worst trip to the park I ever had...

Cormaster

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow theres a bunch of ******** on this site I can tell. just browsing this thread. Probably why I don't come here a whole lot. Not everyone.

Now I can't go on by saying you are wrong because I would be lying. Yes there are some rude people on this site and the Mods including me try to keep the forums under control. I am sorry that some people are like this but you have to take into consideration that some people may actually be a nice person but just posting their opinions that you do not want to hear.

we are acctually in the process of trying to get approval for Gastric bypass surgery for her.

I hope everything goes well.

I have two "larger" friends that fit in all the rides today just fine, so there's no sympathy there. And as far as the food goes. We get our hand stamped, drive the 5 minutes to McDonald's eat, and come back for $7 a person... So you really have no sympathy from me either, not to be rude, but if your wife is having "trouble" with the ride, maybe that's a message that it's a bit too much, and some life style changes should be made... And lastly, I work in the travel industry, and there's nothing more annoying than someone making there "opinion" known too the WHOLE park in such a rude manner.

Speaking for myself, I had a very pleasant day today at KI. Cedar Fair is doing a bang up job, especially with cleanliness and ride capacity. Cannot wait until next year for you know what. (Did anyone notice the footers on the midway in Rivertown? Someone in my group pointed them out to me.) Only draw back was the unexpected cold weather. ( I didn't dress warm enough. )

I wrote my post to completly vent my frustration, because it was a rough day. I really expected it to be dead, and 10 years ago when I was in high school, prom wasn't untill may, so that totally caught me off guard, and even she said "we better go now before prom starts". As for the Paramount/Cedar Fair switch I'm still 50/50. I like some of the things they did, hate some of the other things they did.

I can agree with that. Some of their policies are hard to get used to, but when it boils down, we got a cleaner park, brighter colors, a new coaster, and bunch of new shows... not to mention a pass offering that can get you into Cedar Point too. People can say what they want about little details, but for many guests, they've done much more good than bad.

Really the harnesses, and my wife who's always had a weight problem told me she never went to Cedar Point for that very reason. I'm sure its a good thing but we can't all be 5'8 and 90 pounds like these rides are obviously created for. I mean I am not by any means skinny, I'm a pretty average slightly overweight american, but I'm 6'2 250 pounds and while I have no trouble at all riding anything, my height makes the rides somewhat uncomfortable. I'll never understand why they can't make these cars just a little bigger.

I'm 6'2 and I feel a little pain in my shoulders when I ride anything with OTSRs. Nothing too terrible, but I do agree that it's designed for something shorter than I am. Then again, if you were 5' tall, you'd get all of the head banging. As far as making this a little bigger, that's an easy assertion to make, however you and I are not experts and we don't know that having a car that's a little bigger for us would make it extremely unsafe for someone who's 5'2.

wow theres a bunch of assholes on this site I can tell. just browsing this thread. Probably why I don't come here a whole lot. Not everyone, but nothing like coming to a site to vent and being called a crybaby and a hothead. And to be told I'm not an adult. And then to insult my wife. YOu don't even know my wife wtf? I have issues quitting smoking, she has issues qutting eating because she's an emotional eater, we are acctually in the process of trying to get approval for Gastric bypass surgery for her. And I'm sorry that some of you guys can apparently control your frustration better than I can. I did hold it in pretty well for 5 rides. The I exploded.

I must admit that I'm one of the ones who run these forums and even I dread reading some users' posts because I just want to ring the necks. However you must admit that you didn't expect to get a very positive response when you went to a Kings Island fan site and griped about the park and its parent company.

I hope the other stuff works out for you. I know a lot of people who have used the ability to fit onto KI rides as a motivation to loose weight. The gastric bypass stuff is a tough road too, but it has been proven to work very well. Keep us updated.

If you truthfully honestly feel as though you have concerns that the park should hear about, call the park at 1-800-288-0808. I mean, they can't really change any safety regulations for you, but they could do a better job of explaining why they do what they do.

wow theres a bunch of ******** on this site I can tell. just browsing this thread. Probably why I don't come here a whole lot. Not everyone, but nothing like coming to a site to vent and being called a crybaby and a hothead. And to be told I'm not an adult. And then to insult my wife. YOu don't even know my wife wtf? I have issues quitting smoking, she has issues qutting eating because she's an emotional eater, we are acctually in the process of trying to get approval for Gastric bypass surgery for her. And I'm sorry that some of you guys can apparently control your frustration better than I can. I did hold it in pretty well for 5 rides. The I exploded.

With the kinda post you originally made it should of been expected. The fact that you exploded in PUBLIC around kids is just not something I put up with. I do not want to be taking my cousin who is 8 who I always take at least twice in the year and hear you yell something like you did. The treadmill was merely to say if you don't like the new policy then you need to hit the treadmill or get some more exercise to help so you can ride the ride instead of blowing up and getting pi**ed, in no way shape or form was it meant to be degrading. This is a forum, but if your going to come on here and blow up and vent this is not the place to do that IMO!

Cormaster...

Please dont ever feel like you owe any person on this website an explaination... You are a paying customer just like the rest of them and moreover you are entitled to your opinions. Just remember all the people that are pointing out how rude you are must be enjoying the gorgeous view from the glass house they are living in.

my brother's a big guy, all he has to do is "suck it in a bit" and he can fit fine. Women gain weight differently. For guys all the weights in the gut. For my wife, well most of the weight is in her bottom end and chest. when they try to put a lap bar down on her her bottome end pushes her whole body up and her chest prevents over the should restraints such as The Vortex from coming down properly. Like I said I'm a pretty large guy myself, but I have no issues at all with the riding a coaster. A women's body is just built different than a guys.

We are in the process of getting her approval for Gastric bypass. She went to a couple meetings for it, and talked to several girls who have gotten it. nearly the #1 response she got for why people got the expensive surgery, "so I could ride roller coasters again".

And She can't "hit the treadmill" so easily. In fact at one point way before we met she was an average build athletic female who was very good at basketball. At one point she went up for a rebound, and landed wrong on her feet, and totally tore up the ligaments in her ankles. She's had 3 surgeries on them since, and she really can't run at all because of it.

I think anyone who just says "she needs to make a lifestyle change" obviously has never been a smoker like me, who's had 200 "last packs" and gone 1 day, 2 days without a ciggerette, and the broke on the 3rd day. My quitting smoking and her emotional eating are the same thing. Its an addiction and it can't be easily broken. And it doesn't help she works for her crazy dad who owns a donut shop and engineering company and he stresses her out constantly with schedule changes, training of new employees, horrible pep talks, etc. In fact she was doing weight watchers a year ago and doing GREAT at it, and then her dad, who successfully switched to the 1200 calorie diet and lost like 150 pounds, told her that Weight watchers isn't a real diet, and she needs to try a 1500 or 1200 calorie diet. She listened to his advice, tried, failed, and ended up back at square one :(

Wow, that is an intresting start to this thread.

First, when it comes down to the restraints, as mentioned earlier, the park is required to go by manufacturor's standards. There is no way around this. And standards change for incidents just like this: http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachus...aster_accident/

The trains in the park have not changed from last year to this year. So being upset about the size of the trains is not a CF or Paramount issue.

Opening day is normally a packed cluster-fudge. Not only is it busy, but many times rides don't operate efficiently due to the long winter break and training of new employees. So far it sounds like all the rides were operating rather well.

It is quite funny that someone actually complained about the amount of high schoolers in the park. Only one comment can be made for that- Are you kidding me?

Yes the food prices are high. No surprise there. Food prices are high at many high volume venues. You could have brought a cooler and had sandwiches at the car, or you could have left the park, ate somewhere else that has better service, and come back. Going to eat at KI is not like going to a high-class restaurant that does not have prices on the menu, you are quite aware of what you are going to pay.

The list of issues goes on and on. And all of them have been discussed to death here all winter long. But did you seriously believe that complaining about the park being overrun with young adults all day today, and then calling people a bunch of assholes was going to get you anywhere especially about things that we were all aware of?

Overall though it was just a bad trip. Its not my first one either. I've had some of the best and worst times at Kings Island in my life, I've been going since I was 9 years old (1989). I'm not going to give up on the park, afterall, theres not really any good alternatives nearby. I could go to holiday world, ride the raven and be bored the rest of the day, or I could go to six flags Kentucky Kingdom, and ride Chang and then be bored all day, but when it comes to a complete park, Kings Island is the closest, and best choice.

I came home, wrote this, then went out with a friend to the bar to vent about my frustation to him, had a couple beers, and felt a little better.

Today was just one of those days. It really just started bad to begin with. It started with me only being able to sleep 3 hours last night before we left (I work 3rd shift) and then continued with having to wait for Jackie and her brother to get off work, then Jackie who as driving up there, missed the turn to get on to 275 and we had to go around cincy to get back on track, added like a half hour to our trip time, then we get there and her brother starts wining and crying about food, then the weather turned poor, etc... no matter what we did, or what we tried, we could not save this trip to Kings Island. It was just one thing after another, and it just didn't work out this time.

Before we left we thought we'd try to save it again, and we thought we might just fool around and have some fun. We got some blue icecream and headed over to the Viking ship...and we saw a KI employee blocking the entrance with a garbage can... that too me was a sign from god that it was just time to get out of there.

Cormaster...

Please dont ever feel like you owe any person on this website an explaination... You are a paying customer just like the rest of them and moreover you are entitled to your opinions. Just remember all the people that are pointing out how rude you are must be enjoying the gorgeous view from the glass house they are living in.

I completely agree with that. I can see why not being able to ride the attractions would be very frustrating. However the point that I think people are trying to make is that there's a way to get things done and a way to just make things worse. I think Cormaster realizes that, so that's neither here nor there.

The park is certainly going to read this thread, but like I said before, if you really feel as though you have some legitimate concerns, I'd call the 800 number I put in my last post.

I have a friend who I helped her get down from 6 cigs a day to none (In the span of one day). She didn't have a cig until weeks later, when she was at a party. She hasn't had another one since then. I know it can be hard, but once you find the right technique, it's pretty easy.

And as far as I know, the restraints on Vortex were unchanged. Anyone able to confirm this?

I do have a low opinion of high school kids. I remember how I was at that age. I was a dumb ass. And the kids I meet these days, even dumber. I have worked at lowes for 5 years now, on the Night stock crew, and I'm still the newest guy, mainly because they hire a bunch of straight out of high school 18 year old punks for our crew. They come in there, complain about everything, call in 3 out of 5 days a week, slack off and cry when a boss asks them to do something, bring illegal drugs into work, and then when they get fired or laid off, they are in their with their father claiming they didn't deserve it, and they didn't do anything wrong, and they have a lawyer and they'll sue everyone if they don't get their job back. Everyone they've hired is like that.

Cormaster...

Please dont ever feel like you owe any person on this website an explaination... You are a paying customer just like the rest of them and moreover you are entitled to your opinions.

Definitely entitled to his opinions after paying all that money but his original post and attitude were not at all constructive.

Just remember all the people that are pointing out how rude you are must be enjoying the gorgeous view from the glass house they are living in.

Yes, because all those people are all wrong, while some were rude, some very valid points were brought up. The guy had some legitimate complaints, however based on what he said I don't think his actions were constructive at all to solving the problem and help bring about a better experience, and there seem to be plenty who agree.

I do have a low opinion of high school kids. I remember how I was at that age. I was a dumb ass. And the kids I meet these days, even dumber. I have worked at lowes for 5 years now, on the Night stock crew, and I'm still the newest guy, mainly because they hire a bunch of straight out of high school 18 year old punks for our crew. They come in there, complain about everything, call in 3 out of 5 days a week, slack off and cry when a boss asks them to do something, bring illegal drugs into work, and then when they get fired or laid off, they are in their with their father claiming they didn't deserve it, and they didn't do anything wrong, and they have a lawyer and they'll sue everyone if they don't get their job back. Everyone they've hired is like that.

Bad seeds are bad seeds, but I totally understand why teenagers and kids are ****ed off all the time. If you strip away the fun and care free side of childhood that doesn't exist, you're dealing with poor people with limited access to resources and basically no civil liberties. I was ****ed at that age too.

wow theres a bunch of ******** on this site I can tell. just browsing this thread. Probably why I don't come here a whole lot. Not everyone, but nothing like coming to a site to vent and being called a crybaby and a hothead. And to be told I'm not an adult. And then to insult my wife. YOu don't even know my wife wtf? I have issues quitting smoking, she has issues qutting eating because she's an emotional eater, we are acctually in the process of trying to get approval for Gastric bypass surgery for her. And I'm sorry that some of you guys can apparently control your frustration better than I can. I did hold it in pretty well for 5 rides. The I exploded.

Hi Cormaster. It appears that you have had a pretty bad day at the park. I am so sorry to hear about that. But hey, it could always be worse. My fiances parents for example, recently recieved a letter threatening foreclosure on their new home, only because her fathers work hours very unexpectedly got cut back for a while. But hey, I'm paying to get them back ahead, and his hours are picking up again, so they should be just fine. In other words, bad, sometimes terrible days present themselves, but good things always wait around the corner. I certainly hope that your next visit will be better than this one. I fully understand that somethimes events just seem to add up very quickly, and can turn someones day around completely. So I don't want for you to think that I do not understand.

But I must stand my ground. I am not by any means a moderator of this site. However, as a repetitive visitor of KICentral I must speak for those who are. You say that many people on this site are a----l--s, and that is why you do not come here a lot. You are clearly entitled to your opinion of each individual response that you encounter while you are on this site. However, when you violate that privilege by using vulgar language, it is no longer a debate or an opinion that your choice of words is intolerable. It is now a fact. Many of the mods on this website speak their minds, from my personal viewing experience by using facts, research, and supported opinions, that may be offensive at times, but none the less are meant to make the intended reader think, rethink, and allow personal growth. There is a lot of collective experience and wisdom on KI Central. And it goes far beyond that of just an amusement park. This is why visitors such as myself continue to visit the site. Even from Florida.

I find this topic to be valid based on the facts that your opinions and your occurrances have strong points. Costs of food, Points of view about ride restraints, possible lack of professional service from park associates are examples of these. But If I may point out to you, not to be rude, but in an attempt to be helpful. A smile, and a polite approach that expresses what you do not like about a business and why, along with some positives, to help show that you are not all pessimistic, really do go a lot farther with a companies point of view than screaming obsenities in a park full of children. Because to be honest, had you been screaming in front of a child of mine, or a child in my charge, I would have probably gone to security under the impression that you may be considered a threat to the people around you. This is a serious factor that you may want to consider the next time you feel the need to go into a rage in a public place, or at home.

Once again, I hope that things work out better for you in the future.

On the 3rd operational day, at dawn, look to the east. ( lol ) I will be visiting the park with some reps. of the A.Z.A.

"Cedar Fair SUCKS SELL THE PARK BACK TO PARAMOUNT."

Still trying to figure out where the obscenities are everyone's talking about. I tend to talk like a sailor but I acctually held my language back in conversations to my family members with me. Yeah i did express my opinion about the the food, but there were no children around at that point, and its not like I screamed it. I kinda muttered that one under my breath.

Still trying to figure out where the obscenities are everyone's talking about. I tend to talk like a sailor but I acctually held my language back in conversations to my family members with me. Yeah i did express my opinion about the the food, but there were no children around at that point, and its not like I screamed it. I kinda muttered that one under my breath.

I believe some folks consider "sucks" an obscenity.

I have a friend who I helped her get down from 6 cigs a day to none (In the span of one day). She didn't have a cig until weeks later, when she was at a party. She hasn't had another one since then. I know it can be hard, but once you find the right technique, it's pretty easy.

And as far as I know, the restraints on Vortex were unchanged. Anyone able to confirm this?

Well there were seat belts on them. I didn't get a chance to go to the park last year so I don't know if those were there last year or not but there were seat belts today I remember.

I believe some folks consider "sucks" an obscenity.

Dont forget the fact that you yelled that out loud not to just your wife and or whoever else you were with. The fact that it was said out loud in a pi**ed off manor does it right there

Hi Cormaster. It appears that you have had a pretty bad day at the park. I am so sorry to hear about that. But hey, it could always be worse. My fiances parents for example, recently recieved a letter threatening foreclosure on their new home, only because her fathers work hours very unexpectedly got cut back for a while. But hey, I'm paying to get them back ahead, and his hours are picking up again, so they should be just fine. In other words, bad, sometimes terrible days present themselves, but good things always wait around the corner. I certainly hope that your next visit will be better than this one. I fully understand that somethimes events just seem to add up very quickly, and can turn someones day around completely. So I don't want for you to think that I do not understand.

You actually make a very valid point... but probably not the point that you were trying to make. Many people go to Kings Island is their big thing each summer. For a lot of local families, their one visit to Kings Island is the equivalent to a wealthier family's annual trip to Disney... and trust me, the park DOES realize that. That's a BIG reason why they're doing what they're doing this season... they could have added a throw-together thrill ride on the cheap, but they didn't. It may be hard for a lot of the people on this site to take this perspective, but they actually took the high road this year by adding shows instead. This stuff isn't cheap... but look at the outcome: let's say that Cormaster's wife isn't able to ride anything this season. The park now has something to offer her that isn't a ride. Same goes for parents with small children. I mean, what would she do two years ago if they decided to go to the park? See School of Rock five times?

People need to see KIC as a tool for getting answers and information about KI. I agree that sometimes the negativity gets out of hand on here, but your thoughts and comments are read and acted on. I do encourage you to share your thoughts and opinions with us... I just ask that you keep an open mind, especially when we're still on the tail end of a transition period. Things will work out... for the much much better...

A lot of it has to do with the context, and the manor in the way it is stated. As stated before by marlfox, you may be joking around but some one else may take it as a threat. If my daughter was with me and some one acted that way, I would call security. Finally, if it really was that bad, I would have stopped in to the newly renovated guest relations office. You certainly would have gotten a better answer to your questions than on a fan web site. As for living in a "glass house", if that means that I care about how my daughter grows up, and I encourage her to be courtias to others, then I better get the Windex out.

The Vortex and Flight deck belts were smaller and tighter, and had some weird black circles on them this year. They actually admitted that when I asked them if anything had changed this year. Son of Beast is officially now the most weight forgiving roller coaster in the place! As is Adventure Express.

Well I'm sorry I lost my temper there and on this board. I just don't like seeing my loved ones hurting. After she had to walk off top gun she acctually balled her eyes out for 10 minutes. I love my wife with all my heart, and I know The Vortex is also her favorite ride, and when she couldn't ride it, I just lost it. She really was looking foward to this trip for weeks, and out of the 5 coasters we rode, she was only able to acctually ride 2. But the good news is that she didn't miss the rides by a mile, more of a half an inch. Firehawk she was like half a click away from reaching the 2 click requirement. On top gun and The Vortex the seatbelt went in half way, just couldn't get to the point where it clicked. I think if she just lost 10 pounds...well it wouldn't help her on The Beast, Racer, or FoF, but everything else she'd be fine on.

The Vortex and Flight deck belts were smaller and tighter, and had some weird black circles on them this year. They actually admitted that when I asked them if anything had changed this year. Son of Beast is officially now the most weight forgiving roller coaster in the place! As is Adventure Express.

I don't think the seat belt lengths changed at all, and the black loops added to them are called "courtesty loops" and are there to make it easier for employees to check.

I am saddened to hear that you had a bad day at the park. Sometimes Things can get off to a bumpy start. With the seatbelt situation I have made the walk of shame many times myself. Cedar Fair tends to err on the side of caution when making requirements for seatbelts. In our sue happy society this has to happen. Nothing made me madder than trying to ride Vortex last year and being denied. I was mad but it is now a goal to be able to ride it when i make it down later this year.

The weather is going to be nice the next few days. Walk with her and try to help her. 10 turns into 15 and so on rather quickly if you have help.

As for the food. Everything has gone up these days and there is only so much cost they can eat while still trying to make money. Yeah I know the markup on crap is bad but hey you gotta make money somehow!

I am saddened to hear that you had a bad day at the park. Sometimes Things can get off to a bumpy start. With the seatbelt situation I have made the walk of shame many times myself. Cedar Fair tends to err on the side of caution when making requirements for seatbelts. In our sue happy society this has to happen. Nothing made me madder than trying to ride Vortex last year and being denied. I was mad but it is now a goal to be able to ride it when i make it down later this year.

The weather is going to be nice the next few days. Walk with her and try to help her. 10 turns into 15 and so on rather quickly if you have help.

As for the food. Everything has gone up these days and there is only so much cost they can eat while still trying to make money. Yeah I know the markup on crap is bad but hey you gotta make money somehow!

yeah it was one of those days it really was. It started off bad and just got worse. In fact the only good things about our trip was our one ride of SOB (I nearly love that coaster as much as the 'tex) and getting some of KI's trademark blueberry ice cream. Every single attempt to save the day just made things worse. I had some trips to KI that started out rough but I ended up happy. Not this day. In fact I gotta post the irony again.

After Jackie got denied her ride on The Vortex and I got off the ride, we headed over to meet up with both our bro's in Nick Universe. We got some blueberry ice cream there, calmed down a bit, caught a breath, and me and my bro smoked a cig, then we decied instead of eating at wings diner for dinner as planned, we'd go back home and eat some higher quality buffet food that didn't cost as much at the Old Country Buffet! We decided though maybe there was still time left, maybe we could save the day, and we decided to head over to the viking ship... and thats where we saw a KI employee standing in front with a garbage can blocking the entrance. I turned to my family members and said " alright, thats our sign from god there. Lets get out of here!" and we took off. I almost laughed at that one. Just the irony of it.

Some times when I deal with personal problems, I turn to others. My favorite other is a place called the quotations page. http://www.quotationspage.com/ It always has some thing to make you think, and thinking calms me down. Every one handles situations different, that is a given. The objective is to do it without scaring or offending others, that is not easy to do. I wish you and your wife best of luck, and don't give up.

I put some of the quotes on the fridge.

My favorite quote:

"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self"

Aldous Huxley

(Also look below at the first two in my sig.)