Guests Say The Darnest Things

JAHill

"dad can we go ride top yellow bowl next" while pointing at top thrill dragster.

and

"cedar creek mine ride is a type of roller coaster called tubular track."

both of these happened today at Cedar Point. and both i tried really hard not to laugh but it just slipped out.

• Like 2

just went today, a couple new ones:

(little girl pointing at delerium) IS THAT The Racer???

(Son of Beast ride op.) And have a good ride on Flight deck--[censored]--Son of Beast, the world's tallest and fastest wooden roller coaster!

(random guy in line for Flight of Fear) yeah, this ride takes you upside down 7 times.

(random guy in line for Flight of Fear) the movie this is based on is about the government finding a UFO, and when they go in it everything starts going crazy.

(random people in line for Son of Beast) guy: Why'd they change the ride names? girl: paramount sold Kings Island to Universal.

(random guy in line for The Beast) I can ride The Beast with no handlebars... with no handlebars...

that last one's my favorite

vl2

**EDIT**

for got about this...

me: The new ride's B&M.

them: huh?

me: You know, like raptor and mantis

them: then wouldn't it be R&M?

• Like 6

I remember one time I was in line for Delirium and I over-heard someone talking about SOB. Here's how that went:

"Man I can't believe they tore down Son of Beast and rebulit it without the loop."

"Yeah that sucks but you can't tell the difference though it's like they never touched it."

"I wonder how they put it back up so fast."

"Beats me."

"Maybe they should have never made a sequel if it was gonna fail so epically like that."

~end conversation~

• Like 1

at Cedar Point yesterday:

disaster transport:

(random guy in line): oh yeah, this ride is completely dark. No lights at all. You can't see ANYTHING. And it goes upside down. 10 times.

(random girl behind us in line): No it's not a roller coaster. Yeah, it's like tomb raider at Kings Island. (I burst out laughing)

Dragster:

(guy points at top): OMG! THAT GIRL JUST FELL OUT!

Other random things that happened:

(random guy): The clinking on the hill is the train's motor.

(little girl, probably about 6) [wearing shirt that says "life is better blond"]

Well, some of them are. I've been known to ask when they are going to put the second train on Invertigo, doing so with some exasperation in my voice: "But they ran two trains when it was Paramount Parks!"

Or, while standing in line for Racer, to ask a little kid if the ride goes upside down...or if you get wet!

• Like 3

"some kid fell out of Firehawk and died"- a random guy in line for Firehawk

hahaha i was thinking omg there is noooo way!!

"let's go ride the backwards one now!"- a random kid who just got done riding the blue racer

this was after he got done riding it and both the trains had raced! so he should have seen they are both forward...

• Like 1

When a bird hits your eye

like a big pizza pie...

that's not butter.....

*herniates with laughter*

Some of my favorites:

"It curves back in on itself"--Several guests describing the first drop of any given coaster

"I dropped a teddy bear at the top of the loop and caught it at the bottom"--A lady friend of mine, quite seriously, about The Vortex

"I caught her by her belt and yanked her back in. If I hadn't, she would have flown out"--An old friend of mine, proud like a hero, about a skinny girl he was riding with on The Beast

"Oh, it's one of those things that makes you feel like you're really on a roller coaster"--Said about the VR ride and also once about Flight of Fear......Flight of Fear!!!

"Oh look....you go backwards"--Some old lady about Firehawk

"If you hold your hands up, it will rip your arms out of their sockets"--Several poltroons about Firehawk on various occasions

"You go straight up" or "It takes you straight up"--Various rumored roller coasters being built at Kings Island

"If you get stuck in a loop, (the train) will fall off the track, stupid....GRAVITY is the only thing holding it on the track"--A teenage girl stereotype to her friend as if she were an expert

On a side note--I love to explain to people the simple physics behind roller coasters. I try to explain about airtime and that the only way you would fall out of your seat is if you were standing because you would probably tip over an fall. Otherwise, you don't experience enough negative G-forces for enough time to "throw" you out and away from the train. You also have too much forward momentum to go "up" and out.

• Like 3

My brother and I were in line for FoF and some guy in front of us was talking to the people he was with:

"Oh you have to get on Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point. It's like 300 feet taller than Millennium Force and it's the tallest,fastest and steepest coaster in the ENTIRE world."

Wow so that would put it over 600 feet...sounds awesome! :D

So my brother and I started making up stupid things and Kyle said "Yeah you see how they have all of the lights on in the line for FoF today? You know how it's usually dark? Well too many people died from tripping and falling in the line so they had to turn the lights back on!" LOL!! I hope none of you guys heard us saying all of that stuff...but I'm sure we would have made the list by now!

It's always so funny to see people try and describe what The Crypt is like also. We saw at least 5 different people throughout the day trying to explain it to their friends and all of them were using these crazy flipping hand motions. One girl said "Yeah you sit on this like bar thing and it's way high up....well you don't actually sit on like a bar but it's seats and the whole entire building moves while you are in there." It was SO funny.We were cracking up laughing the whole time. I think when we went on August 7th we heard more stupid things throughout the day than we have all season.

Some disgruntled lady in line for The Beast said(to her son) "Oh no honey Cedar Fair does NOT take care of us. Ever since Paramount sold Kings Island everything has gone downhill. Paramount used to take our bags for us while we were on the ride and Cedar Fair doesn't do anything like that because they don't care about us." Wow. We wanted to slap her.

Yeah I really don't think members could make any of this stuff up because people are really clueless like that wherever you go.

~Ash

• Like 2

If you do the following you will get almost all the the ride ops and some people in the station to laugh if you say it loud enough:

STEP 1: Get on "The Beast"

STEP 2: Once the ride operator lets you go and the guy says " Enjoy your ride on The Beast"....

STEP 3: Look at the person sitting next to you and scream "YOU TOLD ME THIS WAS The BeastIE!!!!"

Simple yet effective..

• Like 3

If you do the following you will get almost all the the ride ops and some people in the station to laugh if you say it loud enough:

STEP 1: Get on "The Beast"

STEP 2: Once the ride operator lets you go and the guy says " Enjoy your ride on The Beast"....

STEP 3: Look at the person sitting next to you and scream "YOU TOLD ME THIS WAS The BeastIE!!!!"

Simple yet effective..

I took my ex girlfriend last year during HH. It was dark, and she hadn't been to the park in years. She confused "Son of Beast" with "The Beastie." Needless to say, Sonny was not what she expected.....LOL!!!

• Like 1

I heard 3 good ones on my visit on 8/6. In order from least to most funny, they are:

Boy at drink cart outside Rivertown Pizza, pointing up at Vortex: "What's that ride?"

Grandmother to boy: "That's just part of The Beast".

I let that one slide...

Teen Boy #1 in line for DT, watching the Diamondback animation on QTV: "I think that's the new coaster!"

Teen Boy #2: "No, that's the old one, King Cobra. They wouldn't have video of the new one yet."

I HAD to correct that one...

And now, the funniest thing I've heard at the park in a looong time. Let me set the scene: We're in the line for Crypt, in the former monkeyman room that's been converted to a switchback queue. It's about 3:00 on August 6th, an hour after they made the Diamondback announcement:

Teen girl to boyfriend, who she has her arms wrapped around and she's literally hanging off of: "Well, you saw the website. It said 'Opening August 6th at 2:00'. 'Opening August 6th at 2:00' means we can ride it August 6th at 2:00. It doesn't mean 'Starting construction August 6th at 2:00'! I'm not happy!"

Wow...there was just too much to correct with this one that I couldn't possibly explain to her before the line moved that the website actually said "Coming August 6th at 2:00" and that the construction actually started months ago.

• Like 2

Guest TombraiderTy
"Was King's Island's Eiffel Tower or Paris' Eiffel Tower built first?"

Are you serious?

:lol: Yeah, Paris's is a scale-model of ours. Only it's three-times bigger.

Here's one I forgot about:

Sister: Yeah, Cedar Fair is selling Kings Island.

Me: No... they purchased it only a few years ago

Sister: So? Paramount had Kings Island for sale for, like, eight years.

I tried to argue and tell her how she was wrong, but she was too stubborn and said that I must not know anything about Kings Island. Whatever :rolleyes:

Anytime I get the "They're gonna take out [pick a coaster] because it's slowly sinking into the ground" line, I just tell them, "Yeah, but the ride is sinking evenly, so they don't have to worry about it."

Ones I heard on my visit Tuesday:

"How do you get into those seats when they start upside-down?" (talking about Invertigo)

"Drop Tower is slowed down by laser-controlled brakes. Once the lasers sense the black paint on the tower, it triggers the brakes" (I actually found this to be a pretty interesting concept, regardless of how wrong it was)

"Flight of Fear is better than Vortex because it flips a bunch more. Vortex was built for speed, while FoF was built to go upside-down a million times" (though I'm not holding the obvious exaggeration of "million" against him)

• Like 2

All this hype and advertising for Diamondback has some guest really confused. I've had quite a few ask where "that Diamondback ride" is, and how long the wait for it usually is. I just smile and reply "Well, part of it is over behind Firehawk, the rest is near The Beast, and so far I havn't seen it with a wait at all!" Soon after most give me a confused look and I then tell them that it isn't opening until April.

• Like 2

All this hype and advertising for Diamondback has some guest really confused. I've had quite a few ask where "that Diamondback ride" is, and how long the wait for it usually is. I just smile and reply "Well, part of it is over behind Firehawk, the rest is near The Beast, and so far I havn't seen it with a wait at all!" Soon after most give me a confused look and I then tell them that it isn't opening until April.

A better answer to "How long is the wait?

About 8 months.

• Like 3

I also love how i talk to every one and they think someone has died on every single ride in the park. its aggravating.

oh yes....especially with the removal of the SoB loop. i have heard about 50 different ways of dying that people heard happened, hence the removal, including: train stuck at top of loop and drunk person fell out, person somehow fell from lift hill on accident (liked the train bucked him or something -_- ), the ever-popular derailment....

and god if i hear one more guest ask if they're taking out The Vortex 'next year' (insert year there, ive heard it for 10) im quitting......-_-

• Like 1

The Common Asked Question I Get By Working At The Eiffel Tower is "Where Is Cincinnati?" Can You See Cincinnati From Here? What Highway Is That On The Other Side Of The Tower?...........My All Time Favorite, "Where Is The Antique Cars?"...................................Is That Firehawk (Pointing At Face/Off which is now Invertigo),

oh no no no my friend, you have not heard it all...my favorite is when they know their facts but still pick the wrong coaster.... i heard this group on top of the eiffel talking about 'The Beast is the worlds longest wooden coaster in the world, it goes underground' etc etc like a couple of pros....i almost smiled when i heard 'thats it, the blue and orange one' *screech of breaks and crash* o.o; i think i lost all faith in humanity that day

• Like 1

How about "Ride Ops Say the Darndest Things" :P

One time I asked the Eiffel Tower op if there is a maximum wind rating for the tower, and she looked at me like I had three heads. I re-phrased the question and asked if they shut the tower down at a certain windspeed. She said "I don't understand your question". I gave up and said "no one ever does when I ask them that question".

um...i hope that wasnt me n.n; i would not be surprised if it was though (sorry to super repost i am just doing things as i find them *just found this thread after being told about it*)

I work with a girl who came in the other day all excited...she starts telling everyone that would listen about how The Beast stopped on the first hill and they couldn't get it going again, so they sent another train up the lift to bump it and get it moving, and that made her hit her head on the grab bar in front of her and black out thru the whole ride...I just turned around and kept doing my job...

Then when I was at the park a few weeks ago,this little boy and his mom were walking thru Action Zone, and the boy says "I wanna ride Top Gun" and his mom, rather angrily, said "For the last G** D*** time, your too little to ride Top Gun, how bout Son of Beast instead?" I looked at my dad and shook my head...

That same day, I tried to explain to a partially drunk man that no one had died on Son of Beast, and yes the lift is supposed to give and sway like that...

And something needs to be done about Final Destination...I went to a friends house and there were a couple people there I didn't know, and we watched it (I'm not sure why I stayed through the whole movie), then after it was over, the random people and I argued about how that had never actually happened, and couldn't ever happen, and the best part was when I had to explain to them that they had never seen it happen. They honestly thought that they had seen a coaster fall apart like that and were trying to tell me it used to be at KI...I nailed them when they couldn't tell me the name of the ride...

• Like 1

A fellow associate the other day had a guest come up and ask...And I could not make this up...I lost it:

"Why isn't Diamondback open and running? We just watched it running tests earlier!"

perfect opportunity to point to the track pieces and say 'ever seen that final destination movie? well....times 100'

and i swear, pre-DB announcement, i was talking to about the millionth person to ask me 'where is that new ride that they're opening next week?'.....and when she asked me, i just pointed to the pieces and said 'there'. she replied 'wow theyre behind arent they?'........another said 'man you must have one fast construction crew'........same general idea....with pieces in plain sight and having already been pointed out by me.....'what kind of ride is it? a log flume *points to 'kiddie pool'*?'

oh and this one is a bit second-hand but i was talking to a train employee who told me he often gets 'does this ride have a/many loop/s?' as a joke from playful smart guests and usually responds 'oh yeah, most in the park' or something to that effect. but one dad got on the back row of the train with his little 6 year old kid and asked 'does this have a loop?'...so he answered 'yeah, it blasts off with rocket boosters around the water park and hits a loop right before the station'......the guy said 'oh'....GOT OFF AND WALKED AWAY...

one from today at the top of the Eiffel Tower. i was talking to a guest about the fireworks, where the best places were to see them, and she also asked if the parking lot was good..... so i said, "up here, down there between this and the carousel, the parking lot is definitely good, Action Zone is nice around Drop Tower, i know, but coney mall is not really that great because you might have to watch through trees." she said okay and walked away....came back about 2 minutes later and asked 'by coney, did you mean the parking lot?'................................yes.........................................

..i said later to someone about this "yeah, go to the coney parking lot.....its only about a half hour, 45 minute drive..."

• Like 2