Guests Say The Darnest Things

JAHill

I have had some riders at Vortex ask "Does this go upside down?"

Is Vortex really not that showy enough? Did they NOT see or even notice those two massive vertical loops as they walked toward the entrance or even see the corkscrews and batwing from the queue line? :P 

And why else would the trains feature shoulder harnesses, a restraint commonly used on looping coasters? :) 

• Like 6

Getting off The Beast, a little kid turned to his parent and exclaimed, "You said there was no drop!"

Also, I'm in line for Flight of Fear, and there's an older woman about 15 people behind me whose shirt says "F*** It" on the back (without the censorship). I'm thinking "how in the world does she think that is appropriate for a family park?"

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, jcgoble3 said:

Also, I'm in line for Flight of Fear, and there's an older woman about 15 people behind me whose shirt says "F*** It" on the back (without the censorship). I'm thinking "how in the world does she think that is appropriate for a family park?"

I have seen MANY guests with shirts like this with profanity, gore, etc. I have always wondered why Kings Island has no dress code prohibiting such clothes.

Here's a couple.

"Vortex is actually called Vortex because one of the designers didn't like tornadoes." 

"Why the heck is The Beast made of wood? It's just going to collapse within a year due to rain." 

"The shed that Mystic Timbers uses is actually the station for S.O.B. They are reusing it because they are too lazy to actually build a shed." 

"I can't believe they actually replaced Mean Streak with Blue Streak! It's such a downgrade!" 

"Kings Island is so unsafe. Why keep Vortex open if it's sinking!?!"

• Like 11

While out with my 14 yr old niece recently, she asked me if I knew that "The Vortex was sinking."  I quickly informed her that that was just a rumor and that it's been going around for years.  Not sure where this rumor started and how it keeps getting spread around.

• Like 4

When I was enjoying a shady respit in Tower Gardens...and the group next to me was talking about Mystical Timbers...the shed has New Age propaganda and she wasn't exposing her kids to that poison. ( As she was smoking a cigarette with her kids in tow.)

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I don't think there's been a time at the park where I didn't hear a story about "did you hear someone died on *insert ride name here*". It's one of the most annoying things I hear any time I'm in any park. I don't know what the perceived  right of passage is that people get from telling people that someone died on a ride that they're getting ready to ride, but it's obnoxious the amount of misinformation that gets spread. As a matter of fact, there are people I know that are still under the impression that The Bat was torn out because it killed so many people. Same with King Cobra. I've reached a point in my life where the moment someone says "Hey did you ever get to ride The Bat at KI" I immediately respond with "no one ever died on The Bat" and then "I was 2". The worst part is that it's public record. It always has been public record. In today's society, you can find this information with a very quick google search! There have been very few guest deaths in that park considering how long it's been open, and the number of warm bodies that pass through the gate every day. 

Sorry, just a little rant. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

It's always funny but always strikes me as odd whenever I'm in line for Boo Blasters and someone behind me says, "yeah this used to be Phantom of the Opera you know?" I wonder why so many people think it was called that when the sign out front clearly states "Phantom Theater". 

Woman to child: "Are you getting on or not you big chicken?"

Child: "I don't know. It seems so big!"

Woman: "You rode Banshee. This isn't even a REAL roller coaster. It's a kiddie ride!"

Child: I only rode Banshee because you made me, and I hated it. I don't like roller coasters."

Woman:" I'm telling you, Mystic Timbers isn't a REAL roller coaster. Now come on. We're getting on."

This was heard at Haunt, on Friday, September 29th.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

• Sad 4

Woman to child: "Are you getting on or not you big chicken?"

Child: "I don't know. It seems so big!"

Woman: "You rode Banshee. This isn't even a REAL roller coaster. It's a kiddie ride!"

Child: I only rode Banshee because you made me, and I hated it. I don't like roller coasters."

Woman:" I'm telling you, Mystic Timbers isn't a REAL roller coaster. Now come on. We're getting on."

This was heard at Haunt, on Friday, September 29th.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I hate terrible parents... humiliating a child doesn't work.

I got my son on the Gliders, not by intimidation or humiliation. I got him on (he was scared to death) by telling him how big and brave he was. How proud we were of him. It worked. He rode. Was still afraid and didn't want to do it again for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 9

A couple of months ago I had to deal with one parent on Vortex whose son was crying and didn’t want to ride. I didn’t let him ride because I knew he didn’t want to ride, although the parent said that they were going to go home if he didn’t ride...and they had made a two hour drive to the park. I’m just glad I didn’t traumatize the young boy by putting him through an experience he wasn’t yet ready to face...and I didn’t know what the parent was thinking.

But I wouldn’t cut short an entire trip just because my child isn’t ready to ride a big ride. That’s not how an amusement park trip should work.

• Like 6