Guests Say The Darnest Things

JAHill

His whole channel is dedicated to stuff like this. It's a "troll" channel and I get laughs out of things like this. I find it fun and harmless. Sure there is no point, but hey, if he wants to convince people to go to Six Flags: Great America in Gurnee, Illinois so that people can ride Batman: The Ride which has the perfect amount of vertical loops, be my guest.

• Like 2

Never thought I would be able to contribute to this thread so quickly. Tonight while walking the qeue to get on The Beast, two ladies were talking in front of me. One of them looks at the other and asks "how does the car change from this brown wood track over to the blue metal one?" Lol I had to laugh inside a bit.

• Like 15

get rid of

phrase of rid

take action so as to be free of (a troublesome or unwanted person or thing).

synonyms: dispose of, throw away, throw out, clear out, discard, scrap, dump, jettison, divest oneself of; More

informalchuck, ditch, junk, trash, deep-six

"we must get rid of some stuff"

destroy, eliminate, annihilate, obliterate, wipe out, kill

"the cats got rid of the rats"

They didn't rip out the ride, so they didn't get rid of it.

I agree, however, that Mantis is no longer, as are the RMC rides. Even a simple re-theming, a la Calypso into Tiki Twirl, means that the original ride is no longer. The same structure is there, it wasn't discarded, but it is no longer identified by the previous name and theme.

• Like 2

No...  TR:TR was converted into The Crypt.  It wasn't removed.

Mantis was converted into Rougarou.  It wasn't removed.

Mantis and TR:TR are no longer.  They were not, however, removed.  They were converted into "new" rides.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And violation of this fine semantic distinction along with the common use of the word "The" before an attraction subjects a guest's innocent remark in what is supposed to be the FUN atmosphere of an amusement park to inclusion in this thread?

To me, THAT, not the guest's remark (with which I still agree, by the way) is worthy of this thread, as being the darnest thing.

See, it fits right in. This thread itself got titled the darnest. And it is.

The only thing sillier is post after post attempting to justify that Mantis was not removed.

2014. There.

2015. Gone.

If not, go ride it. And TR:TR and Crypt. Enjoy Son of Beast, too. Station's still there!

• Like 7

While in line for The Beast, my stepson asked what was up with all of the structures (the mining camp facade where water used to flow through troughs).

I explained that everything below where we were standing and below the turnaround coming out of the station used to be a lake and that it was there to add to the 'story' of the miners going into the hills and not coming back, or encountering the 'thing' they referred to as The Beast yada yada blah blah.

When he asked why they drained it, I said I wasn't sure, but that it was probably something along the lines of people throwing trash into it, mosquitoes, general upkeep/sanitation. The person in line in front of us said they drained it because the station was sinking. I guess that's possible, and I'm not a structural engineer, but i would think if it was going to sink it would have started long before they drained the lake. Also, as archaic as the 70s were (joking), I thought even then people knew how to build structures in/around water to prevent sinking from happening.

(By the way, anybody know if that sign is still there, I didn't see it when we were there last, but I didn't exactly look for it).

• Like 8

"I like the ride so much I named my car after it!"

As demonstrated, a very slight modification to the quote you heard applies to me as well.

And going back to the Mantis discussion... I consider Rougarou to be the same coaster... Because the coaster itself is, physically speaking, the same track and structure, just with new trains (which, as it happens, make the experience different.). There are TOGO coasters in other countries that operate one sit-down and one standup train on the same track, it doesn't become a new coaster every time they dispatch a train. Steel Phantom, The (old) Texas Giant, Rattler, etc, are no longer around because they received substantial changes to the ride structure and layout. AND to the trains, actually (still sit-down trains, but I don't think anyone will argue that a relatively loose lapbar makes for a totally different ride than an Arrow OTSR).

That said, it's just enthusiast squabbling at this point. No matter how you slice it, the changes that were made to Mantis make for a totally new EXPERIENCE whether you consider it to be the same coaster or not. And the experience is, in this writer's opinion, a dramatic improvement.

• Like 6

"I like the ride so much I named my car after it!"

As demonstrated, a very slight modification to the quote you heard applies to me as well.

And going back to the Mantis discussion... I consider Rougarou to be the same coaster... Because the coaster itself is, physically speaking, the same track and structure, just with new trains (which, as it happens, make the experience different.). There are TOGO coasters in other countries that operate one sit-down and one standup train on the same track, it doesn't become a new coaster every time they dispatch a train. Steel Phantom, The (old) Texas Giant, Rattler, etc, are no longer around because they received substantial changes to the ride structure and layout. AND to the trains, actually (still sit-down trains, but I don't think anyone will argue that a relatively loose lapbar makes for a totally different ride than an Arrow OTSR).

That said, it's just enthusiast squabbling at this point. No matter how you slice it, the changes that were made to Mantis make for a totally new EXPERIENCE whether you consider it to be the same coaster or not. And the experience is, in this writer's opinion, a dramatic improvement.

Playing devil's advocate.... if a ride is cloned in a new space but has a different name but everything else is the same... is it the same coaster?  Or if the ride moves? 

• Like 2

I'm no expert obviously, but I'd say same track, same coaster. Different track, different coaster. It all depends on what you define as the main element of the coaster, I suppose. And a lot of people will answer that in different ways.

• Like 2

What about a coaster(s) like Racer, where there are two separate tracks that are mirror images of each other? One or two coasters? If you say just it's one, what if the park relocates one track to another park- is it still just one?

Or how about when it comes to retracking or rebuilding parts of a ride, like Carowinds' Thunder Road. It's been slowly rebuilt over the past few seasons - is it now a new coaster and therefore a new credit?

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

While taking a short break during Coasting for Kids to visit with my family who was waiting for me in front of The Racer, I heard this gem: "I rode that when it was at Coney Island," referring to The Racer.

The person who said this: none other than my very own mother! :o

I saw that comment on Facebook earlier, CoasterOhio, and was tempted to reply, but I have learned over the years not to get into online arguments when I can help it.

Same here.  I saw this response to one of the park's Facebook posts about the Banshee Brew Fesitval: "So it's included in price of admission but pass holders have to pay? Not much of a perk to having a pass..."  I typed up a response: "It's not included with park admission. Yes, passholders have to pay $29.99, but non passholders have to pay $59.99.  If someone were to show up with a regular park admission ticket, they would not be permitted into the event."  But before I pressed Enter, I erased it.  I figured she would counter with a comment, and I wasn't going to get into that battle.

More surprisingly is that CP never tried to claim Gemini as two. When a park vies for the most you think they would try anything for additional credits. Then there is Kennywood's Racer, is that one or two? Does one only get half a ride?

When I rode Kennywood's Racer in 2012, I only rode one side because the Gatorettes didn't want to wait in line again, and I counted it as a half credit.  Jack Rabbit was credit #123, Racer (right side) was 123.5, Thunderbolt was 124.5 and so on.  It wasn't until I visited again last year that my count evened out again: Banshee 128.5, Sky Rocket 129.5, Racer (left side) 130!

• Like 8

While taking a short break during Coasting for Kids to visit with my family who was waiting for me in front of The Racer, I heard this gem: "I rode that when it was at Coney Island," referring to The Racer.

The person who said this: none other than my very own mother! :o

:o Did you correct her? :P

• Like 3