National City Pavilion Lineup Announced

CoastersRZ

The lineup for this summer`s inaugural season at the National City Pavilion has been announced.

From Cincinnati.com

2008 National City Pavilion at Riverbend Schedule (more shows will be added)

May 25 Sheryl Crow with special guest Jason Mraz

June 6 The Moody Blues

June 10 The Raconteurs with special guest The Black Lips

June 26 Stevie Nicks

June 27 Aly & AJ

July 13 Steely Dan

July 21 Weird Al Yankovic

Aug 1 CSO Performs The Music of Led Zeppelin

Aug 6 Peter Frampton

Aug 7 Merle Haggard

Aug 11 Huey Lewis & The News

Aug 20 George Thorogood & The Destroyers with special guest Buddy Guy

Aug 12 O.A.R. with special guest Ozomatli

Wow Weird Al there, hasn't he come to Kings Island the past few summers? I remember he came last year. Ally and AJ were also former performers he used to come through Timberwolf as well as many other Disney Channel performers. Makes me wonder if Timberwolf will only be home to Spirit Song this year.

And I know where I'll be June 6th! I used to see Moody Blues at Timberwolf every year. They eventually made the move to Riverbend, but haven't been through town in quite awhile. Who knows when (or if) they'll tour again... that's the problem with liking all these classic rock bands. I was so glad when Genesis went on tour this past year, I finally got to see them. Now my only must see band left is Pink Floyd, who knows if that will ever happen.

I was worried that the National City Pavilion would be the end of Timberwolf, especially with Weird Al and Aly & AJ, two recent former Timberwolf acts, making the move there. But with National City only being a 4,100 seater, compared to Timberwolf's 9,800 seats, this may not be the end of the 'wolf yet. We'll have to wait and see if CF wants to be in the concert business, which in this market is tough with all the different venues in the area.

Do you guys see what I meant in my other post about how it will draw many more acts to Cincinnati? Strike out the Pops from Riverbend's main venue and this will probably surpass their lineup. Plus you'll have the big acts in the main venue.

I wonder if this stage will be set up in a way in which larger acts could use pryo like at USBA and Riverbend.

No. Both venues will NOT be used at the same time, typically. The overall capacity of Riverbend is not increasing, but will remain the same. Coney`s parking lots are used for Riverbend parking, and have not increased in size. As you mentioned, the noise could compete between the two venues.

However, there might be some exceptions to this, like for the Warped Tour that has smaller acts. They would utilize both Pavilions. However, the overall capacity for such concerts would remain the same. The overall capacity is 20,000 visitors. So the total crowd that would be split between both venues would be 20,000.

Building a smaller venue like the National City Pavilion is a smart move to capture smaller shows, with there being fewer big acts to fill the main Corbett Pavilion at Riverbend.

In fact, Germain Amphitheater near Columbus is for sale, supposedly having hosted its last concert (Toby Keith) last fall, because there are fewer large acts touring. Germain's demise is also due to the presence of big indoor year-round venues like Nationwide Arena and Schottenstein Center, the smaller Lifestyle Communities Pavilion, and now Crew Stadium (designed for soccer) now having a permanent stage. Other large amphiteaters are facing the same fate, such as the one near Indianapolis, due to rising land values, less dates, and competition from smaller and larger multipurpose venues.

I like how Cincinnati has a lot of venues but none of them are very modern or that great.......for music at least. Hopefully the new National City Pavillion is a step in the right direction.

I've always liked shows at TimberWolf and Riverbend.

I've been to both, and imho neither are really that great. Riverbend is good if you're under the pavilion roof and have a good seat. However my previous experiences with the lawn have been rather disturbing, from the way there was practically no one stepping in to stop the drug use in most cases, to the fights that broke out. Granted that just may have been the crowd, but I've seen Jimmy Buffet and Chicago at Riverbend, some middle aged white folks can be just as immature as teenagers at Riverbend. Timberwolf in all honesty just has terrible, terrible seating. The rows are tiered horribly and it is very hard to see over the person in front of you. For my sisters birthday (I have two whose birthdays are a month apart, born different years) and we went "as a family" to see Aaron Carter. I couldn't believe how many adults were screaming at each other because everyone was trying to hold their kids up to see the concert since they couldn't see ahead of them. We ended up having to go to the back of the venue and watch from a ramp that they store strollers and wheelchairs on.

If i had to see a large concert in Cincinnati I would prefer to see it at the U.S. Bank Arena.

<G>

Did ya know when TimberWolf opened that it did not have concrete but had mulch throughout the entire venue?

That was changed very, very, very fast.

The mulch just turned into a giant mess and was impossible to clean up after.

I've seen dozens of shows at TimberWolf and probably worked even more of them. Never had an issue with sight lines there. Everywhere seemed to be a good seat. Maybe people have less manners now than when I was last there?

I've only sat in the Pavillion at Riverbend and have always had a great experience. The only thing that sucks about Riverbend as it takes as long to get out of the parking lot as any show that goes on.

Makes me wonder if the mulch was intended to be a temporary thing. As in, the venue wasn't ready for the first couple of acts.

As far as "big acts" rolling through towns, that's a matter of markets. If you look at Riverbend's lineup, it because a lot more evident:

Tim McGraw with special guests Jason Aldean & Halfway to Hazard

Wednesday - May 21, 2008 - 7:30PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James Taylor

Wednesday - June 11, 2008 - 8:00PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicago & The Doobie Brothers

Tuesday - June 17, 2008 - 7:30PM

Rush "Snakes & Arrows Tour"

Monday - June 30, 2008 - 7:30PM

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers with special guest Steve Winwood

Tuesday - July 8, 2008 - 7:30PM

Jimmy Buffett & The Coral Reefer Band - SOLD OUT!

Thursday - July 17, 2008 - 8:00PM

Avril Lavigne & Jonas Brothers

Monday - July 28, 2008 - 7:00PM

The Vans Warped Tour 2008 featuring Gym Class Heroes, Against Me!, Reel Big Fish, Angels and Airwaves, Pennywise, Story of the Year, Cobra Starship, Set Your Goals, Say Anything, & many more!

Wednesday - July 30, 2008 - 12:00PM

Dave Matthews Band with special guest TR3

Tuesday - August 5, 2008 - 7:00PM

Rod Stewart with Bryan Adams

Friday - August 8, 2008 - 8:00PM

Projekt Revolution Tour featuring Linkin Park, Chris Cornell, Bravery, Ashes Divide

Friday - August 15, 2008 - 2:00PM

Coming Soon

Poison -Live Raw & Uncut Tour 2008- with special guests Dokken & Sebastian Bach

Saturday - August 16, 2008 - 7:00PM

Counting Crows and Maroon 5 with special guest Augustana

Saturday - August 30, 2008 - 7:00PM

On Sale April 12, 2008 - 10:00AM

Journey with Heart and Cheap Trick

Sunday - September 7, 2008 - 7:30PM

Many of these shows will clearly not sell out, or have to be double billed in order to sell a good amount of tickets. Of course, this is offset by the fact that the NC pavillion will be open for this coming season. Many acts at riverbend end up having people seated in the pavilion even if they have lawn seats. That's not fair to those who actually paid for pavilion seats.

Let's face it: if it weren't true, they wouldn't have built this new venue and they wouldn't be able to have such an amazing lineup.

I`m not sure if the major acts are bypassing Riverbend or not this year, but it seem to me that a fair portion are still hitting Cincinnati. In fact Maroon 5 and Counting Crows just announced today that they are coming to Riverbend on August 30th.

With the new Pavilion, the slate of concerts at Riverbend this year is up dramatically over last year. Coney benefits from increase concerts at Riverbend, because a portion of each concert ticket sold actually goes to Coney for parking revenue. Not to mention that Coney also operates the concession stands at Riverbend.

I`m not sure if the major acts are bypassing Riverbend or not this year, but it seem to me that a fair portion are still hitting Cincinnati. In fact Maroon 5 and Counting Crows just announced today that they are coming to Riverbend on August 30th.

With the new Pavilion, the slate of concerts at Riverbend this year is up dramatically over last year. Coney benefits from increase concerts at Riverbend, because a portion of each concert ticket sold actually goes to Coney for parking revenue. Not to mention that Coney also operates the concession stands at Riverbend.

It kills me that Coney charges for that fiasco they call parking.

Ya think they'll ever work out the horrible congestion issues?

Well, there really is not much Coney can do. Their parking entrances have been pretty well established. They do, unlike Kings Island, provide staff to direct people to parking spots, in attempts to speed up the entry process into the parking lot.

Giving Coney rights to the parking is only fair, since Riverbend patrons park on Coney`s property. Not to mention that both the original pavilion and the new pavilion are built on land that once belonged to Coney, which they "donated" to the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. If Riverbend did not utilize Coney`s parking lots, there would simply be no where for concert patrons to park, save for the relatively small Riverdowns parking lots.

Well, there really is not much Coney can do. Their parking entrances have been pretty well established. They do, unlike Kings Island, provide staff to direct people to parking spots, in attempts to speed up the entry process into the parking lot.

Giving Coney rights to the parking is only fair, since Riverbend patrons park on Coney`s property. Not to mention that both the original pavilion and the new pavilion are built on land that once belonged to Coney, which they "donated" to the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. If Riverbend did not utilize Coney`s parking lots, there would simply be no where for concert patrons to park, save for the relatively small Riverdowns parking lots.

Parking is not a problem. It's usually quick and orderly. Leaving after the concert is a cluster ****.

Ha. Almost nothing compares to trying to leave the parking lot during a mass exodus at Alabama Adventure fka Visionland. It can take up to three HOURS! And, that place is about the only park I have ever been to where there are NO free re-entries into the parking lot once you have paid. None.

Lase concert I went to at Riverbend was Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney. It' took almost 3 hours to get out of the parking lot.

Usually, Coney will have Cincinnati Cops directing traffic out of gate one (closes to the Kellogg Avenue exit of 275, and Hamilton County Sheriffs deputies directing traffic out of gate three (closest to Riverdowns). Most people probably try and go west to get onto 275 at Kellogg when leaving concerts. However, Kellogg is a four lane road all the way down to 52, which then joins up with 275.

It may not be perfect now, but I can guarantee that the situation is much better now then when Riverbend opened in 1984.