Red Racer's New Logo

BoddaH1994

If the park had not put a logo on the front of the trains, people would have complained.

If the park had put on the old logo, people would have complained.

The park put on a different logo, people are complaining.

Funny how when the logos were not there, people did not complain.

Sigh.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something old is new again at Kings Island, as both sides of The Racer roller coaster will run forward in 2008. The decision to run both sides forward again after 26 years brings the history of the ride full circle, back to its original form. The Red Racer trains will be on the former backward side, with the Blue Racer trains on the other side.

Reports indicate that now both trains on the Red Racer, the former backward Racer, are now on the track. Click here to see a photo of a Red Racer train with its new logo.

It's classic looking, I like it.

I'm still a bit peeved that it no longer goes backward.

It looks like the late 70's early 80's again.

Tell me, do you think that they are trying this for this season and will see how it goes? Or has CF stated that The Racers will stay this way for good?

Thanks. Thanks for sharing the picture too!

"They ain't adding anything... the park is left out in the cold while other parks get something new..."

You honestly think that there's NOTHING new and exciting for ride fans this year? Geeze, maybe something old will become new again for another ride? Maybe they'll be able to crack open the crypt of old rides and find out what can be one thing one year can be TOTALLY different the next.

:o

^ No more cryptic clues hidden within posts, please. My small, underdeveloped mind can't handle the intense cognitive thinking these deceptive riddles demand. :wacko:

....wait, I just did it. Dag nab it.

Quit flip flip flipping this around to make it sound like something new. :wacko:

"They ain't adding anything... the park is left out in the cold while other parks get something new..."

You honestly think that there's NOTHING new and exciting for ride fans this year? Geeze, maybe something old will become new again for another ride? Maybe they'll be able to crack open the crypt of old rides and find out what can be one thing one year can be TOTALLY different the next.

From the FAQ page for Charmland USA:

I've been coming to your park since I was in diapers. You owe me!

That wasn't a question, but the last time I checked, we own the park and you don't... and thus we don't owe you a darn thing. Thank you for your patronage.

http://www.coasterbuzz.com/charmland/

;)

That wasn't a question, but the last time I checked, we own the park and you don't... and thus we don't owe you a darn thing. Thank you for your patronage.

http://www.coasterbuzz.com/charmland/

;)

And the following season after that was placed into the Charmland FAQ's:

Charmland Closed For Business.

So heres my guess about The Crypt, they are removing one row to make it lighter, and more balanced allowing it to flip 10x more! Also giving it a brand new ride program! And if this is correct, why don't they advertise The Crypt "as a toatally new experience, more thrilling than ever!"

So heres my guess about The Crypt, they are removing one row to make it lighter, and more balanced allowing it to flip 10x more! Also giving it a brand new ride program! And if this is correct, why don't they advertise The Crypt "as a toatally new experience, more thrilling than ever!"

Because that wouldn't be saying much? :)

A lot of guests complained about the thrill factor of Tomb Raider: The Ride. They didn't like how long they were upside down or the motions. Or the fact it was often closed. (Reminds me of the old restaurant joke: Your food is terrible and the portions are too small!)

Seeing as how much trouble it is to unbuild and rebuild the trains

Actually, it is not hard at all, and is done every off season.

Yes, they may take the trains apart every year but it does require additional modification to change the direction of a train.

I saw that a few weeks ago and I couldn't help but laugh at it. :lol:

More like disassemble, scratch head, modify, scratch head, modify, scratch head, modify, reassemble, scratch head...

Sounds like me trying to figure out my chemistry lab assignments. :P

Hey good to see you Bukowski! It's a rare opportunity to see you here.

Yea there's that extra step in there aside from the normal disassemble-reassemble. More like disassemble, scratch head, modify, scratch head, modify, scratch head, modify, reassemble, scratch head...

More like disassemble, put brake fin here instead of there this time, reassemble, get nostalgic.

^It was made to resemble the old racer logo.

When looking at the old Red Racer logo the letters where made of metal and sticking out some with that V on the bottom. I will see if I can get a picture of it, but don't hold your breath.

I already know that while in line for one of the Paramount named rides (Top Gun, Invertigo, ect...) someone will say "Last year this ride was called (insert name here) and one day the train flew off the track and killed everyone so they had to re-name it so people will ride it.

Wow... modernizing nostalgia. I didn't even know that was possible. <_<

The old logo from way back in yester-year was just "Red Racer" and "Blue Racer" in metallic lettering. If they had done that, many more people would have thought it was bland. Of course, they jazz it up a bit and we've got ignorant comments about "modernizing nostalgia" so I suppose they'll never win in many peoples' books, so why even try?

Ouch, Ryan, that stung a little bit! I'm sorry that you felt my comment was "ignorant". It was not intended in any way as an attack on what you had said, but rather on the nostalgia concept that the park is trying to have us buy into, a reason that many of us on here are very skeptical about. The park hasn't even opened yet and this is already the second reason we've been given for the change to recaR, the first being to make things consistant with other Cedar Fair parks, see here and here. The point I was trying to make was that if nostalgia was truly the reason for turning recaR around, they should do everything they can to bring it back to what it was, including the old logos on the front of the trains. I'm not saying they should bring back the buzz bars and undivided cushiony seats (although that would be nice, but unrealistic. Those days are long gone for various, and good, reasons), but bringing back the old signage/logos are a simple way to harken back to the old days.

Far from it. I'm just saying that they could be perfect to an epic degree and there still would be nothing but negative comments on this forum. I'm all about people expressing their opinions, but I think that more and more, people are posting just to post. It's actually getting very very old...

I hope that I wasn't included in your comment about people posting just to post. I feel I have valid comments, especially given my long and varied history with the park. Those very few of you on here that know me personally have some idea of what I am talking about. I do admit I can be opinionated from time to time, but I try to back up my opinions with what I feel are logical arguments. If I wanted to make intentionally ignorant comments I would go on the radio during a show about Racer and say stuff like, "I don't get it, why don't they just turn one backwards?" That caller still makes me :lol:.

When you are in business, the money you earn for delivering a product or service is your chief thanks. EXPECTING more than that is arrogance. And when you have a forum for fans of a park, and the park is changing, you can expect some grieving. Yes, grieving. The second step in growing through grief is anger....

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2006/pu...504_000895.html

Neither you nor Cedar Fair should be surprised. A year from now, most of these changes will be accepted and the grief process will be over. Most people do not like change. It is normal for those who planned the change to be upset at the anger those affected by the change often display. I still say most park patrons won't even notice most of the changes....

I couldn't agree more with the grieving comments in this post. I am working through the five stages myself. I have pretty much worked through Anger, kind of see myself skipping over Bargaining, and working towards Acceptance. Was I sad when KI took out Skylab, Cobra, KCKC, Antiques, Eagles and the numerous other rides that have come and gone through the years? Yes, but I enjoy Delirium, Crypt and the numerous other rides that have replaced them. Even BLSC, although I still think there would have been a better spot for it elsewhere, but it wasn't my call to make so I've begrudgingly accepted it.

You're absolutely right. However, although I can not speak for Cedar Fair, I'm not surprised in the least with the reaction on these forums. I do however, think that most people will like what they've done once they actually see them for themselves.

And I agree here as well. One thing I am very grateful to CF for is the return of entertainment. This area was dreadful the last few Viacom/CBS years. It was not the fault of the park entertainment people, but corporate. The park people did their best with what they were given at the time, and are a great group of people. With the new shows last year and even more this year, it's seems to be a resurgence of what it was pre-Paramount. I also like the new sign in front of the Royal Fountains, many of the new ride logos, and am looking forward to see what else is in store for April 20th and beyond.

I worked in the industry long enough (and in positions) to come to an informed opinion on what truly motivated the past couple of owners. CF is a different company, and I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. However, I will remain a little guarded about it for now. Who knows, CF may live up to their word and keep the "head-to-head competition to the finish line" throughout the season, proving my suspicions wrong. And I do hope that they prove me wrong, that would be great. Only time will tell.

I feel that I have beat the recaR topic into the ground through numerous posts, and have nothing really new to add to it. So until the time that CF has hopefully proven me wrong, or conversely proven me correct, I will try to refrain from harping on the subject. I would just keep repeating myself which I feel I am already starting to do. If you see me breaking this vow, just give me a good swift kick. ;)

I wanted to close by saying that I appreciate all that Ryan and the rest of the staff do for us on this site. Like any community, we will have our disagreements from time to time, hopefully we can rationally discuss them and move past any little spats. It's great to have a place to get official updates on the park (outside of news from my friends who still work there, which I will not post). Only a few more days until the llllooooonnnnggg off-season is over, and we'll have plenty more to talk about.

Well said GatorHead, well said.

The old logo from way back in yester-year was just "Red Racer" and "Blue Racer" in metallic lettering. If they had done that, many more people would have thought it was bland. Of course, they jazz it up a bit and we've got ignorant comments about "modernizing nostalgia" so I suppose they'll never win in many peoples' books, so why even try?

You know there are some of us who really enjoy some things CF has done, and there are some of us who disagree. I, myself, really enjoy some things and am looking forward to riding the "new" Racer. However, Boddah, there are some of us who don't blindly support everything the park does. Personally, I think the logo looks stupid, granted you can't see it that well, but from what I can tell it doesn't compliment the train very well. That is my opinion, and many others opinions, that does not make it ignorant. I thought these were forums for discussing Kings Island, not just praising it.

Well Said Boys.

And I too have called out when I think things are being done well. I was one of the first to call out that it was impressive that the park was adding the shows. I also noted that the park was not going cheap on the signs that were put up, etc.

But I'm not a cheerleader (it would be scarry for me to put on one of them little skirts <G>) and will not trumpet the Ordinary as Extrordinary.

Sorry, I'm just old enough to know when someone is ****in on my shoes and telling me it's a spring shower.

It was not intended in any way as an attack on what you had said, but rather on the nostalgia concept that the park is trying to have us buy into, a reason that many of us on here are very skeptical about. The park hasn't even opened yet and this is already the second reason we've been given for the change to recaR, the first being to make things consistant with other Cedar Fair parks, see here and here. The point I was trying to make was that if nostalgia was truly the reason for turning recaR around, they should do everything they can to bring it back to what it was, including the old logos on the front of the trains. I'm not saying they should bring back the buzz bars and undivided cushiony seats (although that would be nice, but unrealistic. Those days are long gone for various, and good, reasons), but bringing back the old signage/logos are a simple way to harken back to the old days.

That is a idea I have been running through my mind as well. While getting Buzz Bars and undivided cushioned seats are out of the question I agree with the getting the old logos.

Nostalgia or not the one thing I feel Racer Red and Blue are missing now more than ever is their coat of paint representing their color.

38a2.jpg

Ouch, Ryan, that stung a little bit! I'm sorry that you felt my comment was "ignorant". It was not intended in any way as an attack on what you had said, but rather on the nostalgia concept that the park is trying to have us buy into, a reason that many of us on here are very skeptical about.

That wasn't directed towards you, or any one person for that matter. I just see attacking every little thing about The Racer with the "nostalgia" card as being like walking into a Johnny Rockets with a history book and pointing out the discrepancies.

And I agree here as well. One thing I am very grateful to CF for is the return of entertainment. This area was dreadful the last few Viacom/CBS years. It was not the fault of the park entertainment people, but corporate.

Six shows is a VERY expensive venture. It shows Cedar Fair's commitment to the park... especially by doing things like adding a new stage to the Festhaus.

I worked in the industry long enough (and in positions) to come to an informed opinion on what truly motivated the past couple of owners. CF is a different company, and I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

That's a very good mentality to have. I encourage everyone to be cautiously optimistic about Kings Island. What's in the future of the park? I don't know... I suppose no one really does. However we do have a company that has a clear commitment to making it a better place.

I wanted to close by saying that I appreciate all that Ryan and the rest of the staff do for us on this site.

We appreciate you posting here. :rolleyes:

And I too have called out when I think things are being done well. I was one of the first to call out that it was impressive that the park was adding the shows. I also noted that the park was not going cheap on the signs that were put up, etc.

But I'm not a cheerleader (it would be scarry for me to put on one of them little skirts <G>) and will not trumpet the Ordinary as Extrordinary.

I realize that I may come off as a corporate cheerleader for Cedar Fair, but you have to understand that I have a responsibility to both the company and our forum users. I simply convey the message and give the users here the product of conversation. There are things that I love about that company and things that I hate, but it's just not my place on these forums to be overly negative. Cedar Fair hears about my gripes directly, don't get me wrong, but being the pseudo-spokesperson for Kings Island's fan base, it would be extraordinarily cavalier to convey something of that sort.

You know there are some of us who really enjoy some things CF has done, and there are some of us who disagree. I, myself, really enjoy some things and am looking forward to riding the "new" Racer. However, Boddah, there are some of us who don't blindly support everything the park does. Personally, I think the logo looks stupid, granted you can't see it that well, but from what I can tell it doesn't compliment the train very well. That is my opinion, and many others opinions, that does not make it ignorant. I thought these were forums for discussing Kings Island, not just praising it.

That's the catch 22... you just won't win. They had the metallic lettering in the 70s and had nothing recently, now they have this new logo. Had they done the "nostalgic" thing and added the old lettering, people would have said it was boring, and they added the logo and you guys haven't even seen it in person and we're getting complaints that it "doesn't complement the train". I mean really... It's not like it's a purse that doesn't match the shoes... it's a freaking logo on a train. On top of that, in recent years there was NOTHING there. Love or hate the logo, having something there now is better than nothing. Why don't you see the logo for yourself before you decide whether or not it "complements the train"?

^No it wont, the backwards side is gone. :P

That's the catch 22... you just won't win. They had the metallic lettering in the 70s and had nothing recently, now they have this new logo. Had they done the "nostalgic" thing and added the old lettering, people would have said it was boring, and they added the logo and you guys haven't even seen it in person and we're getting complaints that it "doesn't complement the train". I mean really... It's not like it's a purse that doesn't match the shoes... it's a freaking logo on a train. On top of that, in recent years there was NOTHING there. Love or hate the logo, having something there now is better than nothing. Why don't you see the logo for yourself before you decide whether or not it "complements the train"?

Actually Boddah, regardless of whether its a logo or not we are entitled to have an opinion on it, no matter how minor of a subject it may be. Back in the day, Kings Island was all about quality and the details in things, those times went and now the park has a new marketing front about bringing back "nostalgia." and frankly no one seems to be buying it. The logo is a perfect example. No, I have not seen it in person and admitted that, however like I said, judging from the picture it looks awkward and weird on the front of the train. In recent years there was nothing there? Actually, last season was the only time nothing was there, every year leading up to that there had been the decals on the front of the trains that said "Paramount." If the park was really concerned with nostalgia, then why is The Racer the only thing getting some of that "nostalgia?" Why not paint the ride? It hasn't received a fresh coat of paint since 1998. I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying the spin on this one.