Guests Say The Darnest Things

JAHill

It amazes me how many times I'll be asked if AE is The Racer(s) once they get to the station. How do these people miss the giant Adventure Express sign that they pass right under? And how do they not realize the ride is not racing at all? 

If you think that is scary...I got a better one.

My last full season as an employee I approached this gentleman and his girlfriend over by Delirium when I saw him looking at the park map confused and then looking at Son of Beast, which was still operating, then he saw me (while he was pointing at SOB) "is that The Racer?"

I never could figure that out but then again I had someone ask for direction to Raptor while at KI several years before CF took over. (I thought he was referring to Reptar but nope...he was looking for Raptor)

Did you tell him to get in his car and driver several hours north to get to it?

Nah, I did explain he was at the wrong park though.

That would be the type of response you'd get out of a Knott's scare actor if you approach asking how to get to Splash Mountain. :P

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I went to KI a few weeks ago with my friend Rachel (who had never rode a roller coaster before) and her sister Haley. We went to Planet Snoopy first so Rachel could get a taste of the roller coasters. I suggested that we should ride Flying ACE Aerial Chase, but Rachel wouldn't for some reason. She pointed to Diamondback and said, "Look how big Flying Whatever is! You expect me to ride THAT?!?!?" Yes, she thought Diamondback was connected to FAAC.  :blink: Also, while in line for DB (Haley and my mom wanted to ride), I was telling my mom that Diamondback had TONS of loops so Rachel couldn't ride it (she had motion sickness). The plan was that if somebody wanted to sit out, they would have to go in pairs, so that meant I couldn't ride either. In all honesty, I just said that so I didn't have to ride.  :lol:

By the way, this was my first post on KIC! Wish me luck! ;)

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Also, at the County Fair, my cousin pointed to the ride where you're in a cage and said, "A teenager got on that ride, cut the cage open, and fell out." (By the way, she said this while we could see people in it.) I asked her why it was still running and she shut up.

• Like 2

Standing in line for T3, there is a 13/14 year old girl flipping out in line saying that she is going to die, she is going to fall out, everyone is going to fall out and that someone died on it. The adult with her was trying to reason with her but it's not working.

Also...a parent let their 8/9 year old relieve himself in line. I guess if you stand around him and let him aim through the fence, it's okay?!

Electricsun who feels as though she is in three different threads right now...

Updated to add that the girl convinced she was going to die has left the line. But another guy asked why there was only one train. He said, "Did it break already or is there only one?". After a 45 minute wait, with a 1/3 full queue, and not yet in the station, it's a good question.

• Like 9

Standing in line for T3, there is a 13/14 year old girl flipping out in line saying that she is going to die, she is going to fall out, everyone is going to fall out and that someone died on it. The adult with her was trying to reason with her but it's not working.

Also...a parent let their 8/9 year old relieve himself in line. I guess if you stand around him and let him aim through the fence, it's okay?!

Electricsun who feels as though she is in three different threads right now...

Updated to add that the girl convinced she was going to die has left the line. But another guy asked why there was only one train. He said, "Did it break already or is there only one?". After a 45 minute wait, with a 1/3 full queue, and not yet in the station, it's a good question.

1. She was 'flipping out?' Nice! (Tb, cross-threading...)

2. That "Depends" (Tb, cross-threading...)

:P

• Like 6

1. She was 'flipping out?' Nice! (Tb, cross-threading...)

2. That "Depends" (Tb, cross-threading...)

:P

I'm rolling in laughter. That is quite a poised response! :)

• Like 3

Not really a darnest thing, but a good story on karma...

Heard on the radio this morning, the topic was "the worst selfie you ever took":

Male Host: Good morning, what was the worst selfie you ever took?

Female Caller: It wasn't me, but my best friend who would be too embarassed to call.  We were at Kings Island the year the Diamondback opened, and she wanted to take a selfie of us at the top of the hill.  She got her camera out and dropped it because we got pulled over the hill.

Male Host: Did she ever find it?

Female Caller: No, we think it landed in a grassy area.

Female Host: And she didn't tell them about it either because it was probably after they told you to put your cellphones away.

Female Caller: Yeah.  Now they have a whole box of broken cell phones there to tell you not to get them out.

• Like 13

I was in line for The Beast and a lady next to me got my attention and asked, "Did you know that this is the oldest coaster at Kings Island?" I corrected her, telling her that The Racer was older, as it opened in 1972. When we reached the station, she tapped me on the shoulder and pointed the wood board that reads "Rivertown 1979" hanging near the control booth. I said "Yes" in agreement to the fact that The Beast did open in Rivertown in 1979, but said nothing further, I just gave up.

Nothing huge about it, just a mix up of information, but I thought it was worth sharing.

• Like 6

Yesterday, a camper tried to tell me that CP's Rougarou was the world's first floorless coaster. I tried explaining that it was just CP's first and that I've ridden other floorless coasters but was met with a "No, it's *totally* floorless!". Sometimes you just have to let it go. 

• Like 10

Working the ticket redemption counter - right around the corner from the arcade games, in plain sight - at Coney on the evening of July 3.

Lady: "How do you get those prizes back there?"

Me: "You can get them by redeeming tickets from the games."

She looks around confusedly for a moment.

Lady: "Where are the games?"

Me: "...They are right around the corner there."

Asking for things like an ATM or the token machine is an everyday occurrence. But, to date, she is the only customer of the summer to ask where the games were in the arcade.

• Like 6