Opening Day Problems

chuck

Guest kwindshawne
Exactly, I was actually at Moe's a couple months ago to pick up lunch. This guy that was in front of me was just chewing this teenage guy out like I've rarely seen before. Soooooo, being the one to mind my own business <G>, I looked at the guy and just asked him if it made him feel like a big man by chewing out a kid. LOL, the guy was shocked and his wife directed him to his seat.

I can not stand it when someone blames some line worker for something out of their control.

I'm sure that kid appreciated what you did, and kudos to you for sticking up for him. On the smoking issue-you wouldn't believe how indignant some of them get when you ask them to put it out-last year, one guy hit me in the chest with the lit butt; another looked me square in the eye and put it out in his hand. Needless to say, I was not impressed-but it goes to show how big some a******* get.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess some don't understand, I know where the Gold Pass lot is, and alot of you know where the Gold Pass lot is, but you cannot go straight into the lot when you enter the parking area, you have to drive to the left of the Gold lot along the orange cones that stop you from going into the Gold area, continue along to the front of the roadway, go past the Main Sign and the pop machines, hang a left into the General parking area, following people from out of town who don't know where they are or where they want to park at. Come to a stop sign and try and turn right while alot of people are trying to cross the street with their kids at the entrance to the Handicapped parking area. Continue driving back towards the gate you originally came into and turn right again at the Gold lot entrance, just to enter. Seems a bit much, when the simple thing to do is come into the parking area and drive maybe 300 feet straight into the Gold lot and park your car. No confusion, No crossing pedestrian areas, no following lost patrons...

Ok -- I got an official answer to the parking thing:

Gold Pass Parking is conveniently located in the center of the parking lot. There's good and not-so-good things associated with that. The best part of it is how you don't have to walk 50 miles to and from your car and it's easy to find. Unfortunately the spot where it is located is a high traffic area and the parking lot attendants route traffic the long way into the Gold Pass area in order to lesson the interaction of cars and foot traffic. It's a safety thing. I realize that it's inconvenient, but it is what it is, and definitely worth doing in the interest of safety. This routing is only done during the first few hours of the parking lot being open, then the Gold Pass detour opens immediately to the left of the South Tolls.

The biggest thing we saw were people smoking EVERYWHERE in the park.

deb

I saw a few people smoking along the pathways too. I'm a smoker and I managed to find the designated areas..lol! While I was standing near the one behind Festhaus I noticed this woman walking past Delirium smoking and some guy said "hey the smoking area is over there,lady" and she just gave him a dirty look, looked around at the people she was with and started making fun of him and talking about him as he walked away. Then she continued to walk and smoke. I was just staring at them like seriously lady, it's like TEN feet to your right, just walk over here and finish it! Some people are so rude. Yeah it's an inconvenience to have to find one of the areas but not everyone wants to breathe that in! I know it's disgusting! I don't know why some people have to be so lazy. Oh and the FIFTY million trashcans they put out around the park....I still saw people throwing their trash everywhere. We saw like 3 cups laying in the grass in line for SoB about 2 feet from a trashcan. There was a younger girl walking in front of us on Int. Street and dropped trash in the middle of the path, looked back at it, and then kept walking. My mom got so angry! And her parents saw it and didn't even say anything. I just wish people would take the time to realize that if EVERYONE in the park acted like that then Kings Island would look scummy and dirty and then those SAME people would probably complain that the park was trashy. Ugh. Sometimes you just want to do the V8 BOP on some people's foreheads.

~Ash

Ha... I was in Coney Mall and I saw some kid throw a napkin at a trash can and miss and kept walking away in a very cavalier way. I was right behind him and said, "100,000 trash cans in this park and you still throw it on the ground?" He laughed and said, "you're right" and got it and threw it away.

It is a safety problem and a waste of gas. The traffic pattern needs to be re-evaluated. When you enter the lot, if you have a Gold Pass, you should be able to show the guard standing there where the cones start and he should allow you to go straight into the Gold lot, not drive all around and tie things up as others have also noted.... Once in the Gold lot, there wasn't a problem, just getting there . I love Cincinnati, but I don't need a tour of it just to get into the parking lot.

Cry a little more it will help.

Ha... I was in Coney Mall and I saw some kid throw a napkin at a trash can and miss and kept walking away in a very cavalier way. I was right behind him and said, "100,000 trash cans in this park and you still throw it on the ground?" He laughed and said, "you're right" and got it and threw it away.

I know! It's not that hard! I accidentally dropped my gum on the ground (while I was trying to open a new piece) and I almost got ran over and trampled trying to backtrack to pick it up! LOL! Seriously people are just plain lazy and don't appreciate anything.

~Ash

Gold Pass Parking is conveniently located in the center of the parking lot. There's good and not-so-good things associated with that. The best part of it is how you don't have to walk 50 miles to and from your car and it's easy to find. Unfortunately the spot where it is located is a high traffic area and the parking lot attendants route traffic the long way into the Gold Pass area in order to lesson the interaction of cars and foot traffic. It's a safety thing. I realize that it's inconvenient, but it is what it is, and definitely worth doing in the interest of safety. This routing is only done during the first few hours of the parking lot being open, then the Gold Pass detour opens immediately to the left of the South Tolls.

By doing it the way they do, you are forced to engage far more "Foot Traffic" and create more backups in the "High Traffic Area". By doing it the proper way, you would not encounter any foot traffic and would lessen congestion in the general area. So where is the safety?

I will keep crying about this until it is done right. My kids and some of yours have to cross this "High Traffic Area"; I've seen people run the stop sign and not even a care that kids are there.

If you don't like my crying; then don't read the blog.

By doing it the way they do, you are forced to engage far more "Foot Traffic" and create more backups in the "High Traffic Area". By doing it the proper way, you would not encounter any foot traffic and would lessen congestion in the general area. So where is the safety?

I will keep crying about this until it is done right. My kids and some of yours have to cross this "High Traffic Area"; I've seen people run the stop sign and not even a care that kids are there.

If you don't like my crying; then don't read the blog.

Ahhhhh.....

So you're saying, "Do it for the children!"

I don't see too many ways you can direct traffic towards gold pass parking without encountering some foot traffic. When was the last time you heard on the news that someone was in the parking lot and struck by a vehicle while walking towards the park? I would have to say to just take a chill pill. I am sure there are some new security folks out there that are still learning the traffic patterns so give them awhile and maybe they will come up with something that suits the situation better. Either way, the poster complaining about this needs to file complaints correctly and not "chew someone out." You are lucky you didn't get turned right back around and sent home depending on your language use.

As for the smoking, sometimes not everyone smoking where they aren't supposed to will be caught. There is a lot of folks out there who do go to the designated areas, but there are some who completely ignore the rules. That happens in just about everything in life. I have seen security give warnings to guests about smoking and have them move to designated areas, but there only so many of them and tens of thousands of guests on a given day.

I haven't chewed anyone out! and I tried going through the proper channels, but you get a pre-scripted response when you call relations. Did you hear about the toddler yesterday that was run over by her neighbor? Not far from what is going on at Kings Island. This is an accident waiting to happen. Why wait for the outcome when it can be corrected now?

I haven't chewed anyone out! and I tried going through the proper channels, but you get a pre-scripted response when you call relations. Did you hear about the toddler yesterday that was run over by her neighbor? Not far from what is going on at Kings Island. This is an accident waiting to happen. Why wait for the outcome when it can be corrected now?

Yeah, I was getting riffed for complaining here too. I did email KI and amazingly got a response back that same day from Don. I really wish they would let gold/handicap parking just shoot to the right and go the 50 feet to the spots not 500 feet and create more havok. Here is his response.

Thank you for contacting us with your question regarding parking at Kings Island. Safety has been, is now and will always be our top priority. As a result, to avoid conflict between pedestrians and vehicles, we direct vehicles entering the parking lot in a way that is the safest for our guests. In addition, we are providing a service to our guests in the morning by parking them in the spots that are closest to the Front Gate. We are constantly reviewing all aspects of our operation, including parking, and have been discussing ways to improve the access into the Gold Pass and Handicapped parking areas. Please contact me should you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Don Helbig

Area Manager, Public Relations

Kings Island

I have a lot of positives to share in my upcoming trip report but a few things could be improved on and the parking direction is bad and in my opinion VERY unsafe. In fact as we were walking across the street by the pedestrian walkway to the front gates, one guests was getting very agitated that a car was not slowing down as if he was not going to stop at the stop sign so the guy walked out any way, then the guy in the car acted like he was going to hit him anyway. Well that started some verbal jabs, I said to the guy walking do not let that guy ruin your day, he said your right and walked on.

POSSIABLE SOLUTION; I would suggest if they are going to route guest west of the Gold Lot Parking, they should put an attendant at the west end of the Gold Lot and let Gold pass members in the lot from the west end while they are sending guests to the other side. I think that will solve most of that problem, and not force a lot of Gold Pass members to go all the way around and be forced to drive that center drive as guest are crossing the street(Very unsafe).

I did not state that you were the one yelling at anyone. Though it is sad that a toddler was almost run over, it is a little bit of an unfair comparison. No matter where people are with moving vehicles there are potential dangers. Point being though, I can not remember a time where I have heard of someone being struck in the parking lot by a vehicle when the person was just walking to the front gate. There will never be a 100% full proof plan to keep an accident from occuring. Imagine how many cars go in and out of those gates during the year. I would say KI's parking lot safety record is very respectable. I, personally, don't mind a few extra minutes in the parking lot to go with the program and ensure everyone's safety.

Well, I don't know of anyone being hit but I've seen some close calls. When you drive down that main driveway between the gold pass lot and the entrance, people dart in front of you. It's scary. I think a traffic/crosswalk light or a security officer stopping traffic to let people cross would solve this problem. That could be done at no cost because they always have two or three security people making sure noone cuts through the cones, they could just move one of them to the driveway to direct traffic.

When I went opeing day,at the end of the day we got on The Racer and rode it 15 times in a row,but about 6 times we saw this person getting arrested.Does anyone know why?

If it is the same person who was waiting for the front seat of the Red Racer about seven o’clock: Then I can only offer my observation as I was waiting right next to him and his wife (assumption). When I walked up I noticed the operator was taking her time and not dispatching the trains with the Blue Racer and in fact she would talk with the checkers just to slow things down. I spoke up to the guy and his wife about how they where dragging things down. Well as the guy started to speak I figured out what was wrong he started speaking loudly ( not yelling) about how great Cedar Fair is now because they sell beer all over the park and could care less if they had a no smoking policy because he doesn’t smoke. He then but his weight on his right leg and almost fell to the ground, I could see that he was really drunk and at some point hurt his leg maybe from a fall. The operator would not let a train come back into the station until security came up as they where the next to be loaded. When security got there they asked him politely to get out of line and talk to them. The train then came in and out I went, nice smooth ride on the front (in case you where wondering). When I got back to the station they where walking him and his wife down the exit slowly because of his knee as I was walking right behind them I could see a KI security vehicle parked on a dirt part by an employee exit. They told him to go with them to the vehicle but told his wife that she would need to go a different way as the vehicle looked full. He was not yelling and cursing or anything they were not struggling with him and he did not have hand cuffs on him. I knew he was extremely intoxicated and thought maybe they needed to get him away from the general public and because of his knee they would give him a ride to where ever they felt they needed too. I don’t think he was arrested from my point of view.

HTH

P.S. I witnessed an employee being taken down The Beast exit on a stretcher, I hope he is ok now and doing well.

On the season drink cups. The ones I saw opening day were the same ones they handed out last year. We asked one of the food workers at Larosa's if it was the cup for the coming year and she said yes.

Think I am going to bring last year's back with me and see if it can still be used. Just need a new top and straw!

Anyone else notice that?

At Six Flags, refills can only be made in the current year's (and park's) cups.

At Cedar Fair, I am told, the rule is you can get a refill in any year's cups. I've been told that on this site by several people.

Interestingly, though Six Flags souvenir cups cost nearly twice as much to start with, refills cost less than half as much, and are free on the day of purchase (only).

Yeah, I was getting riffed for complaining here too. I did email KI and amazingly got a response back that same day from Don. I really wish they would let gold/handicap parking just shoot to the right and go the 50 feet to the spots not 500 feet and create more havok. Here is his response.

Thank you for contacting us with your question regarding parking at Kings Island. Safety has been, is now and will always be our top priority. As a result, to avoid conflict between pedestrians and vehicles, we direct vehicles entering the parking lot in a way that is the safest for our guests. In addition, we are providing a service to our guests in the morning by parking them in the spots that are closest to the Front Gate. We are constantly reviewing all aspects of our operation, including parking, and have been discussing ways to improve the access into the Gold Pass and Handicapped parking areas. Please contact me should you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Don Helbig

Area Manager, Public Relations

Kings Island

One thing that I can assure you is that every inquiry into the park will get a response. You may or may not like the response you get, but each one is a unique response, not some sort of template email. Same even went for The Racer when it was turned around. They got hundreds of emails a day about it, and many many responses were written and many phone calls were made.

You did however do the right thing. If you really have an issue with the way things are done at Kings Island, contacting the park is the best way to do something about it. They do respect everyones' opinions and make logs of every phone call and email they get. You may be the only person who had a problem with the parking situation, but you also may be one of 1,000 which would make the park reevaluate the situation and hopefully come up with something better. It's a much better solution than some other people who choose to troll the forums and can't stand it when other people don't share their solution.

When I went opeing day,at the end of the day we got on The Racer and rode it 15 times in a row,but about 6 times we saw this person getting arrested.Does anyone know why?

If it is the same person who was waiting for the front seat of the Red Racer about seven o’clock: Then I can only offer my observation as I was waiting right next to him and his wife (assumption). When I walked up I noticed the operator was taking her time and not dispatching the trains with the Blue Racer and in fact she would talk with the checkers just to slow things down. I spoke up to the guy and his wife about how they where dragging things down. Well as the guy started to speak I figured out what was wrong he started speaking loudly ( not yelling) about how great Cedar Fair is now because they sell beer all over the park and could care less if they had a no smoking policy because he doesn’t smoke. He then but his weight on his right leg and almost fell to the ground, I could see that he was really drunk and at some point hurt his leg maybe from a fall. The operator would not let a train come back into the station until security came up as they where the next to be loaded. When security got there they asked him politely to get out of line and talk to them. The train then came in and out I went, nice smooth ride on the front (in case you where wondering). When I got back to the station they where walking him and his wife down the exit slowly because of his knee as I was walking right behind them I could see a KI security vehicle parked on a dirt part by an employee exit. They told him to go with them to the vehicle but told his wife that she would need to go a different way as the vehicle looked full. He was not yelling and cursing or anything they were not struggling with him and he did not have hand cuffs on him. I knew he was extremely intoxicated and thought maybe they needed to get him away from the general public and because of his knee they would give him a ride to where ever they felt they needed too. I don’t think he was arrested from my point of view.

I saw the two getting escorted down the exit when i got off red racer. I could tell the operators on both sides were trying to help the security staff out anyway they could because when the train i was supposed to get on came in the station they unloaded the train and didnt open the gates for about 5 minutes.

P.S. I witnessed an employee being taken down The Beast exit on a stretcher, I hope he is ok now and doing well.

Always hate to see something like that happen, depending if Gabe (aka Captain Nemo) was there or not maybe he can offer some insight on the incident.

At Six Flags, refills can only be made in the current year's (and park's) cups.

At Cedar Fair, I am told, the rule is you can get a refill in any year's cups. I've been told that on this site by several people.

Interestingly, though Six Flags souvenir cups cost nearly twice as much to start with, refills cost less than half as much, and are free on the day of purchase (only).

Okay, I have now received several PM's from people who attempted to refill last year's cups at Kings Island last weekend, and failed. I also have received a link to THIS at Kings Dominion's website:

...2008 Kings Dominion Souvenir Cup and Refill Program

Kings Dominion Souvenir Cups purchased during the 2008 season will be eligible for the Discount Refill program. Sorry, no cups purchased in previous years will be eligible for this program...

Last thing on this page: http://www.kingsdominion.com/attractions/c...ry.cfm?ac_id=34

Interestingly, that level of detail for Kings Island's restaurants is not available on its webpage.

Ok, what is a Kings Dominion Souvenir Cup? I didn't see one of those at the park anywhere!

They are still selling the two cups from last year.... and the cups don't have dates on them!

OK, The link in the post above is from Kings Dominion in VIRGINIA, does not apply to Kings Island in OHIO......

Why would we care what goes on in Virginia when this post is only about Kings Island? Two different parks, two different set of rules. May be the same owner, but not the same.

Ok, what is a Kings Dominion Souvenir Cup? I didn't see one of those at the park anywhere! They are still selling the two cups from last year.... and the cups don't have dates on them!

OK, The link in the post above is from Kings Dominion in VIRGINIA, does not apply to Kings Island in OHIO......

You DO know that Dominion and Kings Island are owned by the same people, right?

I do agree that allowing Gold Pass customers to detour straight to the Gold Pass parking lot causes less congestion. The simple solution would be that you simply show your pass to the security person and he would simply let you go straight to the Gold Pass parking lot. Very simple solution. For me,however, this issue is not worth making a Federal case. There are just too many positives about my opening day experience that outweight this. If you do have an issue with something, however, you are likely to get it resolved if you bring it to the attention of a manager. Believe me, they do listen.

Just a quick question about how Firehawk is doing. I havnt been to the park in two years hence why I am pretty excited to first ride it and with us only going one day to the park on May 28th, how does it seem to be running now. I know its obviously the start of the season but I have had good luck every time we take the five hour trek to the park with rides and want the most bang for the day :P

Its opening day for crying out loud. They will have alot of troubles with parking and all that till about the 2nd or 3rd weekend. I know when i get to the park its early and hardly no one is in the lot yet. Its best to get there before the park opens.