Guests Say The Darnest Things

JAHill

Surely it is not your contention they get nothing right? They do get some of their facts straight....in fact, nearly all of them. Exaggeration is not a way to make a case,. here or anywhere else. They also use proper punctuation and capitalization. Surely it isn't that hard to do that? And the TOS here require it...

But they sure can't spell a lot of times. The most recent example was on Fox News this morning (definitely not my favorite source for news, but I had to take the car in for service this morning and that's what they had on). They had a word on the screen, spelled "comittee". For those spelling impaired folks out there, there should be two m's in that word. Locally, channel 12 seems to be the worst spelling offender that I've noticed, followed by 19. Channel 9's pretty good, and I never watch 5 so I can't speak for them.

Proper spelling is a pet peeve of mine, and has recently become a growing concern personally. One of GatorGirl's daycare teachers makes at least one spelling error every time she writes anything for the parents. I'm going to bring it up to the center director one of these days, after I get all the examples together. This is one of the people who's responsible for teaching my daughter... and the center only hires college graduates with degrees in Education, and current college students whose major is Education! I shouldn't have to see the words "spageti" for spaghetti, or "sorce" for source, just to name a couple of examples.

• 1 month later...

On Saturday, I was in line for Diamondback when a guy comes by, looks at the line and at DB and says: "Man, Firehawk is huge, I'm going back in line for Diamonback"

Also while in line, two different people asked me where and how I got my first rider t-shirt. I simply pointed over to the t-shirt tables and informed them that once they exit the ride, they just walk by and get one. One of guys looked at the tables with mounds shirts on them and then he asked: "Do they have any left?"

I guess some people just struggle.

• Like 1

My Opening Day Contribution: In regard to Action Theater, "Three dimensions: Vision. Smell. (pause) And what is the third one?"

If you rode it on opening day the third one would be heat. It had to be like 85 or 90 degrees in there. I could barely breathe once we got in.

I had to bite my tongue while waiting for The Beast Saturday, the guys next to me waiting for the front of the train (I was in the "back end" lane) were talking about SOB. One said they took the loop out because there was a small accident. I was thinking, "hmm this could be an intelligent conversation I may have to join in..." until he said, "yeah, the track where the wood met the metal loop separated and the train fell off, a bunch of people had broken backs!" And the other guy was like "that's not what happened at all, it derailed and got stuck in the loop so they got new trains with bigger wheels..."

• Like 1

My Opening Day Contribution: In regard to Action Theater, "Three dimensions: Vision. Smell. (pause) And what is the third one?"

If you rode it on opening day the third one would be heat. It had to be like 85 or 90 degrees in there. I could barely breathe once we got in.

You aren't kidding. I felt sorry for those kids working in there!

Guest TombraiderTy

One year we watched a roller coaster video in science class. It was very outdated, however- they discussed the new Drachen Fire and explained how Magnum XL-200 was the world's tallest roller coaster. Later in the day, a friend of mine came up to me: "Hey Ty, did Top Thrill Dragster used to be called Magnum XL-200?"

• Like 1

The media has been doing so almost consistently...."Here we are at Kings Island where the park is celebrating its new roller coaster, The Diamondback...."

Even better, not only did the DDN call it "THE" Diamondback, they also said it has a 215 foot tall first hill. :rolleyes:

Indianapolisman and I heard a CLASSIC in the smoking area in Coney Mall. We were talking to an obvious SFKK fan, and he let us in on some very hot, top secret info!! It seems his Friend who works there (obviously the Dippin Dots guy) showed him the blueprints for some very hot expansion plans at KK over the next wo years. Not only did SFKK buy the rights to Diamondback from B&M with plans to open an exact replica, but are also in the process of bringing back a few other rides (the names of which escape me at the moment) and by 2011 SFKK will be twice the size of KI!! :blink::rolleyes::lol:

• Like 1

While in line for Diamondback on opening day:

man 1: The first drop is over 200ft and the max speed is 80mph

man 2: Well The Beast is almost 200 feet and goes 75mph. Roller coaster technology hasn't come very far.

man 1: that's because the body can only handle so much force.

man 2: yeah, you can't make them much bigger if the body can only handle 1 or 2 G's.

HAHAHA

While in line for Scooby Doo a mother told her VERY young crying child, probably about 4 years old, "don't be scared. it's not dark in there at all." that was just cruel, but still darndest.

i'll keep my ears open more at the next visit, i love this thread!

• Like 1

In line for The Beast opening day, I heard this conversation from a few people behind me.

Girl: I'm scared. This is going to be scary.

Guy: Of course it's going to be scary, it's called The Beast, not puppies and butterflies.

Girl: Shut up.

So of course I was imagining "New at KI in 2010, Puppies and Butterflies... The Ride!" :lol:

• Like 2

Indianapolisman and I heard a CLASSIC in the smoking area in Coney Mall. We were talking to an obvious SFKK fan, and he let us in on some very hot, top secret info!! It seems his Friend who works there (obviously the Dippin Dots guy) showed him the blueprints for some very hot expansion plans at KK over the next wo years. Not only did SFKK buy the rights to Diamondback from B&M with plans to open an exact replica, but are also in the process of bringing back a few other rides (the names of which escape me at the moment) and by 2011 SFKK will be twice the size of KI!! :blink::rolleyes::lol:

This was one of those moments where you try hard not to laugh. However I was unable to control it and laughed right in the guys face.

• Like 1

From opening day, while stuck on the final lift hill of Adventure Express for 10 minutes:

The girl in front of me says “I would so die if we started going backwards right now.” I felt like telling her about the anti-rollback but didn’t feel like trying to explain that to her.

A few minutes later the girl behind me says, “If we started going backwards , there a curve in the tunnel behind us and we wouldn’t turn, we’d go straight through the wall”…sigh. :blink:

• Like 1

I usually don't say anything, unless I'm involved in the conversation, or I know the person...I always feel kinda weird correcting random strangers :lol: . Or if they are blatantly wrong and are going to negatively affect someones ride experience by misinformation, i save the day.