Guests Say The Darnest Things

JAHill

The guy working The Racer was making his usual jokes....."this ride goes upside down 7 times.....this ride is 10 mins long....blah blah" and this time he said "Get ready for you 115 mph ride on The Racer" and some people that were going to be next to load started screaming in disbelief...."115 MPH?!?!?" with looks of shock and horror.

People are so dense sometimes. :|

~Ash

I like it when the guys at The Racers do that :) It makes waiting in line for the back seat a bit more enjoyable when I get to see people chicken out and wait by the exit for their friends, or people having looks of sheer horror on their faces as they get into the car.

Just last Saturday, in line for SOB, two guys in front of us (me and gnarkiller) were saying "look how much the ride sways, it's going to collapse, i don't want to ride this!" We kept trying to tell them that if it doesn't 'sway' than it's a bad thing, but they wouldn't listen.

Great thread! Although I don't enteract with guest that much at the park in my current position, I started working in the games department from 1995 to 1998 and enteracted with guests on a daily basis. Here is my top 10 list:

1.) "How do I get to the Space Mountain ride?" - 1996

response: "Umm, hop on a plane to Orlando, go to the Magic Kingdom park and you'll find it in Tomorrow Land"

2.) "Can you tell me how to get to the Swiss Family Robinson tree house?" (I was asked this one week after the space mountain question) - 1996

response: "Have you already ridden Space Mountain?"

3.) "Don't you have a heart? My daughter has a disability: she has no vagina! Why can't you just give her a free game!"

response: "Umm, let me tell this to my supervisor"

4.) "How much is this game?" - the Quarter Pitch (currently Goblet Toss) - 1997

response: "20 dollars for 1 try"

5.) "How many quarters can I get for a dollar?" the Quarter Pitch - 1997

response: "8 quarters! We are doing a bogo for the next 2 minutes"

6.) "Do I have to use my own quarters, or do I trade them in for the ones you have?" the Quarter Pitch - 1997

response: "This game only uses Canadian quarters! Are yours Canadian?"

7.) "Hey, hey you! Do you work here???" - 1997

response: "Was it the name tag and pleated khaki shorts that gave it away or my gorgeous smile?"

guest response: "Oh, I'm sorry! I thought you did work here!"

response: "I do. I was just fooling!"

guest response: "Oh, I though you said you didn't"

8.) "So when did Disney decide to sell this park to Cedar Point?" (asked by a coworker) - 2008

response: "Ehh..."

9.) "Do they still have the It's a Small World ride? That was my favorite as a kid" (asked by a subcontractor working for the park) - 2008

response: "No, they took that out a long time ago!"

10.) "How do I get to the Eiffel Tower?" - every year

~Josh

• Like 4

I was in line for the Avatar ride and some guy asked has it ever flew off the tracks before I just looked away :rolleyes:

Why would it fly off the tracks before you just looked away?

No I meant I looked away after he asked.. I did answer him though

• Like 1

Guest TombraiderTy
I had a guest ask if Kings Island has valet parking! I just laughed inside and said, "No we don't, sorry." :D:D

Well Universal had that and SeaWorld has recently adopted the program.

My response to the "my daughter has no vagina" claim to free games would have been,"neither does about half the population, but they still have to pay...." Glad I never worked there, I'm sure I would have had a problem if I had said that...LOL!

:lol:

I had to cover my mouth so not to wake up some family members in the next room! That completely made my day!

• Like 2

I was in line for The Racer one day and some lady with too much makeup on thought that AE was Son of Beast. i just looked away and asked my dad if he wanted to ride AE later and the lady said "oh is that what it is? Adeventure express? oh i forgot!" yeah right

BTW, makes me think of a question I've heard from time to time... "What happens if power goes out while Drop Zone (Tower) is in the middle of its drop?" I know there are magnet brakes, but I guess that is a scary thought.

Are you talking about when it is lifting to the top or on it's way down? Either way it's not as scary as you might think.

They can use a manual release to release the ride to the ground.

As for the mid drop scenario, you answered your own question.

Yeah, the only way Drop Tower would plummet to the ground and not be stopped by the magnetic brakes is if the earth stopped rotating. And in that case, we're all screwed anyway.

• Like 1

As I was just about to get in the car today, 2 boys were walking through the parking lot. This is the conversation I heard...

Boy 1: Man we have to ride Firehawk.

Boy 2: We would, only we can't find it.

At this point, I almost went to give them directions, but they continued talking.

Boy 1: Oh wait, thats it (pointing toward Invertigo)

Boy 2: That one right there?

Boy 1: Yeah, the yellow and red one. Thats Firehawk.

I got in my car and drove away...

• Like 1

a few years back,a lady looking up at the sonny ask me (kid you not)is that the worlds famious cyclone racer?no i said.they moved it kennywood.LOL

I wonder if she ever found it?Sonny is in a league of it's own how could she insult sonny?

And yes i heard people call The Racer the old cyclone racer.(duh)

• Like 1

That Harry Traver ride in Long Beach is one I wish I could have ridden!

http://www.rcdb.com/ig1945.htm?picture=1

Im not quite sure but i thought astroland in ny i think has the cyclone racer like the one from long beach there.I think they charge 5.00 a ride.

The pike wanted a west coast version of it and i must admit they did a good job.

Nope...that's the world famous Cyclone....and has nothing to do with the Cyclone Racer...

The Cyclone Racer was a twin racing coaster...the Cyclone is not. It was, indeed, the only racing coaster that Fredrick Church ever designed. Harry C Traver built it.

As for the Brooklyn Cyclone, Vernon Keenan designed it and Harry C. Baker built it... it is, like some modern wooden coasters, partially built on a steel frame!

Perhaps that guest was even more confused (or perhaps less confused) than you thought! :)

• Like 1

I should NOT allow my children to read KIC!!! Yesterday, at The Beast, the train returned to the station and, in front of us in line was a child (about 12 years old) who was riding for the first time with one of his friends and appeared to be afraid. The rider before him was riding alone. That poor child asked why one of the seats was empty and my kids told him that the other person "probably just fell out, it happens all the time." I quickly reassured him that they were just teasing him. Then reprimanded my kids and reminded them that not every person at the park is a coaster geek, I mean fanatic, like we are.....

--Beatle, who's 8 year old rode Millenium Force for the first time with his hands up the entire ride (and is WAY too proud of himself as a result :) )

• Like 4

A new one just today. At Indiana Beach in line for Hoosier Hurricane, we heard two guys talking (18-20 or so in age). One mentioned about a coaster he rode at Cedar Point that was called The Beast and went out through the woods and was the longest wooden coaster. Apparently they've moved Beast to a new home, but I don't know where all the woods will be at CP. They better just leave it at KI.

We got off the ride and thought, I hope they don't go to Cedar Point to ride it. They will be awefully disappointed not to find it. I suppose they could always ride Mean Streak, another coaster that's trimmed to death, but that would be a let down if they were expecting a really long ride out through the woods. It's no trade off, though I do like Mean Streak and always have.

• Like 2

Flight Deck Opt on Mic.

All Clear....Enjoy your ride on Flight Deck the best quality ride in the entire park!

Of course it is!

It is performing well this year, but with all the rust on it, how does true "quality" enter the picture??? I so want to write paint me on it. Of course, to fix it right, you'd have to do more than paint, but that would help.

Flight Deck Opt on Mic.

All Clear....Enjoy your ride on Flight Deck the best quality ride in the entire park!

Of course it is!

It is performing well this year, but with all the rust on it, how does true "quality" enter the picture??? I so want to write paint me on it. Of course, to fix it right, you'd have to do more than paint, but that would help.

Well the chain lift is certainly faster,until they stop you midway up.Whys That?

Flight Deck Opt on Mic.

Of course it is!

Well the chain lift is certainly faster,until they stop you midway up.Whys That?

Block system.