TR: Cincy Flower Show at Coney Island

CoastersRZ

I attended the Cincinnati Flower Show at Coney Island today.

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1085.jpg

There is a lot to see and do at the show, which surrounds Lake Como. The main flower exhibits are located in the Grand Marquee tent. One of the exhibits in this tent features green design strategies. Some of these strategies include a green roof and porous concrete. Porous concrete allows water to pass right through it and to the ground below, as opposed to creating storm water runoff like typical concrete or asphalt.

Besides all the flowers and exhibits in the Grand Marquee, there is lots of food to eat, including some menu items from the Biltmore estate and Cafe des Fleurs. Additionally, there is wine tasting and food tasting events throughout the show. There are also many vendors present selling their wares at the show.

I would highly recommend you make a visit to the show. Advanced tickets are on sale at area Kroger and National City Locations for $15. Tickets at the gate are $20. Children`s admission (2-15 years old) is $2 at the gate, and parking is $5. There is a free tram offering shuttle service from the parking lot to the entrance to the flower show.

For the pictures from the Cincinnati Flower Show, click here.

For more information on the Cincinnati Flower Show, visit their website at cincyflowershow.com

For the latest information on Coney Island, check out Coney Island Central.

Well, that display near the parking entrance is up year round. Some of the plantings that are located along the midway near the admin. building remain after the flower show leaves. But the site of all the big tents between Lake Como and Kellogg Avenue will be gone a week after the show is over.

That area is occasionally used for overflow parking for Riverbend concerts when a large crowd is expected.

I was at the Cincinnati Flower Show today (as a guest) and last Saturday (as a volunteer). It was a nice time. But I was disappointed that there were no rides this year because there were in previous years, and my 4-year old son kept complaining that he wanted to do the rides.

The offerings for food, wine, plants, and such were great. And the park was very well decorated.

Best regards,

Italian Chef

My family will make it again to Coney Island this season. We'll probably visit 1-3 times. If Coney had better rides, we'd get season passes to it instead of Kings Island because of geography.

C'mon Coney, build me an awesome roller coaster or two and you got me. :lol:

The Cincinnati Flower Show was at Ault Park until 2003, when it moved to Coney. The primary reason for the move, was that Coney had more parking then what Ault Park had, not to mention a larger infrastructure (like restrooms), to handle the crowds that come with the flower show.

The Cincinnati Flower Show was at Ault Park until 2003, when it moved to Coney. The primary reason for the move, was that Coney had more parking then what Ault Park had, not to mention a larger infrastructure (like restrooms), to handle the crowds that come with the flower show.

Parking was always a problem but something that everyone knew they had to deal with.

Nothing against Coney (as I've attended many fine festivals there) but it's unfortunate to see a park as unique as Ault Park lose such a special event.