Klockster's Opening Day TR

TheKlockster

Just didn't feel like taking photos. I think my grandma took a few, but I haven't looked at them yet. I was at the Creation Museum for the better part of the day Saturday, so I was already tired when I got to the park. Anyways here's my two cents if anyone is interested.

I got there around 11:00. The line for season pass processing was huge - out into the handicapped parking area. But I figured it was going to be bad, so I just got in line and enjoyed the nice weather and thought about whether or not I would be able to fit on any rides (having not visited the park since Cedar Fair took over) and whether or not I had lost my nerve and would even be able to handle the rides. I think I got into the park at around noon.

Headed to Express first and got in line. I had mental pictures of me having to do the walk of shame, but the restraints hadn't changed at all, and the belt was not an issue. I actually ended up in line behind Dane, Robbie and Bill. It was a lot of fun, and the ride ran quite nicely.

Next I headed to TOP GUN, because I figured I'd rather find out I couldn't fit on the OTSR Arrows there, than wait in line for my favorite coaster in the park and get denied. Also I think that TOP GUN is an amazing ride. I actually fit with a little slack in the belt - if the belt is taut I actually have enough room between myself and the restraint to get a little air. Ran into the PKIC staff again here, and said hi. TOP GUN was running very fast and very smooth, just as it always had. Seriously love that ride.

With that concern behind me, I headed down to the tail end of Coney Mall, to ride the best flat ride in the park - Troika (known to most as Shake, Rattle and Roll). I noticed that strange smell still by Happy Days Diner or whatever they call it these days. My old supervisor Tim was running Troika, and I talked to him a little, and rode. Very fun ride as always.

From Troika I got in line for Vortex. It was running two trains, and had its station queue open. The line ran to The Vortex sign, which is about 25 minutes or so. Vortex is definitely the best ride in the park - even if it is 21 years old. With 2008 being its 21st birthday, and with me not sure I had the nerve to ride in seat 71, I rode in seat 21. Vortex ran very fast and smooth, and after 18 months without going to Kings Island, it was very good to be back.

About this time it started raining lightly. I headed to Son of Beast to see what it was like since they neutered it. This line was the longest - about 40 minutes. I was very sad about what they did to my ride. The new trains are awful. True they have more leg room, but the restraints are extremely uncomfortable. There is no padding on them, and as you shuffle around they beat up your legs. But this wasn't the worst part of it. As soon as the train pulled out of the station, I could tell it was going to be a rough ride. I held my hands up on the amazing first drop, but I found it physically impossible to hold them up through the entire ride. Both passes through the bottom of the rosebowl I couldn't even hold my head up. The entire ride was so rough, it was like riding on those rumble strips you see on the side of the road, but with flat tires, and at eighty miles per hour.

I used to be a real big Son of Beast fan. Back in the fall of 2004, I rode it eighteen times in a row (getting off and walking around each time). And that was with the old trains! It was smooth as glass, and really really fun. Now I feel like I'm being strapped into a chair and beat to a pulp by some huge guy named Hoss or something. I think I will wait a while before riding this ride again. Even if it does break in and get smoother, I think they killed it when they removed the loop and put these ridiculous trains on it.

By now it was raining, and my head hurt so bad from that SOB of a SOB ride that I could barely walk. So I headed home. It must have been around 3:00 or so. Not a big deal; I have a season pass and will return to the park many times over the course of this season. I didn't think it was too bad of a visit. I was glad to find out that I can still ride some of the rides with the new seatbelts. And I'm sure by the height of the summer I'll be able to ride Beast and Racer again. Maybe even Flight of Fear. I still haven't been on Firehawk - but I'll go on a day it isn't so crowded. Only thing worse than being told you don't fit on a ride is being told you don't fit on a ride after you wait 2 hours in line to find out.

So that's my opening day trip report. After 18 months, it was nice to get my roller coaster fix. I can't wait to go back and ride some more stuff - hopefully on a nicer day.

I haven't ridden SOB yet this year, but after last season I don't think I will again. It's just not fun to me. I think since it was built I've had 2 rides that didn't give me a headache and 20 or so that did, or worse. I have never seen an improvement. I can only see myself riding it now if every ride has a 2+ hour line and SOB somehow is walk-on. Even then I'd have to think about it.

For SOB i recommend waitng the extra 10 minutes for the front seat...SO AWESOME...Thats the only way I will ride that ride anymore...very smooth too...wouldnt it have been awesome if they replaced the loop with an airtime hill...wouldve been a much better ride.

Call me crazy, but I really like the back seat for the fact that it is very rough. The thing is that it just doesn't hurt me, I just like the feeling of being tossed around like a rag doll going 78 mph!

Uh, yeah, but I meant the red train on Son of Beast seems far smoother than the blue one.

Yes, i get a smoother ride in the red train everytime! While im in the station i make sure ill be in the red train, if i end up getting the blue train ill let people cut me.

Uh, yeah, but I meant the red train on Son of Beast seems far smoother than the blue one. On Racer, the track on the red side has been refurbished to a far greater extent than on the blue one....while on SOB both trains ply the same track!

Sorry, I was asleep at the wheel on that one. Still have a fatigue "hangover" from yesterday...

I just said "no" to SOB.

I rode SOB in 6-1 in the Blue Train. I actually felt it was a little smoother. But it was very forceful in the rose bowl, but I managed to hold my hands up for the entire ride.

But I have noticed the red train is smoother then the blue train. Still like that this year?

I haven't ridden SOB yet this year, but after last season I don't think I will again. It's just not fun to me. I think since it was built I've had 2 rides that didn't give me a headache and 20 or so that did, or worse. I have never seen an improvement. I can only see myself riding it now if every ride has a 2+ hour line and SOB somehow is walk-on. Even then I'd have to think about it.

Really I thought it was way smoother than before. I actually loved it!

i noticed they moved the onride camera to where right after the loop used to be. anyone else notice that?

Yeah I was watching the train while waiting in line and saw flashes in the new spot. During the MCBR I looked over at my mom and said get ready for the picture. I then stuck out my tongue and threw up two metal signs my usual pose for ORP's lol.

I also find the red train to be smoother.

Off topic: Interp, I saw a licence plate today that said ms interp could that be your wife? lol

maybe it means misinterpreted

well, yea thats prob what it means, but i thought it was funny, and it did make me think of interp.

you gotta ride the SOB towards the front. The back sucks! I mean its redicolous beating. I rode the SOB 5 times when I went last august, and I tried the very back one and well I'll never try that again. The Front, however ain't too bad, not really bad at all. I do wish there was a way they could make the ride a bit more smoother.

yeah when I rode in the back last august it felt like someone was hitting me on the head with a baseball bat the whole ride. I put my arms down and just prayed for the ride to be over. But it still doesn't change the fact the SOB is one of my favorite rides in the park