Guests Say The Darnest Things

JAHill

Although not in the park, I actually had a conversation with a BP employee this morning who said: "Kings Island was going to move somewhere else because of tax."

I told her that it wasn't going to be a physical move, but rather a proposed de-annexation from Mason, to which she replied: "Well, they've had like 3 owners in the last 2 years, and now it's back owned by Hannah Barberra."

I just smiled politely and walked away. ^_^

• Like 2

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I have to admit that the funniest thing I think I ever heard was this: It was raining, so we decided to wait it out under the front entrance but inside the park. I started talking to a young lady who was working at the turnstiles when someone on the outside walked up and asked her, "Is it raining inside the park too?" She just turned around, looked towards the tower, then turned back and without cracking a smile said, "Yes, but not as hard as it is on the outside." We all started cracking up and the poor lady who asked the question had a dumbfounded look on her face. I don't think she ever got it.

• Like 4

"Well, last time I was there, Racer Blue was still running backwards"

"The Son of The Beast was taken down a LONG time ago!"

By the same guy after I told him he was wrong:

"Ha, I think I know a LOT more about Kings Island than you!"

Oh, my dear friend, you would be amazed.

• Like 3

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I have to admit that the funniest thing I think I ever heard was this: It was raining, so we decided to wait it out under the front entrance but inside the park. I started talking to a young lady who was working at the turnstiles when someone on the outside walked up and asked her, "Is it raining inside the park too?" She just turned around, looked towards the tower, then turned back and without cracking a smile said, "Yes, but not as hard as it is on the outside." We all started cracking up and the poor lady who asked the question had a dumbfounded look on her face. I don't think she ever got it.

Not KI related, but raining inside vs outside the park reminded me of this...

When I was still in high school, I was working at one of the Burger Kings in South Bend. I was working during a pretty good snowstorm one day when we lost power. No power, no food, figure that. We had the doors locked with signs posted to that effect. I watched a couple people pull into an empty parking lot, get out of the car, walk to one door, try to open it, saw and read the sign, then walked to the other door and tried to get in there. I was thinking to myself "yes, there's no power on that side. What makes you think there will be power over there?" Hey, you never know. It could have been a very isolated power outage.

BTW, makes me think of a question I've heard from time to time... "What happens if power goes out while Drop Zone (Tower) is in the middle of its drop?" I know there are magnet brakes, but I guess that is a scary thought.

One the funniest ones I've heard happened near the end of the '06 season at Cedar Point. While waiting in line for Magnum, there was a group of teenage girls in front of me. They were discussing what to ride next. One of the girls said she wanted to ride the red coaster at the back of the park. Her friends told her it wasn't open yet. (It was Maverick, still under construction). She then asked if they took all the rides down during the winter. I could barely control my laughter.

• Like 2

BTW, makes me think of a question I've heard from time to time... "What happens if power goes out while Drop Zone (Tower) is in the middle of its drop?" I know there are magnet brakes, but I guess that is a scary thought.

Are you talking about when it is lifting to the top or on it's way down? Either way it's not as scary as you might think.

They can use a manual release to release the ride to the ground.

As for the mid drop scenario, you answered your own question.

On one of my recent visits, while in line for The Beast, a girl in front of me asked if there were creatures that jumped out at you during the ride. (pointing to the sign in the station that reads: "Warning - The Beast - attacks likely".

• Like 1

Walking behind 2 teenage guys past Vortex, One says "What's that net up there for?" The other replies "In case you fall out." I hope the other guy knew he was kidding, but I couldn't help but chuckle at that one!

I have said that on a couple of occasion (sry if i spelled that wrong). one time i told it to my little brother. He thought it was true so he wouldn't go on it for the next 10 times we were at Kings Island. then i told him it was not true.

• Like 1

I can say this from experience from working in the front of the park, turnstiles included: people want you to give them the forecast. "Is it going to rain?" "When will it stop raining?" etc. And it's funny because even people who are paid money to forecast the weather are wrong a lot of times.

Although not in the park, I actually had a conversation with a BP employee this morning who said: "Kings Island was going to move somewhere else because of tax."

I told her that it wasn't going to be a physical move, but rather a proposed de-annexation from Mason, to which she replied: "Well, they've had like 3 owners in the last 2 years, and now it's back owned by Hannah Barberra."

I just smiled politely and walked away. ^_^

Good grief, Charlie Brown! (hint hint) Yeah, maybe not.

That is funny that she actually thought KI was going to move.

• Like 1

While my brother and I were at Cedar Point on Thurs & Frid we were in line for our 2nd time on Maverick and a family got in line behind us. They were walking really slow and clogging up the whole line because they kept looking up at the coaster RIGHT NEXT TO THE ZERO G ROLL and were saying "Does this go upside down?" "I think this might go upside down." "I'm not sure if it goes upside down." We were just cracking up the whole time saying that when we got home we'd have to remember to post it in this topic :D

~Ash

The ride ops hear some really good ones, so I need to add a little thanks to them.

They could have ratted me out one time, but just smiled and ignored my conversations with the kids.

We took them when they were about 7 and 9. Kids that age are all the same.

The night before the trip, they are gonna ride The Beast, The Vortex, and climb up the outside of the Eiffel Tower themselves. Then you get there......It must be the scale of the rides, or screaming or something, because once you get there, they won't ride ANYTHING!!!!

Like all parents, we want to build them up gradually hoping to get them on a "big" ride by the end of the day.

Not happening.

So I tool matters into my own hands, shuffled them as quickly as I could through the line of Adventure Express as fast as I could so that couldn't see the signs, or see any of the ride.

So we're getting on the ride, and all the ops are getting us ready, the kids seemed nervous, but I kept swearing to them that it was the choo choo train ride. The ops just smiled and checked the bars....

Needless to say, the kids were ****ed at me, but it got them over their fears, and the rest of the day went great!!!

So sometimes, it's not what the ride ops say, but what they DON'T say that makes a trip enjoyable.

• Like 5

Today while I was in line for Vortex it broke and the kid in front of me said "Get the duck tape!"....

And as I was walking by the mystery construction some guy was staring at the splash down and said... " Why are they building a kiddie pool?"

As I was riding the train the person on the loud speaker said "As you look to your left and right you might notice all the trees are gone. Godzilla came through the other day so we decided to put something special here for 2009 season.. it will be a huge something...".

Lots of laughs today!

• Like 4

Heard some discussion while walking around today in my neighborhood

"The Firehawk is being moved where Goose Lake was, and they are putting a new hyper coaster where it stood originally."

Problems With This:

• "THE" Firehawk :I
  • Goose Lake?
  • Can YOU Find The Other Error? ;)

Wow.

• Like 1

At KI today we heard a couple of funny things.

In the exit line for The Crypt some kid walked up looking towards the construction area and said "Is that The Beast?!"

In line for The Racer there were people behind us with a park map and they looked over at Firehawk and one lady asked "What is that?" and the guy that was with her said "I think that's Vortex." The lady said "Oh, yeah I think it is....does it go upside down?" Seriously...do people NOT see the loops on rides or what?!

The guy working The Racer was making his usual jokes....."this ride goes upside down 7 times.....this ride is 10 mins long....blah blah" and this time he said "Get ready for you 115 mph ride on The Racer" and some people that were going to be next to load started screaming in disbelief...."115 MPH?!?!?" with looks of shock and horror.

People are so dense sometimes. :|

~Ash

• Like 2

I would always be SO confused about how in the Flight of Fear que, there was a giant space ship and how there was no tunnel leading out of it where the train launched. then about a year ago i discovered it was only half a ship and there was a mirrored wall, ha ha ha... :(

Also, when i was waiting for Son of Beast one time (post loop removal) someone asked where these new trains came from.

I in return said "They got them from some old rollercoaster from the east coast or something like that"

they said "that was the dumbest thing i have ever heard"

I would always be SO confused about how in the Flight of Fear que, there was a giant space ship and how there was no tunnel leading out of it where the train launched. then about a year ago i discovered it was only half a ship and there was a mirrored wall, ha ha ha... :(

Some people mistake the ship for the actual ride itself if they don't know the actual ride is a coaster.

• Like 1

Guest TombraiderTy
While my brother and I were at Cedar Point on Thurs & Frid we were in line for our 2nd time on Maverick and a family got in line behind us. They were walking really slow and clogging up the whole line because they kept looking up at the coaster RIGHT NEXT TO THE ZERO G ROLL and were saying "Does this go upside down?" "I think this might go upside down." "I'm not sure if it goes upside down." We were just cracking up the whole time saying that when we got home we'd have to remember to post it in this topic :D

~Ash

My brother is greatly afraid of loops, so all through-out the line for Maverick we told him it did not go upside-down. During this time, he did one of two things: 1. Play his Nintendo DS, and 2. Look at the park map, which shows an inversion on Maverick right on the cover.

1. In line for Vortex, "This ride used to be called The Bat"

I was talking to an employee at Top Glo a few weeks ago when I asked her if she had ever heard any rumors about Vortex. She told me she had heard an accident had happened on it when it used to be called another name, possibly The Bat.

• Like 1

Did he get over his fear after that or did he just not talk to you again?

He was still scared, actually more scared. And he still talks to me, lol. We went to Old Town (Kissimee Florida) and rode Slingshot. He saw the signs saying how fast it was, and how tall (i think it's actually the tallest at 365ft.) and we told him that it is also just an illusion! He rode it! We got it on tape, it is so funny!

You are most certainly cruel, sir. It's funny because I would do the same thing.

Hey! That's my line :)