A Peek at Riverbend`s New Venue

CoastersRZ

The Cincinnati Enquirer today had an article discussing the new National City Pavilion at Riverbend Music Center.

Read the article here

The National City Pavilion sits on the northwest corner of the Riverbend property, and adjacent to the Dodgems from Coney Island. The Cincinnati firm GBBN Architects were the architects of record for the new multi-million pavilion.

I myself was expecting to see pictures accompanying the article as well, when I found the headline at lunch today. I can say, that as of two weeks ago, there wasn`t much to see.

I am not a big fan of the building, as it is completely out of scale, and literally turns its back to Coney. That can somewhat be seen in this picture. That picture doesn`t make it seem that large, but if you venture over to the Dodgems/LaRosa`s at Coney this year, that stage building literally is a dominating structure.

Here's a question -- how well can you see the stage in Riverbend from the lawn? 'Cause I was considering going to the Rush show there this summer, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get seats under the roof. But if you can't see the stage all that well from the lawn (especially since it looks like the roof dips pretty low), I'm not sure if it'll be worth it... <_<

I`ve never actually been to a concert at Riverbend. However, the roof does not obstruct sight lines of the stage from the lawn seats. Obviously, the lawn seats are cheaper then the Pavilion seats, because you are farther away from the stage. (The same reason why sports tickets are cheaper the closer to the nose bleed sections you get.)

No, the roof does not obstruct but the crappy "Skyline Chili Vision" projectors with their horrible picture quality do. DiSab, if you're going to a concert at Riverbend trust me, it is so worth it to spend the money and get real seats. The lawn is filled with drunks and horrible views of the concert.

No, the roof does not obstruct but the crappy "Skyline Chili Vision" projectors with their horrible picture quality do. DiSab, if you're going to a concert at Riverbend trust me, it is so worth it to spend the money and get real seats. The lawn is filled with drunks and horrible views of the concert.

If it's a band you like, go for the pavilion. There really isn't a bad seat in the house. However if you're going just to go, go with the lawn. It's cheaper and is more of a field party. I disagree that the view of the stage is really that bad. There are upright supports that impede the view of the stage as well as those wonderful Chili Vision screens, but other than that you can see pretty well.

I used to work at Riverbend and I can say that the lawn isn't quite the best place to work, let alone enjoy a concert. If you like the act enough, get seats under the pavilion. Not only would you be dry if it were to rain, but the view isn't as impeded.

The new pavillion makes me think that it would be used more for intimate performances, including CSO's summer series. I think it'll be interesting to see who books a gig there when it's all said and done.

Well, I`ve heard that they are going to release the preliminary schedule of performances at the National City Pavilion tomorrow. So we should see what is in store then. Additionally, if National City ends up being sold (as has been speculated in numerous news articles), the Pavilion may get a new name sooner rather than later.

I have been to a lot of concerts there. Even with the lawn seats they were not so bad, but the house seats rawked! The Thompson Twins and Berlin was one of the best concerts I have ever been too.

Unless Miley Cyrus comes to Timberwolf this year. Dang it my physic crap is acting up this morning its way too early/

DiSab,

Go for the lawn unless you absolutely want to see the band up close. The tickets are cheaper and you are free to move around as much as you want. Take a Poncho just in case it rains. Believe me, there are just as many drunks in the pavilion as there are in the lawn. One more thing, I saw Rush from the lawn last year and it was awesome. We could hear with no problems at all

coneyrat

I have been to a lot of concerts there. Even with the lawn seats they were not so bad, but the house seats rawked! The Thompson Twins and Berlin was one of the best concerts I have ever been too.

Unless Miley Cyrus comes to Timberwolf this year. Dang it my physic crap is acting up this morning its way too early/

It must be that crystal ball!