Dominator Pics...

The only bad thing (well not really bad...) is that at GL I rode it about 4-5 times in a row, waiting in line maybe 5 minutes each time - usually for the front, once in the back, once in the middle.........i'm sure KD will be a little busier - especially with a "new" ride ;)

Well, the only reason I can think of why KD wouldn't be busier than Geauga Lake was would be if it the entire economy is even worse than I fear it will be....and KD would likely suffer a similar fate to GLP. Yep, KD will be almost certainly be far, far busier than Geauga Lake was....though for a bit Six Flags thought they could actually make Geauga Lake aka Six Flags Worlds of Adventure a major competitor to both Cedar Point and Kings Island. We know how that ended...

In fact, if KD isn't busier than GLP was, we will have far bigger things to worry about than amusement parks. Things like jobs, domestic tranquility and even finding money for food.

It is my pleasure in sharing the pics. I believe Dominator is going to bring the attendance up a lot this year for KD. Even though we've always had a alright attendance rate. The summer days are awful, with a reg of 15k-25k on some days, and just a food for thought KD passed it's 2 million mark in 1986, I wonder where we stand now. I can remember back in the BET college days, we hovered over 40K, it was CRAZY! the park was soooo packed.

I already know Dominator's line is going to flow more than 2 hrs long all summer long, and it dosen't make it better thats it's one of the first rides you get to once you enter the gates. This is KD's biggest addition in coasters since XLC, if I'm not mistaken. Even though it's a hand me down, it's very new to us. Virgina's first traditional floorless, and KD's FIRST B&M!..WoooW! I would had never thought in a million years, we would get our first B&M this soon. I was more that certained that KI would had received a B&M before us, but as we all know, KI always had a better collection than KD. Keep it up. I can guarantee that KI will get their first B&M in the next 1-2 years.

Originally there were two parks... Geauga Lake and Sea World.

Six Flags (then Premier Parks) purchased Geauga Lake and reflagged it as Six Flags Ohio. They did this with many smaller parks, such as Riverside (Six Flags New England), Darien Lake (Six Flags Darien Lake... Buffalo), Elitch Gardens and Jazzland. This was a part of an ego-driven corporate monopoly campaign. The general idea was to uy and convert as many small parks as possible into "Six Flags" parks. In Geauga Lake's case, this meant investing millions and millions overnight into what was actually a small regional park.

In the meantime, due to wavering attendance, Busch was looking to unload Sea World . Greedy (and not so smart) Six Flags saw it as an opportunity to become a major force in the most lucrative seasonal amusement market in the country (Ohio.) So they bought Sea World, combined the two parks and re-named it Six Flags Worlds Of Adventure, with the hopes that it would become a flagship park.

Well, despite agressive (and sometimes mean!) marketing campaigns, the park drew less than half the guests they had hoped. Those that did attend were met (more often than not) with bad operating policies and procedures, high prices, and lack-luster staffing.

In addition, Six Flags as a company had grown so rapidly that their exhorbitant spending caught up with them. The company suffered terrible losses on most every park they had gobbled up, and dwindling attendance across the board prompted them to make cuts. Among the cuts was Six Flags Worlds Of Adventure, which was sold to Cedar Fair.

Cedar Fair immediately stripped all things Six Flags and re-branded it back to Geauga Lake. They gave the animals from the (former) Sea World area their walking papers and began re-building the now emptied wildlife area as a waterpark. (The waterpark portion of the park has always seen success.) CF then began the process of removing rides from the amusement side of the park.

Many believe Cedar Fair's intent from the purchase was to rid themselves of a competitor. Actually, Six Flags was never much of a competitor from an attendance standpoint. However, it's pretty clear now that the purchase intent was so Cedar Fair could capitolize on it's revenue generator.. the waterpark.

I attended the park many times as GL, SFO and SFWOA. My personal opinion is that the park was never meant to be "big." It lost all charm when it went corporate, and despite numerous ride additions... there wasn't a lot to do. The goal of an amusement park is to draw attendance, and keep attendees in the park to increase revenue on inside expenditures. (Very little revenue is generated by gate admission believe it or not.)

This park was what I refer to as a half-day park (as is the case of many others that Six Flags branded... SFKK, SFDL, etc.) What I mean is, once I had been on the major rides not much else held my attention. It's an odd thing that I've never quite been able to put my finger on. In *theory* there were plenty of rides, yet there was not enough for me to do.

IMO that "feel" ultimately labels a park as a non-destination. A non-destination park must rely on locals for support. In GL's case, most locals were turned off by what they perceived as a massive re-tooling of a beloved park. Once it was turned into Six Flags, the GP envisioned big crowds (that did not exist), big rides, raised prices and poor traffic conditions. Those things deterred them from continued interest and support.

Thus it met a fate where the land it sat on became of more value than the park generated. The result is the closure and destruction of the park.

Shaggy

Thanks for the overview, Shaggy! I've heard some bits and pieces of what you wrote, but that was the first "big picture" look I had at it....I'm 21 years old right now...i went to GL when I was about 10, so before Six Flags bought it....I don't really remember too much about it...other than my family usually went to KI but decided to go to GL because it was different and not as crowded.....i *believe* i went to sea world at the time when Six Flags had purchased GL but had not yet purchased Sea World and combined the two....the only reason i remember that is because my dad was disappointed because they had new roller coasters....

Trusting seasonal college age employees for information on CP and its former competition is like trusting late 80's/early 90's food employees for information on behind the scenes Paramount.

<G>

Was a differnt day and age in the 80's or 90's for CP and KI.

Seems that they had a whole lot more trust and faith in their employees.

From the reports and your personal experience, Gordon, seems that the parks right now do not even trust their supervisors with park information.

I know that for KI, it chaned with the Paramount take over. But those days are over.

Trusting seasonal college age employees for information on CP and its former competition is like trusting late 80's/early 90's food employees for information on behind the scenes Paramount.

<G>

Was a differnt day and age in the 80's or 90's for CP and KI.

Seems that they had a whole lot more trust and faith in their employees.

From the reports and your personal experience, Gordon, seems that the parks right now do not even trust their supervisors with park information.

I know that for KI, it chaned with the Paramount take over. But those days are over.

Well yes it was a different day, and it seems to become a little harder for parks to trust their employees with certain information with things today like the internet. Take a look at Cedar Fair for example shutting down numerous fan sites that were run by park employees at different respective parks.

Well yes it was a different day, and it seems to become a little harder for parks to trust their employees with certain information with things today like the internet. Take a look at Cedar Fair for example shutting down numerous fan sites that were run by park employees at different respective parks.

That's simply lack of creativity on CF's portion.

If they would actually approach the sites as a useful tool to work with and put value on their employees, that would not be an issue. In turn, if they did not approach everything as if it were a great secret, it would be easier as well.

I have no Idea what you're talking about Shaggy. . .

Geauga Lake was one of the most amazing parks I have ever been to. It had rides, it had water slides, and I loved the Lake-Side location. Very Beautiful! :lol:

Plus it had tons of different variety. I think Cedar Fair bought it seeing it as a feeding ground for relocated rides. It had,

A Flyer

A Floorless

An Inverted Impulse

An Invert (SLC)

And a great vaiety of flats!

Plus Geauga Lake was always a competitor of Cedar Point. I have had uncles and what not who would LIVE in Sandusky yet choose Geauga Lake over Cedar Point. For Cedar Fair, If it drew customers away from it's CROWN JEWL than, what better option then

Buy the Park then Trash it!

Geauga Lake was one of the most amazing parks I have ever been to.

i don't know if i'd go that far...of course, that's your opinion...but if i could only go to one park out of CP, KI, or GL...GL would not be a contender...even if the ride side was open...

and GL may have been a competitor, but not much...maybe in the sense that kmart is a competitor of wal-mart...

Is it me, or has it not yet been re-painted?

Media day for it is May 20th.

Wonder if they've sent the little "ball" do-jiggy around to check clearances.

Shaggy

The ride is being painted, most of the corkscrew section is re-painted. The chain hill, loop, cobra area isn't done yet... if you look close enough you can see a few pieces of track painted.

but if i could only go to one park out of CP, KI, or GL...GL would not be a contender...even if the ride side was open...

Well of Course not, but for a park like that under the said curcomestances (sp?) is pretty Dang good.

The ride is being painted, most of the corkscrew section is re-painted. The chain hill, loop, cobra area isn't done yet... if you look close enough you can see a few pieces of track painted.

True. Most of the ride is being painted Orange tracked. (EWW! <_< )

As for Thunderhawk, Michigan's Adventure is giving it a new Red Tracked paint job to replace it's Old Orange.

I'd have to look extra close to see the painting.... a little known fact is that I am partially colorblind!

In regards to GL... I personally was never enchanted with the park. I recognize that others may have been. But I'm not so sure many other non-locals were as it ultimately lost it's audience. (And audience who was no doubt confused by all the changes.) That's not to say the park wasn't esthetically pleasing, or that it did not have fun rides, I just never held MY attention.

I may be wrong, but I think that CF seeing it as a feeding ground for relocating rides was probably an afterthought. I am in no way in the know, however being a business man, my perception is that CF initially purchased the park with the intent to operate it in some form or another. After a season of operation, and no doubt close financial evaluation, the CF Board likely deemed that proper return on investement resided with a sale of the land and liquidation of assets.

Prior to that liquidation, they likely evaluated what attractions COULD be relocated, cost effectively, to generate a return at other parks. Thus we've seen (so far) 5 attractions moved to other parks. The majority of attractions are being sold at auction.

It's worth noting that relocating attractions park-to-park is typically just as costly as a brand new install. For instance, the deconstruction, moving, taxing on distribution of property and re-installation of Stealth at PGA to PCow cost nearly as much at the original install.

Overall, the relocation of rides is not as "lucrative" as some may think from a savings aspect. The upside to relocating a ride lies with the ride itself. If it's proven succesful from an interest/rideable/marketable standpoint or fills a *need* at another park then its a wise decision to relocate it. It also saves initial design/developmental costs. Other than that, it's usually a wash.

Shaggy

For Cedar Fair, If it drew customers away from it's CROWN JEWL than, what better option then

Beast1979, you just basically gave a reason why they should NOT sell the park. Why would Cedar Fair buy a park that is already well known and brings in money for them to just sell it because they feel that it was competition. Besides, where is the competition if they own both parks? Another thing, if GL's rides and waterpark were drawing customers away from Cedar Point wouldn't you think they would have put something more than just seven of GL children's rides? Since it is there jewel park.

While I think that it's previous location at GL, right by the lake, was far superior to it's current location, Dominator will receive the ridership it deserves. Don't get me wrong, I liked being able to ride it 10 times within an hour last year, especially in the middle of July, when the park should normally be packed, but it was sad seeing no one ride this world-class coaster day after day after day, and seeing numerous empty trains being cycled because no one was in line.

While I think that it's previous location at GL, right by the lake, was far superior to it's current location, Dominator will receive the ridership it deserves. Don't get me wrong, I liked being able to ride it 10 times within an hour last year, especially in the middle of July, when the park should normally be packed, but it was sad seeing no one ride this world-class coaster day after day after day, and seeing numerous empty trains being cycled because no one was in line.

Yeah, I have to agree with you on that...I also went mid-to-late July and could not believe how "dead" it was - as far as attendance goes, it was like KI on a cold, cloudy, rainy day.....SEVERAL rides were only running with one train, and waits were still only about 15-20 minutes on those rides...and like DarkBeast stated, Dominator had hardly any line whatsoever - I rode in the front seat 3-4 times in a row, only waiting 5-10 minutes in line each time (mainly because I wanted to ride in the front, the rest was basically a walk on)...

I love the feeling of this ride and I'm glad its being reconstructed in a park that I'm visiting (for the first time) this year!

Chris

I have had uncles and what not who would LIVE in Sandusky yet choose Geauga Lake over Cedar Point. For Cedar Fair, If it drew customers away from it's CROWN JEWL than, what better option then

I'm sorry to hear that you have lost your uncles, but if you actually believe that CF purchased GL to "trash" it, you are just trolling for negative responses.

Originally there were two parks... Geauga Lake and Sea World.

Six Flags (then Premier Parks) purchased Geauga Lake and reflagged it as Six Flags Ohio. They did this with many smaller parks, such as Riverside (Six Flags New England), Darien Lake (Six Flags Darien Lake... Buffalo), Elitch Gardens and Jazzland. This was a part of an ego-driven corporate monopoly campaign. The general idea was to uy and convert as many small parks as possible into "Six Flags" parks. In Geauga Lake's case, this meant investing millions and millions overnight into what was actually a small regional park.

In the meantime, due to wavering attendance, Busch was looking to unload Sea World . Greedy (and not so smart) Six Flags saw it as an opportunity to become a major force in the most lucrative seasonal amusement market in the country (Ohio.) So they bought Sea World, combined the two parks and re-named it Six Flags Worlds Of Adventure, with the hopes that it would become a flagship park.

Well, despite agressive (and sometimes mean!) marketing campaigns, the park drew less than half the guests they had hoped. Those that did attend were met (more often than not) with bad operating policies and procedures, high prices, and lack-luster staffing.

In addition, Six Flags as a company had grown so rapidly that their exhorbitant spending caught up with them. The company suffered terrible losses on most every park they had gobbled up, and dwindling attendance across the board prompted them to make cuts. Among the cuts was Six Flags Worlds Of Adventure, which was sold to Cedar Fair.

Cedar Fair immediately stripped all things Six Flags and re-branded it back to Geauga Lake. They gave the animals from the (former) Sea World area their walking papers and began re-building the now emptied wildlife area as a waterpark. (The waterpark portion of the park has always seen success.) CF then began the process of removing rides from the amusement side of the park.

Many believe Cedar Fair's intent from the purchase was to rid themselves of a competitor. Actually, Six Flags was never much of a competitor from an attendance standpoint. However, it's pretty clear now that the purchase intent was so Cedar Fair could capitolize on it's revenue generator.. the waterpark.

I attended the park many times as GL, SFO and SFWOA. My personal opinion is that the park was never meant to be "big." It lost all charm when it went corporate, and despite numerous ride additions... there wasn't a lot to do. The goal of an amusement park is to draw attendance, and keep attendees in the park to increase revenue on inside expenditures. (Very little revenue is generated by gate admission believe it or not.)

This park was what I refer to as a half-day park (as is the case of many others that Six Flags branded... SFKK, SFDL, etc.) What I mean is, once I had been on the major rides not much else held my attention. It's an odd thing that I've never quite been able to put my finger on. In *theory* there were plenty of rides, yet there was not enough for me to do.

IMO that "feel" ultimately labels a park as a non-destination. A non-destination park must rely on locals for support. In GL's case, most locals were turned off by what they perceived as a massive re-tooling of a beloved park. Once it was turned into Six Flags, the GP envisioned big crowds (that did not exist), big rides, raised prices and poor traffic conditions. Those things deterred them from continued interest and support.

Thus it met a fate where the land it sat on became of more value than the park generated. The result is the closure and destruction of the park.

Shaggy

Well in all fairness,at the time GL was already owned by Premier & had been since 95 but it was only after they bought SF in 98 that their problems began.Premiere was good at buying under-developed parks like GL,Wild world(now SFA) & DL & bringing them back to profitability by adding new rides as needed but once Burke got it in his head to spend too much capital on flagging these parks that's when the money began to run out(in 2001) so by 2002 he got this idea that,in order to make money to get out of the debt that was incurred they had to spend money primarily on the big 4 parks in the chain thus ignoring the smaller,underdeveloped SF parks & it's been that way ever since.

KD will not suffer the same fate as GL,they're one of the top 3 most attended parks of the former paramount chain next to KI & CWL,I'd expect SFA to suffer the same fate as GL since SFI doesn't appear to be investing in the park at all & with Dominator stealing even more of their attendance base they're gonna be in real trouble if they don't do something for 2009.

Anyhow I'll be heading down to KD in july for my annual trip & definitely plan on hitting Dominator first thing....since I've got a new themepark blog up on blogspot recently I'd like to post some pics there but so far every time I've tried to C&P pics for construction updates they won't show up.

As of yesterday, I saw one of the trains on the track. It's purple with orange restraints. I have 2 photos. You will notice a little white on the track pieces in the corkscrew areas. I don't know if those are new pieces or not but it sure looks like it...

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee18/kd...pg?t=1208696310

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee18/kd...pg?t=1208696348

Dominator will be two colors but the loop will be gold. They are already starting to paint the gold on the loop. The past few weeks, they have been painting the rest of the track orange little by little. They have been more busy working on the path and station of Dominator the past few weeks.