Bananna Splits

pilotank

• 7 months later...

Last night on Boomerang, at 7:55PM on 11/20/2008 after the Tom & Jerry Show,

they played the opening of the Bananna Splits. On this opening, you could see

The Turnpike, The Dodgem's and the Great Slide from Coney Island!

Definitely a blast from the past. The visuals were excellent.

pilotank

I watched the new bananna splits show the other day on cartoon network it's okay I seen 2 min clips on Boomerang as well I hear a CD & DVD is coming out and Hard Rock Park has a kids-themed Bananna Splits themed kid area called Bananna Splitsville.

-BTW sad that Hard Rock Park is being sold off.

I hate to be Mr. Wet Dishrag, but here goes...

In many, many ways y'all (not you Woofer) would be bored to tears at 70's Kings Island.

Biggest coaster in the park? Racer. By today's standards, very few rides. Most of the trees were mere saplings. And though even I love to complain about food pricing nowadays at Kings Island, by comparison, it was much more dear back then. Yes, the food was far, far better. Yes, it was usually made from scratch...but, for example, a hamburger very much resembling one from McDonald's cost about seven times as much at what was then Humble Pie (where Chick-Fil-A is now). Pricing may now seem low, but wages and salaries were much lower back then. Oh, and that season pass? There was no such thing. Each time a local came to the park, a local paid to get in. That'd get old for many of you really fast.

I enjoy going to the modern day Kings Island, but when I see old videos or pictures, I almost get sick to my stomach. Only to be able to visit KI circa 1970's!

That video shows all the novelty push-up ice cream Ginko trees that came from Coney Island at Coney Mall.

Along with the Sky Ride, Tumblebug and the Flying Scooters.

pilotank

I hate to be Mr. Wet Dishrag, but here goes...

In many, many ways y'all (not you Woofer) would be bored to tears at 70's Kings Island.

Biggest coaster in the park? Racer. By today's standards, very few rides. Most of the trees were mere saplings. And though even I love to complain about food pricing nowadays at Kings Island, by comparison, it was much more dear back then. Yes, the food was far, far better. Yes, it was usually made from scratch...but, for example, a hamburger very much resembling one from McDonald's cost about seven times as much at what was then Humble Pie (where Chick-Fil-A is now). Pricing may now seem low, but wages and salaries were much lower back then. Oh, and that season pass? There was no such thing. Each time a local came to the park, a local paid to get in. That'd get old for many of you really fast.

Actually, food prices were very well in line with what could be purchased outside the park.

Those Burgers you site at Humble Pie and Then Burger Bistro were not just burgers. The Beast Burger patties were larger than a Big Mac and the normal gormet burgers were full 1/4 patties. Lettuce, onions and tomatoes were actually prepped and sliced in the commesary.

The advent of the season pass arrived in the late 70's/early 80's. I know that I'd had a season pass since for years before I had worked at the park.

And No.... Bored I never had been. A Theme Park is More Than Simply The Rides. That is something tha Paramount never understood.

Opening year, my father grudgingly and very hotly spent about $1 each for burgers at Humble Pie that were in no way different from those available at McDonald's for 15 cents. There was no lettuce or tomato, and the burgers were made with the same size 10:1 (1.6 ounce) patties used at the local McDonald's outside the park. To say he was not amused is to be nice about it.

This Banana Splits movie shows some vintage KI scenes:

I love 0:23 to 0:25 of that show!!

I agree that the song is annoying.

I agree with Interp in many ways. If many of you were to go to 1970s Kings Island, it would be like trading your Blackberry for a rotary dial phone or trading in your car for a 1972 Ford Pinto.

But for a child in the 70s, KI was simply a magical place. I never watched Banana Splits (I preferred Bugs Bunny, Scooby Doo, The Pink Panther and Superfriends).... But KI in that day and age was, to me the greatest thing since sliced bread. I don't think my kids will ever experience a park the way we did back then. Today we have cable with 180 channels (in the 70s we had 4), video games (which did not exist in 1972), DVDs and VCRs (which were virtually nonexistent in the 70s), computers and the Internet (same thing), and so many other ways for kids to entertain themselves. When I was a child, our yearly one or two trips to KI were so much better than anything else that we did. I can't think of a modern day comparison. To me that is why KI always has and always will hold a special place in my heart. And, in a way, will carry with it a saddness that my children will never experience their love of the park in the same way that I did.