Guests Say The Darnest Things

JAHill

*sigh* A YouTube comment on Coasterbob's 2012 opening day video states such:

"Kings Island announced the Son Of The Beast will be torn down at the end of the season. Rumor has it that The Son Of The Beast will be turned into metal to make it smoother. But until then The Son Of The Beast is history."

*sigh*

• Like 2

On August 13th I was waiting in line for Vortex when they were running one of the trains empty due to a protein spill. A kid and her mother were behind me when the kid asked, "Why is the train empty?" The mother replied, "Because everyone fell out." At the same time I was thinking: "1. If anyone fell out the harnesses would be open, and 2. The seat belts are there. Plus, it wouldn't be safe if the train randomly unlocked, which it doesn't do."

• Like 2

On August 13th I was waiting in line for Vortex when they were running one of the trains empty due to a protein spill. A kid and her mother were behind me when the kid asked, "Why is the train empty?" The mother replied, "Because everyone fell out." At the same time I was thinking: "1. If anyone fell out the harnesses would be open, and 2. The seat belts are there. Plus, it wouldn't be safe if the train randomly unlocked, which it doesn't do."

Good job, Sherlock.

• Like 2

Good job, Sherlock.

Thanks, Original.

"To be or NOT to be!"....wait, that's William Shakespeare. :huh:

sorry for double posting, but I used to think one of the darnest things. When I was in second grade in 2006 when that SoB accident happened that injured 27 riders, (and when the ride had the loop) I heard a rumor that the train had just shut down in the middle of the loop, the restraints opened, and all the people fell out. Being the 7 year old I was, I actually thought it was true! I told the same thing to one of my friends a year later in third grade when she and I were talking about Kings Island a couple days after I visited on October 7, 2007. Nowadays, I know that something like that is so far-fetched, and that SoB train was highly unlikely to randomly unlock, let alone stop in its tracks (no pun intended).

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks ago I was told that Vortex used to be called The Bat!

I had to tell them that The Bat was a different coaster in the same location.

That's not that outrageous though. That could be a common misconception. Unlike some other things people say....

True, but does show how people get mixed up so easily with park facts.

Hey Brad, dont forget about the "400 foot giga" that the incredibly informed man told you KI is building for 2013. :D

Le sigh

Oh yeah, I also learned that SOB is being replaced with a 400 ft Giga! I was blown away.

I just played dumb on this one. I was to taken back to respond with anything.

But you see, Terp, its all in the delivery. Your demeanor and the way You present Yourself in person, makes it genuinely believable, as opposed to the GP and how they present things. You remind me of E.F. Hutton when we interact at a park. If people ARENT listening to You... or properly interpreting what You say... they should be.

• Like 3

I didn't actually hear anyone say this out loud, but sure they were thinking it.

"my sun glasses should be secure on my head while riding Diamondback. And if they fall off while riding they certainly will not smack the person (me) behind them in the face (eye, more specifically).... No, just like the "designated smoking areas" - those warnings to secure loose articles doesn't apply to me."

• Like 3

While looking at some other videos on the Youtube about Kings Island I have found such

1. "Are they taring it down?" on a SOB video

on a day at Kings Island

1. "Where is Bubba Gumps?"

2. "What is this racket that they are playing?"

• Like 2

If you think Paramount era names are bad at this point, I saw one guest who was surprised that they could no longer follow The Beast footprints to the ride.

The music has annoyed more than a few people this year. Here's to hoping that the playlist and the acoustics will be improved for next season, especially in Coney Mall.

• Like 2

If you think Paramount era names are bad at this point, I saw one guest who was surprised that they could no longer follow The Beast footprints to the ride.

The music has annoyed more than a few people this year. Here's to hoping that the playlist and the acoustics will be improved for next season, especially in Coney Mall.

At least there is a few of the good 80's mixed in with this "backstreet/computer music/rapper music" that I personally cannot stand, along with the others who I have heard ranting about the same subject.

• Like 1

At least there is a few of the good 80's mixed in with this "backstreet/computer music/rapper music" that I personally cannot stand, along with the others who I have heard ranting about the same subject.

I don't think I've heard any rap on the playlist. The type and era of music isn't as important as the mood it sets. Songs like "Rumor Has It" and "Somebody That I Used To Know" definitely should have been left off.

Mixing in some popular, current hits can be a positive thing, as these are the songs the current generation can sing along to. Just pick those hits that will set a festive mood, even in those who don't sing along to current Top 40 songs on their ipod all day long.

Also, if the soundtrack needs to be audible throughout the park, more and better speakers should be added to avoid uncomfortable volume levels in certain places.

• Like 4

I don't think I've heard any rap on the playlist. The type and era of music isn't as important as the mood it sets. Songs like "Rumor Has It" and "Somebody That I Used To Know" definitely should have been left off.

Mixing in some popular, current hits can be a positive thing, as these are the songs the current generation can sing along to. Just pick those hits that will set a festive mood, even in those who don't sing along to current Top 40 songs on their ipod all day long.

Also, if the soundtrack needs to be audible throughout the park, more and better speakers should be added to avoid uncomfortable volume levels in certain places.

While I agree with all of your points, the fact is is that the park is using satellite music to feed all of the areas (except Planet Snoopy and Dinosaurs Alive). There are a few station selections, though the overall playlists cannot be changed since they are "piped" in. There really is no "customization" in terms of the music you hear; It's essentially the same thing you hear in restaurants, malls, etc. that use the same music service. Such a shame that it isn't back to the old setup of having zoned soundtracks.

The sound system itself needs a complete overall, in my opinion.

• Like 2

I prefer the music the park had when Kings Island first opened in 1972. Each area had music geared for each section: IS had French accordion style music;Coney Island (Coney Mall) had rag time music;River Town had country music;Octoberfest had German music; and Hanna Barbara Land had cartoon music. Now all they have is generic pop music throughout the park. Music is not to be listen to but is to be felt as background music.

• Like 4

Watch what they do, not what they say. The music they play speaks volumes as to who it is they are targeting, regardless of what they say.

Well I confess that the conga isnt used anymore, it seems not many people wang chung anymore either. Why dont we go to the land down under? Oh thats right some girls on film and beach boys came. Why dont we listen to rio, I heard that she can dance greatly, but alas our ears at KI is reminicent to some payphones, boyfriends, and other songs that come to mind. Anyways, "hey look its the rct3 ride!" while looking at the Thunder Falls.

While I agree with all of your points, the fact is is that the park is using satellite music to feed all of the areas (except Planet Snoopy and Dinosaurs Alive). There are a few station selections, though the overall playlists cannot be changed since they are "piped" in. There really is no "customization" in terms of the music you hear; It's essentially the same thing you hear in restaurants, malls, etc. that use the same music service. Such a shame that it isn't back to the old setup of having zoned soundtracks.

The sound system itself needs a complete overall, in my opinion.

Really, they're using a generic feed?! There are plenty of commercial music services that allow custom playlists, so they really don't need any infrastructure at all for this.

Many businesses do extensive research to figure out which background music will cause their patrons to buy more and stay longer. I'd like to think that a very loud soundtrack at an amusement park would have a bigger effect than the music piped into Meijer stores. After all, the entire point of operating an amusement park is to keep people in high spirits - and spending money - all day long.

Even if not at the individual park level, someone could be in charge of music chain-wide. There's really no excuse at all for throwing on a CHR feed and calling it a day, from an investor standpoint or from a guest standpoint.

By the way, I don't think themed music in each section is essential - it would be much better to have a great playlist parkwide than bad playlists done by section. Still, Coney Mall really shouldn't be playing any music newer than the 80s.

• Like 1