact that most people have never ridden it forwards nor were they around when it ran forwards so i guess Nostalgia plaus a big part in it to.

I personally like the change. This is the way it was intended to be and now it can actually race.

The retrack will be nice, I'm not too fond of the look of fresh wood on an old coaster but the ride is what really matters.

I would like to see the old logos return as well. Might as well go all the way.

I'm really disappointed. Several times I have ridden one direction and gotten back on and ridden the other direction. I always enjoyed the backwards train more. I am truly saddened to read that they are putting it back.

I don't really think "racing" has anything to do with it. It was still raced periodically even backward against forward. It was great! I remember the days of forward racing. It was really a lot of fun when they still had the semi-manual controls for the operators. Now, with the computer controls it just doesn't have that sense of urgency in releasing the brakes. The "human" element added a lot to racing.