worst trip to the park I ever had...

Cormaster

Maybe KI should start putting a seat out in front of the ride line like at Cedar Point on Flight Deck and Vortex, and let the public know the restraint system has changed over the years. Standing in line for a ride only not to be able to ride it must suck, but they do have laws, people tend to be "Sue" happy and KI has to cover there ass.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ You think that KI is going to be sued for changing a restraint system for safety reasons?

What would the complaint be?

NO NO NO, The restraint system is there to cover Kings Island. They are not going to get sued for the restraint system, now they might of if someone got hurt on one of these rides and they didn't have it. The Scrambler is one of my favorite rides, and it date's back to the 50's as far as they ride design goes, but they too have seat belts now, Kings Island is just trying real hard to keep everyone safe.

Guest kwindshawne
my brother's a big guy, all he has to do is "suck it in a bit" and he can fit fine. Women gain weight differently. For guys all the weights in the gut. For my wife, well most of the weight is in her bottom end and chest. when they try to put a lap bar down on her her bottome end pushes her whole body up and her chest prevents over the should restraints such as The Vortex from coming down properly. Like I said I'm a pretty large guy myself, but I have no issues at all with the riding a coaster. A women's body is just built different than a guys.

We are in the process of getting her approval for Gastric bypass. She went to a couple meetings for it, and talked to several girls who have gotten it. nearly the #1 response she got for why people got the expensive surgery, "so I could ride roller coasters again".

And She can't "hit the treadmill" so easily. In fact at one point way before we met she was an average build athletic female who was very good at basketball. At one point she went up for a rebound, and landed wrong on her feet, and totally tore up the ligaments in her ankles. She's had 3 surgeries on them since, and she really can't run at all because of it.

I think anyone who just says "she needs to make a lifestyle change" obviously has never been a smoker like me, who's had 200 "last packs" and gone 1 day, 2 days without a ciggerette, and the broke on the 3rd day. My quitting smoking and her emotional eating are the same thing. Its an addiction and it can't be easily broken. And it doesn't help she works for her crazy dad who owns a donut shop and engineering company and he stresses her out constantly with schedule changes, training of new employees, horrible pep talks, etc. In fact she was doing weight watchers a year ago and doing GREAT at it, and then her dad, who successfully switched to the 1200 calorie diet and lost like 150 pounds, told her that Weight watchers isn't a real diet, and she needs to try a 1500 or 1200 calorie diet. She listened to his advice, tried, failed, and ended up back at square one :(

My cousin is 6 foot 4, and was born heavy. Went through hell in school because of his weight. After years of that, he got depressed, ate comfort food, and hit 450. The doctor told him if he didn't have it, he would die. So he had the surgery, and 3 years later he is average size, happy, and got married last year. The only dietary change he had to make was he wasn't able to drink soda for 6 months afterwards. It was a complete success for him. I also had another friend who had it done and the only change he had to make was no more draft beer :blink:

Seriously though, I hope your insurance approves it, I know several people that had it done and it has been life changing for them. I am currently trying to convince my boyfriend to do it as it prevents him from enjoying life. I know there is some exercise involved, but walking around the park should cover that. :)

I quit smoking 14 years ago, and let me tell you even though I hate the smell of it now, every once in a while I still get a craving, but it usually passes within 5 minutes.

Hang in there...I for one understand what you're going through.

This is just a side note, but if anyone here who smokes, wants motivation to quit smoking, I recomend visiting the Bodies exihibit at the museum center.

Talk about a wake up call. They have a section that shows all of the thousands of air pockets in your lungs that get clogged with tar as you smoke. In addition, there is a part where a worker is holding a preserved lung of a smoker and, well you can probably imagine that it was in pretty rough shape. The exihibit was amazing but also made you tingle seeing the different parts of your body like that. I can honestly say, that I could NEVER take up smoking after seeing the effects of it presented in that way.

For some reason, the majority of displays have lungs that were smokers and it is very very apparent the affects between the non-smokers and the smokers.

I don't think the seat belt lengths changed at all, and the black loops added to them are called "courtesty loops" and are there to make it easier for employees to check.

And thank the heavens it WAS changed.. no more accidental "reach and grab"s... happens all the time, more often than not, especially later in the season.

deb

Maybe KI should start putting a seat out in front of the ride line like at Cedar Point on Flight Deck and Vortex, and let the public know the restraint system has changed over the years. Standing in line for a ride only not to be able to ride it must suck, but they do have laws, people tend to be "Sue" happy and KI has to cover there ass.

Thats exactly what I've been saying! We waited in line for Firehawk for an hour and a half yesturday only for Jackie to have to walk off when we got to the end. Back with the SOB had its old cars and its loop, my brother waited 2 1/2 hours one time to ride it, only to not be able to fit in the harness once he got up there. I think honestly it would save people a lot of time and frustration if they just put a whole seat w/ saftey harness up front so you could try first before you waste your time!

I do remember back when the King Cobra was around they had the a sample harness at the front of the ride

I strongly agree that all the major rides should have test seats installed at the beginning of the queue (like Delirium and the Crypt do).

That being said, I must say my experience on opening day differed widely from yours:

* As someone who has walked the walk of shame on two major types of coasters (INTAMIN Impulse Coasters and INTAMIN flying coasters), it was quite refreshing to get SIX clicks on Firehawk. Four on Beast. Weight reduction can be done...it is a slow and sometimes tedious process. If gastric bypass is what it takes, so be it. I have had many friends have that (and others, the lap band surgery). It is effective, if the patient is strongly motivated to attain and retain the results.

* I was pleasantly surprised at the food at Outer Hanks. For less than $8.50, I had a delicious chicken club sandwich, fries and what might have been 1/4 serving of delightful slaw. Free ice water, too. That being said, I had surveyed all the park's offerings before selecting what to eat. Many of the offerings were at prices I wouldn't gladly pay...but good food at reasonable prices is available at Kings Island, you just have to select carefully. Not unlike most other parks I go to. Do I think the park is overpricing itself in the food arena? Yes. Do I think it impossible to find anything to eat at fairly reasonable prices? No. Outer Hanks also offered Montgomery Inn ribs, slaw and fries for $9.99. This is a VERY reasonable price, anywhere.

* It is very frustrating to not fit a ride. To put it mildly. But blaming the parks' employees or even its owner is very unfair. As others have pointed out here again and again, Cedar Fair has NO choice but to follow manufacturer's recommendations as to restraints. This is the law in Ohio (also, as to any other ride related safety recommendation). If Paramount Parks owned the parks today, I highly doubt the restraints would be any different (other than, perhaps, the black courtesy loop on the seat belts, which does NOT affect their length or restraining function). Cedar Fair cares for your safety (and that of every guest). As did Paramount Parks, as does any responsible park operator. And for that they should not have to apologize.

Haven't gotten a chance to visit the park yet this year. Last year though four clicks was as far as the lap bars could go down. It is possible for a guest to be seated with four clicks. In the past the bars would go all the way down to the cushion of the seat and could yield some painful rides. Since then all those bars have been replaced by thicker, newer ones.

I am so sick of people complaining that things need to change because of YOUR weight! There are many reasonable ways to lose weight! It's called eating right, and getting exercise! If the park starts changing to fit EXTREMELY heavy set people, then pretty soon smaller people won't even be able to ride because the restraints would have to be so huge! Don't complain for people to change things for you. Change yourself! Not trying to be mean, but it's the truth!

I am so sick of people complaining that things need to change because of YOUR weight! There are many reasonable ways to lose weight! It's called eating right, and getting exercise! If the park starts changing to fit EXTREMELY heavy set people, then pretty soon smaller people won't even be able to ride because the restraints would have to be so huge! Don't complain for people to change things for you. Change yourself! Not trying to be mean, but it's the truth!

Then the smaller people can just be eaten.

Problem solved.......

Problem solved.......

Hahahaha.....one question I have....as someone who has smoked maybe 5 cigarettes in my entire life (a few times socially at parties), why is quitting them so hard?!?! I seriously can't seem to grasp this concept for some reason?? In addition, those few cigs I had were really nasty and gave me a headache!! (keep in mind, I'm definitely NOT referring to anything "green" in color, which I haven't really done that much either, but that experience is actually pretty good!!) ;)

Problem solved.......

Hahahaha.....one question I have....as someone who has smoked maybe 5 cigarettes in my entire life (a few times socially at parties), why is quitting them so hard?!?! I seriously can't seem to grasp this concept for some reason?? In addition, those few cigs I had were really nasty and gave me a headache!! (keep in mind, I'm definitely NOT referring to anything "green" in color, which I haven't really done that much either, but that experience is actually pretty good!!) ;)

Well, honestly, I've never had a cigarette. But from what I understand those that do fall into a couple different categories. Some are truly addicted. What that means is that the body not only craves but would seem to need the chemicals and nicotine that is in the cigarettes. In turn, there are just some that enjoy them.

Nicotine addiction is a real and physical addiction. Food addiction is more psychological, EXCEPT, one MUST eat at least some to live...one can live without smoking. That's one reason why weight loss is so difficult. Moderation is not just a choice, but a requirement. There's no quitting cold turkey, so to speak (horrid pun not intended, honest!)

But what about adjustable restraints? What I don't understand like with the seatbelts on The Vortex and top gun, is why those seatbelts don't stretch, or have an adjusting strap on them or something.

BTW Smoking addiction is hard because you are fighting 2 addictions: Mental and Physical. Mentally if things get rough while your trying to quit you crave a ciggerrette. Physically, well me for instance when I go a day without smoking I get real light headed, and I have a hard time focusing, my blood vessels in my eyes feel like they are about to explode... there definitly is a physical withdrawl for me. I wish I had never started this horrid habit

Nicotine addiction is a real and physical addiction. Food addiction is more psychological, EXCEPT, one MUST eat at least some to live...one can live without smoking. That's one reason why weight loss is so difficult. Moderation is not just a choice, but a requirement. There's no quitting cold turkey, so to speak (horrid pun not intended, honest!)

Honestly, there is very little that is easy.

It's all a matter of how bad you want something.

There are some days that I really don't want to go to the gym after a long day of work.

But generally I do it.

HAHAHAHA!!!....while NOT intended...that laugh really brightened what's otherwise a dark basement in my mother's house!! (where most bloggers live!!) :D

But what about adjustable restraints? What I don't understand like with the seatbelts on The Vortex and top gun, is why those seatbelts don't stretch, or have an adjusting strap on them or something.

That would be good, but I'm guessing the reason they can't do that is, that they have to follow certain safety restrictions. Probably the same reason the bars that were on The Racer got changed to the current ones. It all has to do with the safety regulations the park follows, allowing for a safer park.

Tickettoride08 – Welcome to the forums glad you are here.

May I suggest to you to send Cornmaster a private message by clicking his name and clicking “Send Message”, I say this because I have read some negative comments from some fellow posters and I would rather Cornmaster or yourself to be more frank with each other without fear of others negativities. Again glad you are here and hope you enjoy your visits to Kings Island.

* It is very frustrating to not fit a ride. To put it mildly. But blaming the parks' employees or even its owner is very unfair. As others have pointed out here again and again, Cedar Fair has NO choice but to follow manufacturer's recommendations as to restraints. This is the law in Ohio (also, as to any other ride related safety recommendation). If Paramount Parks owned the parks today, I highly doubt the restraints would be any different (other than, perhaps, the black courtesy loop on the seat belts, which does NOT affect their length or restraining function). Cedar Fair cares for your safety (and that of every guest). As did Paramount Parks, as does any responsible park operator. And for that they should not have to apologize.

Do the manufacturer's recommendations change from year to year on the same ride, though? Two years ago I rode IJST without a problem but at the beginning of the 2007 season I could not ride with the same restraints even though I had not gained any weight nor changed body shape. And by halfway through the season, again without any weight change, I was once again allowed to ride. While I did not blame the ride operator, it was frustrating to wait in line and then have to get off of the ride in front of everyone for what seemed to be an arbitrary policy change. And if it was a change from Paramount's standards to CF's, why was I able to ride mid-season without any changes on my part?

I didn't think the park was all that packed honestly.. Sure it was kind of busy, but it wasnt terrible either.

That's what I was thinking! We didn't end up getting there until about 12:15....we had to wait in the season pass line after that for about 45 minutes, but once we got in I honestly didn't think the park was "packed". When I think of the park as being packed I think of the days when people used to park in the grass all the way in the back and the entire parking lot is full. Our wait time on all of the rides was really minimal. Top Gun was maybe about a 10 minute wait. SoB was about 45 minutes. I think the longest we waited was for Firehawk and not even half of the turnstyles were full. We walked by FoF and they said it was about an hour wait so we walked away and went on Vortex instead. We walked right on BLSC at the end of the night. Beast was maybe 5 minutes. I definitely didn't view it as being "crowded". Yeah there were some annoying people there, but there are annoying people everywhere! I don't really care....I'm not much older than a high school kid myself. The only time I got really annoyed was when there were high school kids behind us that kept repeatedly bumping into us and never said sorry. For literally 45 mins straight while we were waiting for SoB. But you can't really expect high school kids to not come to the park!

As for the food....we packed our lunches and ate in the parking lot before we came in. Ice water is free! We ate at Skyline for dinner and my cousin and I each got 2 cheese coneys....my mom and brother each got 4-ways and we filled up our two souvenir cups and it was only about 20 bucks. For 4 people that was pretty good. You just have to find the right place! It's always cheaper just to leave the park and get your hand stamped. There are fast food places and even Frisch's and Perkins which would be cheaper than eating in the park. There are a lot of ways to avoid paying high prices for food. By the way thanks everyone for the info on the Wings Buffet. I'm always wary of eating at buffets because the food is never that great but it does sound like a good value if you want a lot of food.

I was pretty happy with my overall experience! THe park looks GREAT of course. The only thing that sucked was the weather....I didn't dress warm enough either! We got on every major ride except for Delirium and FoF in about 6 1/2 hours! We even had time to go ride The Beastie and a couple of flat rides.

As for the restraint thing....I can see why you would be frustrated but you can't make outbursts like that in the park with kids around. You just have to help your wife out and maybe both of you can quit your addictions together. I am a smoker too and I know how hard it is....I still haven't been able to quit! And of course I can't say I don't love food! But like you said she only needs to lose 10 pounds to fit in Vortex and after she loses the first 10 she will get a huge boost of confidence and it will get easier. She'll think oh well if I can lose enough weight to ride the rides I want to, then how far can I go? Just be positive! And walking around KI all day isn't a bad way to exercise either!

We had a lot of fun on opening day. My mom was pretty upset about Swan Lake but hopefully she'll be happy once we all figure out what's going in its place! I love how they put those potted plants on top of all of the footers. They're trying to hide them! LOL!

I hope everyone else had an enjoyable first day at the park...I know we did!

~Ash

The way people act now in the parks has gotten so bad that they are either banned or have the Season Passes revoked for the year. I have seen people took out due to them yelling and all that. The workers do have the right to call the KI Police if need be. This went for everything even picture taking on rides. The prices at the parks which is everyone not just Cedar Fair is due to raising gas prices. It seems no one thinks about it or looks up to see the changes. We had to raise our food prices at the hospitals in Columbus due to the companys raising them. And never look at the weather 2 days before you go. It changes very offten lol. I had a cousin who was overweight and use to be able to ride Millie Force till they did the slack rule. I told him if you cant its no biggie and when we come back you will be able to ride. We came back about 2 months later after loosing weight and he was able to ride. I agree with the post about the state. They have to keep up with the laws or be fined and shut down. The best times to go to KI is during the week before school lets out or when its cold.

Wait, how do rising gas prices affect park food prices going up? Where's the correlation?

The price of gas goes up. The food companys who have to pay to fill up raise the food prices to help pay for the rise in gas costs even if the gas they use is 4.19 right now. So the parks raise the price of the food cause the companys raise the prices of the food they bring to the parks. So what i am saying that if the food companys who bring the food to the parks raise there prices, the parks have to raise theres to cover for paying the high prices the companys charge them.