Guests Say The Darnest Things

JAHill

I don't really see the big deal about calling it the Diamondback. I realize there's no 'the' in the name but I don't see the harm in saying it.

I don't really see the big deal behind it either. I do the same thing, and not necessarily willingly. I said last time to my friend when we were there, "hey let's go ride The Vortex/Delirium/what have you."

Speaking of the "darnedest things" I used to think when I was real little that The Beast was named after the X-Men character. Trust me when I say I now know better. :lol:

• Like 4

1. Saturday night at around 6:30 I was waiting for Urgent Scare to open and I heard...

Man 1: They're tearing down Son of Beast

Woman: Yeah because someone died on it!

Man 2: If I were them I'd sell it to someone else and let it be their problem.

Man 1: But they're going to tear it down

Man 2: I'd just sell it to someone else and let it be their problem.

(yes man 1 and man 2 both said their line twice)

I know most everyone gets it, but for anyone who doesnt: Son of Beast's fate has not been announced, no one died on it, and relocating one of the most massive wooden roller coasters of all time would be ridiculously difficult and expensive.. If it would even be possible at all.

• Like 1

Yesterday as my friend and I were walking to flight deck a family was walking back and the mother stopped and pointed at SOB and asked her son what it is. He said, "OH, thats just the Son of Beast. They are going to tear it down because 20 or so people died on it."

So as I was walking by I said, "Be careful of what you say.. no one has died on Son of Beast, but nice try thanks for playing." and just kept walking. The boys dad bust out laughing and told his kid to stop spreading horrible rumors. lol.

• Like 2

Yesterday as my friend and I were walking to flight deck a family was walking back and the mother stopped and pointed at SOB and asked her son what it is. He said, "OH, thats just the Son of Beast. They are going to tear it down because 20 or so people died on it."

So as I was walking by I said, "Be careful of what you say.. no one has died on Son of Beast, but nice try thanks for playing." and just kept walking. The boys dad bust out laughing and told his kid to stop spreading horrible rumors. lol.

Well someone did die as a result of the injuries suffered while riding SOB..... so technically someone did die because of the ride, pre-existing injuries or not....

• Like 1

Well someone did die as a result of the injuries suffered while riding SOB..... so technically someone did die because of the ride, pre-existing injuries or not....

I'm fully aware of that.. thus why I said on Son of Beast.. and so did the kid.

• Like 1

To most people, general public, to die because of a ride is closely regarded as dieing on the ride. I made this argument before that if you suffer from severe injuries in a car accident and die at the hospital you are dead because of the accident and some will assume you died in the accident..... I guess the difference is that in one case you are DOA (dead on arrival) and DAS (Dead at Scene)..... Hey I am just doing my best to help keep everyone on the up and up

To most people, general public, to die because of a ride is closely regarded as dieing on the ride. I made this argument before that if you suffer from severe injuries in a car accident and die at the hospital you are dead because of the accident and some will assume you died in the accident..... I guess the difference is that in one case you are DOA (dead on arrival) and DAS (Dead at Scene)..... Hey I am just doing my best to help keep everyone on the up and up

Meh, its all semantics. It doesn't change the fact that he said more than 20 people died on it. lol

Meh, its all semantics. It doesn't change the fact that he said more than 20 people died on it. lol

very true..... lol

That reminds me.. yesterday when I was walking out from Flight Deck a mother and her child were walking toward FD. She saw how far away the ride was and said "wait. We're not going all the way back there." Instead of turning around and walking back out the entrance she hopped over the chain blocking the SoB que. I watched long enough to see her turn the corner to the first ramp toward the SoB station and I just walked away laughing. I wonder how far she got before she realized she wasn't on her way back to AZ.... or that her kid wasn't following her. I wanted to shout "you're doing it wrong" but I decided to save her further embarassment.

• Like 1

and another good "darndest" moment saturday night. The urgent scare line was backed up practically to x-base. We found a gap in the line to cut through to get to the restrooms and said "excuse me" as we walked through. The lady we walked in-front of shouted "THERE ARE NO EXCUSES!" lol. I don't know if she was trying to be funny or if she thought we were trying to cut in line or what. Gave me a good laugh, but certainly not "with" her.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
When I was riding Dimaondback in row 15 a couple weeks ago, I was sitting by this man and his friends were in row 16. Well, on the 5th hill, he exclamed, "The trims for HELL!" :lol: As soon as I heard that, it's like, "I bet he's from KIC." Well, it turns out he was. I wonder who it was? :lol:

PS.- I hope your not offended with me writing this (you know who you are)

There are just too many potential people to guess.

I think that was me. I'm not really sure that's EXACTLY what I said, but if it was me it's fairly close. That trim makes me so mad everytime...sorry.

while waiting for giggacoaster2k to get off Diamondback, i overheard this kid go " thats why they run so fast, they have 3 coasters! " i believe he ment trains , it made me chukle, when gigga got off she asked me what was funny. i told her when we got away from the kid.

• Like 1

in line for Diamondback on Wednesday:

Man to his girlfriend: This is the tallest coaster in the world.

Girlfriend: How tall is it?

Man: about 300 feet, and it goes 100 miles an hour.

Girlfriend: Is it safe?

Man: Well, someone died on it a few weeks ago, but he had a heart attack.

Girlfriend: Maybe we should go on the Son of The Beast instead. It's in the kids area.

WHAT?!?!

On The Beast Saturday, the lady behind me was talking about Vortex and saying how smooth it was; I said back to her Vortex isn't smooth at all. She responds by saying "you don't like Vortex?". I said of course I do, but it's not smooth at all. She then says to her daughter that I'm crazy. lol I think she was heading to Vortex after that, I should have followed her!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Now that the season has started up again, it's time to revive this thread.

Guest waiting in line for Boo Blasters, referring to a section of wallpaper peeling from the wall:

"They had to replace the ride. They couldn't afford to fix the wallpaper."

• Like 1

I heard something funny in line for Adventure Express. There were kids from Atlanta and they had a southern accent. This kid seemed scared and his friend said HAHA you sissy! The scared kid said I fell out on a roller coaster once! They told me to put my hands up and I flew out! It was at the spring carnival!

Just the way he said it made me like die of laughter. They were asking everyone in line if this coaster goes upside down.

• Like 1

As I watched them dealing with the valleyed Invertigo yesterday, some guy walked up beside me and said "The engine blew in the train, when you run that much horsepower that hard for that long, things happen."

I also made the mistake of wearing my CP employee jacket...I was a target all day. "Oh you work here?!" "No, I work at Cedar Point, I'm just visiting..." "Oh, I went there once, that Magnum Force is so cool, the way it drops you underneath itself. And it's awesome being in the middle of the ocean!" (K, so I paraphrased two encounters into one fictional exchange, but I did hear both of those yesterday.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

These are from a few kids as we sit in the brake run on FD.

1. We almost hit The Beast coming around that corner.
  2. I think we aught to go ride Firebird next.

Ride Op on FD before we are dispatched

"Flight Deck, the only ride in the park where the lift hill is longer than that actual ride."

• Like 1

Heard a couple of funny things while in line for Racer yesterday:

Guest, pointing to Adventure Express: "Is that The Beast?"

Guest's friend: "Yeah"

Another guest was on her cell phone, apparently trying to direct her friend to Racer, and referred to Adventure Express as "the Adventure thingy"...

• Like 1

Well, a couple weeks ago, while on Flight Deck in the brake run, two kids behind us wanted to go ride "Firebird."

And today at Coney, I had a kid, probably seven or so years old who was riding the Ferris Wheel. After about thirty seconds, he reported that "This ride is stupid. Its so boring." Upon exiting the ride, the mother apologized to us for her son "being an a-hole" right in front of the kid!

• Like 1