Should the train be the next Nostalgia Reclamation project

raptor

After the decision that The Racer should go back to the way it was intended, what about the train? I don't think being a transport to the waterpark was how the ride was originally intended to be, and that is pretty much all the ride has become, everything else is rundown, and where you used to feel like you were going into the wilderness now you feel like your going through a swim club. If were so worried about nostalgia this should be a top priority

Mr. Helbig has changed his story a couple of times, from

"To keep consistant with Cedar Fair Parks"

to

"Bring back Nostalgia"

It's never the same.

But I don't think it's his fault. There are several reasons why it was done, it just depends on how you ask him.

I think that Don's theory on this is to throw everything against the wall and see what sticks.

After the decision that The Racer should go back to the way it was intended, what about the train? I don't think being a transport to the waterpark was how the ride was originally intended to be, and that is pretty much all the ride has become, everything else is rundown, and where you used to feel like you were going into the wilderness now you feel like your going through a swim club. If were so worried about nostalgia this should be a top priority

I definitely agree!!!!

Mr. Helbig has changed his story a couple of times, from

"To keep consistant with Cedar Fair Parks"

to

"Bring back Nostalgia"

It's never the same.

But I don't think it's his fault. There are several reasons why it was done, it just depends on how you ask him.

I think that Don's theory on this is to throw everything against the wall and see what sticks.

You're a wise man Woofer... :)

• Like 1

I would like to see the train go back to the old way. I rode it for the first time since BB got there ands when i rode it yeah i saw the Indian Village but big woopty doo. Cedar Point's Train takes you through boneville all while transporting you to the OTHER SIDE OF THE PARK not to the water park. I do not believe that Kings Island is large enough to have a train be the form of two way transport. Bring back the skyride!!!

• Like 2

The waterpark addition saved the train.

I recall riding the train as it existed just prior to the waterpark addition... it was not the "stellar" attraction that fond memories recall. Less than half the displays worked, and they were more ragged looking than you can imagine. It was a fun and unique attraction in it's earlier years, but memories make it more interesting.

Also, if I am not mistaken, the train is actually maintained/operated by an outside source... not KI itself. Seems the maintenance and conducting fell under different transportation rules/regulations than normal amusement attractions. Not to say that they cannot theme it in anyway they seem fit, rather I just don't think it's a priority to them.

If you think CF is going to go the distance in re-establishing or maintaining nostalgic themed attractions, think again. Pirate Ride, Paddlewheel Excursions, Kingdom of the Dinosaurs, Earthquake ride, Journey to the Center of the Earth are all examples.

The Racer change has little to do with bringing back nostalgia, and everything to do with insurance. The nostalgia aspect is a PR spin.

Shaggy

• Like 3

^Here, here! Add "Zodiac" and "Der Spinnen Keggers" to the list of nostalgic rides.

Things can seem so simple from out here in Kings Island fanland. What would it take to send a team of people in to restore the theming on the train? I guess it would take a lot more than just bidding out a few contracts to one painting company and one building company, etc.

I'm just glad to hear the train whistle still echoing through the park. With the band organ music gone from the Grand Carousel, and adult contemporary music "gracing" the Fountains of International Street, at least the eerily harmonic steam whistle still brings some 'nostalgia' to the KI experience. :mellow:

• Like 2

If you think CF is going to go the distance in re-establishing or maintaining nostalgic themed attractions, think again. Pirate Ride, Paddlewheel Excursions, Kingdom of the Dinosaurs, Earthquake ride, Journey to the Center of the Earth are all examples.

Shaggy

I had forgotten all about CP's Earthquake dark ride! I absoultely loved it when I was little... but, I bet if I rode it today it wouldn't come close to my memories of it.

CP has an Earthquake Dark Ride? :huh:

It used to...up until the mid-80's.

http://www.thepointol.com/cponle/lostrides/index.html

"Built between the Pagoda Gift Shop and the Coliseum, the San Francisco Earthquake Ride opened at Cedar Point in 1966 when the park purchased it from Freedomland, an amusement park in New York. Prior to boarding the ride, radio earthquake news flashes from San Francisco were played in the ride's station. During the dark ride, buildings and walls were simulated to look as if they were falling down while on the ride. The ride lasted until 1985 when it was replaced with Berenstain Bear Country."

• Like 2

The waterpark addition saved the train.

I recall riding the train as it existed just prior to the waterpark addition... it was not the "stellar" attraction that fond memories recall. Less than half the displays worked, and they were more ragged looking than you can imagine. It was a fun and unique attraction in it's earlier years, but memories make it more interesting.

Also, if I am not mistaken, the train is actually maintained/operated by an outside source... not KI itself. Seems the maintenance and conducting fell under different transportation rules/regulations than normal amusement attractions. Not to say that they cannot theme it in anyway they seem fit, rather I just don't think it's a priority to them.

The Racer change has little to do with bringing back nostalgia, and everything to do with insurance. The nostalgia aspect is a PR spin.

Shaggy

Actually Shaggy, I believe the maintenance and conducting is done in-house by Kings Island and has been for some time.

• Like 2

Woah I had no idea CP has gone through all those rides! Why are dark rides not built anymore I LOVE them, the new Batman Knight Coaster at the Six Flags parks looks awesome! If I didnt hate six flags I would go to ride it.

Well, that's certainly a great reason to deprive yourself of an experience.

Oh, well! One fewer person in line! :)

• 7 years later...