Kings Island Opens TODAY! 2008 Sneak Peak, Military Discount, Season Passes & More

Spring is here! You know what that means, it's Kings Island time! Kings Island will officially kick off its 2008 season on Sunday, April 20th. With another season means an amazing new show lineup, new places to eat, history coming back to life, and more! Want to make opening the day the best it can be? Click here to read KICentral's offical opening day FAQ!

Opening day may not be until Sunday, but that doesn't mean the KICentral.com can't bring you the latest Kings Island updates a little early! We were privileged enough to be able to take some photos within the park to tempt your appetite until Sunday! Of course, everyone is now aware of the Mystery Project which is unraveling at Swan Lake in Rivertown. When asked about the construction we were issued the following statement: "The activity going in in the park reflects our continuing commitment to provide our guests with world-class thrills, fun and quality family entertainment." said Don Helbig, Public Relations Area Manager for Kings Island, "The park has not shed any specific details but early indications are that this future attraction will be nothing but spectacular! Our guests can watch it being built right before their eyes every time they visit the park this summer." Click here to see photos of the changes around Kings Island including the mystery construction at Swan Lake!

The Racer has been a staple at Kings Island since it opened with the inaugural season of the park in 1972. It was designed by the legendary roller coaster designer John Allen of the Philadelphia Toboggan Company to be Kings Island's racing coaster. Each side, labeled "Blue Racer" and "Red Racer" would compete head to head up the 88ft hill only to be plunged down an 80ft drop and through a hilly terrain of 3,415ft of track. In 1982, one side was turned backward and the trains were mixed to alternate between blue and red on each side. As history comes back to life, Kings Island has restored The Racer to its original 1972 racing grandeur. After over 25 years, the Red Racer and the Blue Racer will once again reignite the rivalry between the Red and the Blue in a forward-facing winner-take-all race to the rugged finish line. For more information about the history of The Racer as the history of Kings Island, visit KICentral.com's history section by clicking here.

If you can smell anything sweeter in the air the lingering fresh scent of Spring then you're probably smelling the fresh rolls being baked at Cinnabon. Cinnabon will be added to Kings Island's food lineup for the 2008 season. Located on International Street next to LaRosas, Cinnabon will delight the both young and young at heart with its warm dough, filled with Makara Cinnamon and topped with freshly made cream cheese frosting. You will be able to enjoy this snack before the park opens so get there early and snag the sweet taste of Cinnabon rolls before the park drops the ropes!

Kings Island is proud to salute our active members of the military with a new military discount program! Active members of the US military can receive up to six tickets at a special reduced rate at Kings Island's front gate when presenting an active military photo ID. Check out VisitKingsIsland.com for details!

Do you want the latest information sent directly to your cell phone? Sign up for KICentral's official mobile club and receive text alerts with the latest news and information about Kings Island! Signing up is fast and free! Click here for more information about KICentral's official mobile club!

You still don't have your 2008 Kings Island season pass? What are you waiting for! Purchase a 2008 season pass and get an entire summer of fun for one low price. If that's not enough, you can upgrade to a Gold Season Pass and get an exclusive parking area, special meal deals, double rides on some of your favorite attractions and much more. Still not enough? Purchase a Platinum Pass and get FREE admission and FREE parking to all Cedar Fair parks, such as Kings Island, Cedar Point, Geauga Lake's Wildwater Kingdom, Knott's Berry Farm and more! Click here for more information and to purchase a Kings Island, Kings Island Gold, or Cedar Fair Platinum Season Pass!

Is a season pass not right for you? Avoid the long lines and pay only a fraction of the regular gate admission buy purchasing your single day admission tickets on the park's official web site, VisitKingsIsland.com. Remember these deals are ONLY available through the web site, so purchase online and print at home for the best value and fastest way to experience Kings Island!

Kings Island's amazing new show lineup will consist of six shows including three new shows and some of your favorites from last year!

Making it's amazing return for the 2008 season, Endless Summer on Ice will return to the Kings Island Theatre to celebrate all good things about summer including that long awaited last day of school, summer camp, Independence Day, and more! This show is fun for all ages! The day and age when mullets were still socially acceptable, Flashback: Totally 80's! will make its debut in the International Showplace on June 21st. Enjoy some of the best pop songs from that era in this amazing song and dance spectacular! Hey kids, are you ready to join Dora and her friends on a musical adventure? See the family friendly stylings of Dora the Explorer in this family-friendly show. Dora's Sing-Along will debut on April 20th. If you want to relax and listen to the top chart hits of the summer, enjoy the return of Hot Island Rhythms at the International Bandstand. Hot Island Rhythms debuts May 24th!

If you want to strike this off the list of things that you thought would never happen, two NEW live shows will debut in the Festhaus in 2008! Enjoy your favorite dish from LaRosa's or Panda Express while enjoying two all new shows! The Country Line (debuting April 20th) will be a country revue including songs by some of the best country artists topping the charts today such as Carrie Underwood and Rascal Flatts! Of course, for the ladies, there's Girl's Night Out (debuting June 7th), a fun-filled, boot tappin' celebration of American women and music!

Are you an avid Kings Island fan or do you casually visit once a year? It doesn't matter! KICentral.com is the site for you. Why not register on the forums of KICentral and tell us about your thoughts and experiences involving Kings Island! Registration is fast, FREE, and easy. Don't forget to keep checking KICentral.com for the latest news, rumors and information about Kings Island amusement park!

Regards,

Ryan

I find it interesting that Raptor, Corkscrew and Space Spiral are on the Coke machine, does this mean Coke is going back to CP?

I hope it isn't i hate Coke, i refuse to drink any of it's products! Please CF keep Pepsi at CP and bring Pepsi to KI! It'll bring alot more money, ill buy all the drinks!

Swan Lake, or Swan Dirt Pile looks interesting, there alot of footings... there has to be something big coming!

• Like 1

Yay finally a way to play games with credit cards at the park. Where is this renovated guest relations in the old location or have they found a new spot for it.

And yes, that unfortunately is a most incorrect apostrophe on that sign. The park is not named for a King who owns an Island.... I'm sure they will fix it....

Honestly its not that big a deal, I doubt it will be changed even though it is incorrect.

Wow, that Outer Hank's sign looks tacky on the front of the restaurant. I think it's because it looks too "new" mixed in with the decrepit (in a good way) decor of ol' Bubba's.

At least now it's confirmed that Club BLOOD is returning this year for the Haunt if they're just gonna put up a big wooden fence in front of it to conceal the evil graffiti.

One question: does the cave to The Crypt still look the same as when Lara Croft used to raid it back in the heyday of tombs?

Yes, the new guest relations is in the same spot as the old guest relations. They just modified it, and provided a place for people to step inside and talk face to face with the staff, as opposed to having to talk through a window.

As far as The Beast entrance goes. That wasn`t a chain link fence right there by the Coke machines. It used to be a solid wooden fence about 48" tall, painted a dark maroon color. It will be different riding The Beast this year and entering that way.

They have removed a LOT of trees behind Wings and Oscar`s. It will be weird to see the patio of the employee cafe so visible.

I like the new wooden fences that they installed near the Rivertown Pizza. A little more attractive then the old chain fences. And, they aren`t really trying to obstruct people`s view of the construction site either with a large 8 foot high fence like they had when they were working on rides like Delirium, TR:TR, and Wild Thornberrys River Adventure.

The set for the new show in the Festhaus also looks quite nice! Hopefully it is a big hit. Its nice to see live entertainment making a come back at the park again!

And The Racer always has had chaser lights on the South side (what used to be backwards and is now the Red Racer).

I`m sure the 2008 season will be a fun filled season at Kings Island, as always!

I still can't get over how Swan MUD HOLE looks now! It's sad! Those poor geese! I hope they aren't too disgruntled......I've already been chased by one goose this year....I don't need one chasing me around KI. LOL! It is so weird to see all of those trees gone.

Yeah it doesn't look like they are trying to hide the construction at all. They just want to tease us all year until they finally make some kind of formal announcement..lol.

The changes to The Beast line look great. It looks a lot nicer without that fence there.

I'm very happy with all of the changes I see....can't wait to see them in person in just ONE MORE DAY! Woot woot! ;)

~Ash

Great Update! Did anyone notice how they have the colors under the word Racer, on the sign, on the wrong side? They have the red on the left side, but that side runs blue trains. They have the blue on the right side but that side runs red trains. But it really isn't a big deal.

I also love the new Guest Relations! Much much better than the window.

I already got my pass but need to get it made!!!!wat bout them vip jackets....is it true u can still get them??

Yes, you will still be able to redeem your VIP jacket...Remember, lines are going to be LONG tomorrow, especially for season pass processing! Be early - or prepared to wait ;)

I already got my pass but need to get it made!!!!wat bout them vip jackets....is it true u can still get them??

Yes, you will still be able to redeem your VIP jacket...Remember, lines are going to be LONG tomorrow, especially for season pass processing! Be early - or prepared to wait ;)

thank u very much how early do u think i shld get there???

thank u very much how early do u think i shld get there???

Well, this is my first opening day so I may not be the best person to answer.. But from what I've been told from people on here, the earlier the better....I plan on arriving around 9am...i believe the parking booths open around 9:15...

Chris

I'm glad to see shows coming back to the Festhaus, but with lineup of shows pardon me if I don't get excited, 80's music, country music, I know this is beating a dead horse for me, but can we please see a rock n roll show in the future, I guess the 80's show could be some rock n roll but I have a feeling it'll be more a long the line Michael Jackson, Madonna and all that Pop stuff

Ok I know I'm not happy unless I'm complaining, I can't wait for tomorrow, hope the rain holds off.

And I can't wait to watch the construction this summer!

You would think that, with the success of the School of Rock show and the Nick Celebration Parade, they would try to make some rock shows and parades of their own.

Unless, of course, it's not within their budget, or they'd save it for someplace like Cedar Point or Knott's Berry Farm. ;)

Anyway, I love the way the Crypt cave looks with the new logo and trimmings. MUST. SEE. WHAT. IS. INSIDE. :blink:

• Like 2

• 7 years later...

I find it interesting that Raptor, Corkscrew and Space Spiral are on the Coke machine, does this mean Coke is going back to CP?

I hope it isn't i hate Coke, i refuse to drink any of it's products! Please CF keep Pepsi at CP and bring Pepsi to KI! It'll bring alot more money, ill buy all the drinks!

*sigh*

The park looks good. Wow Cedar Fair removing trees, who would have thought it. Seriously what do they have against foliage?

And removing them from park maps, as well. *sigh again*

jcgoble3, cross-threading (and wishing for an ice-cold Mountain Dew to sip under a tree at Kings Island)

• Like 3