Wrist...

King's Island Addict

I know that this isn't being discussed...

I broke my wrist about two weeks ago, and its in a cast until May 5th. I wanted to know if there will be any complications at the park, like the rides i could ride and if it will do more damage to my wrist. I still have control over my fingers, and its not too badly broken, but enough for the need of support from a cast.

The best person to consult would be your doctor, try giving him a call. All the rides at Kings Island have signs posted recommended guests with any type of back, neck, or bone injury refrain from riding. May 5th is not too far off, it may always be best to play it on the safe side and wait.

^Eh, well kind of. The old terminology on the signs used to say "Back, Neck, or Bone injury." Certain roller coasters allowed you to ride with a case so long as the person with the case is situated on the outside seat. With the new safety signs and new disability policy I'd imagined it is more clearly defined as each ride has certain physical restrictions but as far as casts go it seems these following rules will be chain wide this season:

In addition to the basic physical and mental requirements

defined above, each ride was evaluated relative to specific

temporary conditions which may prevent a guest from safely

riding a particular ride. Specific conditions evaluated were:

Cervical collar or neck brace

Broken collar bone

Full arm cast

Braced arm cast

Full leg cast

Bilateral abduction leg casts

That quote was taken from the Worlds of Fun website and a similar one can be found on the Cedar Point site, I imagine there will be chain wide consistency this year, unfortunately no particular information is available on Kings Islands website yet. I think you'd be fine with the case so long as its not a full arm cast, but always ask your doctor first, you don't want to end up being in the cast any longer than you have to.

I finally found the safety guide on the site, and as long as you can fit in in the car and it isn't harm to others, they are allowed.

In addition to the basic physical and mental requirements

defined above, each ride was evaluated relative to specific

temporary conditions which may prevent a guest from safely

riding a particular ride. Specific conditions evaluated were:

Cervical collar or neck brace

Broken collar bone

Full arm cast

Braced arm cast

Full leg cast

Bilateral abduction leg casts

That quote was taken from the Worlds of Fun website and a similar one can be found on the Cedar Point site, I imagine there will be chain wide consistency this year, unfortunately no particular information is available on Kings Islands website yet. I think you'd be fine with the case so long as its not a full arm cast, but always ask your doctor first, you don't want to end up being in the cast any longer than you have to.

It only goes halfway up my forearm, and its not that big, so it should be fine

Heres the problem though: You still have a broken wrist. You can do more damage to it, so ride at your own risk.

Also, even if its only half of a cast, you can still flop it into someone's face, causing harm.

I guess what Im saying is be careful.

Tom, who now, for some odd reason, feels really old.

The guide on the parks site has not been updated for the 2008 season, and does not include the dramatic changes that were made (which mainly involves the boarding pass). Your best bet is to check with Guest Relations and make sure that there is no conflict, because it all depends on the type of cast that you have. I believe the rule is that aslong as it can properly fit in the restraint, and also does not obstruct the restraint, you *should* be okay.

Cedar Fair rider admission policy; if it is same as CP, you can ride with a wrist brace/cast, as long as you are the outside rider, this is to prevent injury to another rider.

if you can shake your wrist pretty heavily, with no pain to yourself

Go for the "Level 5"s

if its a little pain...

stick to only a few "Level 4"s

if there is a lot...

you might hope to go back pre-Italian Job or uh, Backlot Stunt Coaster... to the Tiques... cuz, you're screwed until you get that off.

I agree with Tom on this subject. You are allowed to ride with your cast but you are riding at your own risk and they do post the ratings outside the ride for a reason to explain to you that the ride is extreme or mild. Most of the rides at Kings Island will give you a good bashing on your arm so just ride at your own ris if you do. There is no sense in taking a chance now and risking breaking another bone and not being able to ride all season.

You may think you'll be able to control your arm, but anything could happen. I would err on the side of caution. You only have one body, and KI will still be there on the 5th. (Man I sound like my parents, when did that happen? )

I played football for two days with two fractures in my wrist when I was in high school until the trainer barred me from practice unless I had a doctor's note. The doctor told me not to play and that if I had reeceived a similar injury while playing with the fractures, my wrist could have been shattered. The moral of the story is ask your doctor and follow his or her advice!!!!!!

Guest kwindshawne

I would wait. I had surgery in october last year-rode Vortex one last time before the end of the season. Even though I had no long effect from it, it was not a pleasant ride.

Whats two weeks? Beats a few months if you damage it further....

Guest kwindshawne
....or a lifetime, should you do nerve damage, which is unlikely but possible...

Especially if you play guitar or something like that where dexterity is a must..its not worth messing with it

As hard headed as I am, I won't do that again after surgery