Restaurants Feel Pinch

Unfortunately, I doubt the park will take this into consideration. As of late, they seem to be taking the attitude of "once we get them in, lets try and rob them of all the money we can" attitude by having ridiculously priced food items. Not to mention that the quality of said items and the service at the stands serving these items (at least last year), was subpar with what average consumers would expect from comparable establishments outside the park. Heck, even at Reds games, where the prices may be similarly expensive, one has to think that for the most part, you will get decent food and service there. (I haven`t been to a Reds game yet this year).

Cedar Fair can only raise in park food prices so much to increase their per cap spending before people stop buying food and drinks inside the park altogether. When that happens, their per cap spending will fall, and probably fall hard. And with the rising cost of gas and groceries currently, if CF has raised their food prices much over what they were last year, they may be asking for trouble. With the increase in the prices of these items, some families will have less discretionary income to spend, with some opting to forgo their trip to the park because of the higher prices. Those that do choose to spend it at Kings Island (and other CF parks), might not be willing to pay the outrageous food prices and opt to leave the park to find cheaper food prices outside of the park, and return to the park after a swing by the nearby food establishments that actually have reasonable service, quality and pricing.

The only difference that I see is that at a Reds game you are likely to only spend 3-4 hours inside the gates, while at Kings Island people come to spend 7-12 hours inside the park. Eating before and after a Reds seems quite easy while leaving the park in the middle of your day, going to Kings Mills and grabbing some fast food, seems like it would be difficult and annoying. Thus people are more likely to pay the ridiculous prices. I do agree with you that the park can only go so far in pricing before shooting themselves in the foot.

By comment with the Reds was not so much about length of stay. I agree that people will tend to stay longer at an amusement park then a baseball game. My point was that both venues typically offer inflated food prices.

The difference (at least last year) was that Kings Island food service offered lousy service, and sometimes unsatisfactory food quality. While at a Reds game, the food service and food were of a decent quality, so the higher price was more justifiable. The fact that Kings Island was charging an inflated price for cold pizza, and with lousy customer service from the food service employees makes the high price seem like highway robbery. Not exactly a way to make a good impression on park guests and encourage them to a) make repeat visits to the park, and B) tell their friends and family about the wonderful experience they had at the park thus promoting future business for the park.

I agree with RZ, the food at the reds games are somewhat inflated depending on what you get. Personally I don't buy the "mock" Penn Station or Skyline sold at Great American Ballpak, but a large drink and pretzel or a few hot dogs isn't too badly priced. Not to mention they usually move the lines pretty quick, and when there are volunteers working for an organization or fundraiser, there are actual GABP employees supervising. Not much can be said for their neighbors next door.

-Gordon Bombay, who loves the Cyclones yet is completely fed up with U.S. Bank Arena.