Guests Say The Darnest Things

JAHill

And the Six Flags official mascot unofficial song, We Like To Party used to be frequently played there, and the Six Flags dance party favorite Cotton Eyed Joe used to be a train regular.

In an effort to get even, Great Adventure used to play Paramount Gate Music on Dream Street until noon and featured Maverick's theme song about getting those doggies rollin' in Rolling Thunder's station.

"Cotton Eye Joe" still is a regular song on the train.

• Like 3

Woman pointing to the building behind The Great Pumpkin Coaster: "That used to be 'it's a small world.'"

Um, yeah... not quite. Boat ride that took you past various scenes while playing a song that would get stuck in your head, yes, but that's about where the similarities end. And no Mary Blair or Sherman Brothers on Enchanted Voyage, or Smurfs' Enchanted Voyage.

• Like 5

I talked to a man who defined himself as a "real coaster nut" this afternoon in line for Flight of Fear. Apparently, Flight of Fear used to go 70 mph, but someone got hurt in the first season and the park reduced the launch speed to "45 or something like that."

On the charter bus to Kings Island for our school trip today, I overheard a guy with a huge ego saying "Yeah on Mountain Space at Disney World it's pitch black and you go like 75 miles an hour. Then there's this Space Mission thing at Epcot..."

• Like 4

Someone on Surf Dog this morning referred to the ride as "like the ship, only better". I don't know if they were referring to Viking Fury or Zamperla's "Rockin' Tug" ride, but I thought it was a rather random comment (SD is definitely better than a Rockin' Tug, at least for those who want thrill. I'm not sure how they can say it's "like" Viking Fury though).

• Like 2

I saw a YouTube comment on an Expedition Everest POV that went something like: "My friend told me this went upside down in the dark part, I rode it and didn't feel any. Is this true?"

The reason I feel this is worthy of Guests Say The Darnest Things is because I don't understand why whenever a ride has a dark part (BLSC), people assume it goes upside down...

• Like 1

Yeaster day while on the blue Racer kid behind me points to the access road and tells me they started building a new path for x-base.

Me: really those roads don't look new.

Kid: kid it is true was on KICentral.

• Like 6

Cousin- "Someone died on Flight Deck. The car got stuck upside down and someone slipped out"

Me- "No that was Flight Commander. That was a completely different ride that hasn't been there for 20 years"

Cousin- "That's what it used to be called. They renamed it after that kid died. It's the bluish grey one that swings all over the place"

I just let him think he was right so he would repeat that story to someone else and sound like an idiot again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Here's one for guests outside the park say the "darnest" things...

I went to Office Depot yesterday to get a tally counter for Coasting for Kids. The guy that showed me where they were located asked if I was taking attendance. I told him that I was using it to keep track of my number of rides and explained Coasting for Kids. He asked if we have to get off after every lap and get back in line, I told him no, we stay on the train. I went on to say that I got 96 laps on Racer last year, and those that stayed on the whole time had about 113.

He said "I don't see what's so impressive about that. The real challenge would be to see how many times you can ride with getting back in line each time." When he said that, I'm thinking "Excuse me? 96 laps, the equivalent of 62 miles (or 113 laps / 73 miles) isn't impressive?!?!?" But in the interest of being polite, I bit my tongue.

He then went on to ask "How much do you know about the coasters there?" I replied, "Quite a bit." He said "The only rides I can ride there any more are Racer and Beast. I have steel rods in my back, and all the other rides have magnetic brakes, so they pull on my rods and I don't feel good afterwards. But that's why there are signs about medical conditions, but I ignored them. I rode Drop Tower once, and I wasn't right for a week and a half after. I can only ride the rides that still have friction brakes: Racer and Beast."

My mind starts going at it again, thinking "Ugh.... Racer and Beast have had magnetic brakes for years! How can I escape quickly to the register?" I just politely said "Oh, yeah," and headed towards the register.

• Like 8

Here's one for guests outside the park say the "darnest" things...

I went to Office Depot yesterday to get a tally counter for Coasting for Kids. The guy that showed me where they were located asked if I was taking attendance. I told him that I was using it to keep track of my number of rides and explained Coasting for Kids. He asked if we have to get off after eevry lap and get back in line, I told him no, we stay on the train. I went on to say that I got 96 laps on Racer last year, and those that stayed on the whole time had about 113.

He said "I don't see what's so impressive about that. The real challenge would be to see how many times you can ride with getting back in line each time." When he said that, I'm thinking "Excuse me? 96 laps, the equivalent of 62 miles (or 113 laps / 73 miles) isn't impressive?!?!?" But in the interest of being polite, I bit my tongue.

He then went on to ask "How much do you know about the coasters there?" I replied, "Quite a bit." He said "The only rides I can ride there anymore are Racer and Beast. I have steel rods in my back, and all the other rides have magnetic brakes, so they pull on my rods and I don't feel good afterwards. But that's why there are signs about medical conditions, but I ignored them. I rode Drop Tower once, and I wasn't right for a week and a half after. I can only ride the rides that still have friction brakes: Racer and Beast."

My mind starts going at it again, thinking "Ugh.... Racer and Beast have had magnetic brakes for years! How can I escape quickly to the register?" I just politely said "Oh, yeah," and headed towards the register.

Let's hope that guy doesn't plan on visiting Kings Island again anytime soon. Funny how he referred to it as Drop Tower even though Beast and Racer have had magnetic brakes far longer than that ride has been known as Drop Tower.

• Like 5

Every time I've been to Cedar Point, more specifically in line for Wicked Twister and Magnum for some reason, I get people pointing out and insisting that Lake Erie is really the ocean.

When I went to Cleveland a couple years ago, I kept calling Lake Erie the ocean, and then they'd laugh and I'd realize what I said. West Virginia is boring, fairly empty except for a few rivers an small lakes. FUN FACT: The New River is known as that because it was on of the later discovered rivers, although studies find that it's very ancient.