What's Your Opinion of the RED Racer?

BoddaH1994

Since many of you have made comments concerning the Red Racer, I thought I'd organize a poll as to how your ride experience was on that attraction. Whether you want it to go backward or forward is neither here nor there, this pertains to the ride experience you've had on it this year.

My thoughts: I thought the ride was extremely smooth. I admit that was was kind of weird facing forward for the ride, but I do agree that the view of Coney Mall is incredible from the ride. I also like how it jets off to the right during the split. That actually does alter the ride experience. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Since many of you have made comments concerning the Red Racer, I thought I'd organize a poll as to how your ride experience was on that attraction. Whether you want it to go backward or forward is neither here nor there, this pertains to the ride experience you've had on it this year.

My thoughts: I thought the ride was extremely smooth. I admit that was was kind of weird facing forward for the ride, but I do agree that the view of Coney Mall is incredible from the ride. I also like how it jets off to the right during the split. That actually does alter the ride experience. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

I haven't gotten a chance to ride it yet on account of working doubles on opening weekend, but i don't plan on leaving the park this Saturday without riding it!

Well since we're not talking about if it was forward or backward...I will say the ride on the Red Racer was awesome! I swore I would never ride frontwards again after the last time when it felt like my spine was BROKEN....but it was *SO* smooth this time. Everyone who went with me thought so! I'm so glad for the work they did on the track. It was great :)

~Ash

I was pleasantly surprised, like I said before. It's odd how things have worked out for the better. I was warned about two things with Cedar Fair when they took over: their entertainment sucks and they can't maintain wooden coasters. Well, the entertainment speaks for itself and I think the work done on Son of Beast and the Red Racer is nothing short of incredible. Say what you want, but that company has made a HUGE commitment to that park, and I think many things are becoming evident now. I really can't wait to see what the future holds for that place.

I was pleasantly surprised, like I said before. It's odd how things have worked out for the better. I was warned about two things with Cedar Fair when they took over: their entertainment sucks and they can't maintain wooden coasters. Well, the entertainment speaks for itself and I think the work done on Son of Beast and the Red Racer is nothing short of incredible. Say what you want, but that company has made a HUGE commitment to that park, and I think many things are becoming evident now. I really can't wait to see what the future holds for that place.

I agree, I can't wait either! That's what my brother and I were trying to tell my mom when she was so upset about Swan Lake. She said they are ruining the park because they take every piece of foliage out. We tried to tell her not to get mad yet because it seems like Cedar Fair is trying really hard to maintain the quality of the park. We told her that they may (or may not) put Swan Lake back together again..lol. But you have to really appreciate the time and effort CF is putting into Kings Island. One of the biggest differences I noticed was how all of they employees are actually CHECKING the restraints this year. Not once did I get the old 'swipe one pinky finger over the lap bar' move. That, along with all of the landscaping, paint retouches, the new guest relations, and all of the new shows,etc,etc....I think that KI is only going to get better and better! Now if only they would bring back some of the old picnic areas, I would be a happy panda ;)

~Ash

I agree, I can't wait either! That's what my brother and I were trying to tell my mom when she was so upset about Swan Lake. She said they are ruining the park because they take every piece of foliage out. We tried to tell her not to get mad yet because it seems like Cedar Fair is trying really hard to maintain the quality of the park. We told her that they may (or may not) put Swan Lake back together again..lol. But you have to really appreciate the time and effort CF is putting into Kings Island. One of the biggest differences I noticed was how all of they employees are actually CHECKING the restraints this year. Not once did I get the old 'swipe one pinky finger over the lap bar' move. That, along with all of the landscaping, paint retouches, the new guest relations, and all of the new shows,etc,etc....I think that KI is only going to get better and better! Now if only they would bring back some of the old picnic areas, I would be a happy panda ;)

~Ash

Personally i don't see swan lake as too much of a thing to miss, i personally ended up walking through it last year and the bottom was a good foot of gunk, at least it's clean now.

While I respect what you said, and agree that the entertainment seems to keep getting better than past years after seeing DA, the ice show, and the new stage in the Festhaus when we went Friday, all the wood coaster maintenance was done in house by an excellent staff who has been there for years continuing to do a great job. A staff that did great work during Taft, Keco, Paramount, Viacom, CBS, and even Cedar Fair. While Cedar Fair has definitely invested a lot in the park and brought some good changes, the wood coaster team has always done a great job. It's not Cedar Fair or Sandusky who maintains the wood coasters at KI, its the skilled carpenters and maintenance guys behind the scenes.

Personally i don't see swan lake as too much of a thing to miss, i personally ended up walking through it last year and the bottom was a good foot of gunk, at least it's clean now.

Well that may be true but it was still a nice area to look at. Plus she's upset because she wants to know what they did with all of the fish and animals that lived there! ;) We're all a bunch of nature freaks and she gets upset when trees get cut down. She still remembers the park the way it was when it first opened. But she'll be alright when she's screaming her head off on that new coaster(?) next year. ;)

~Ash

I felt the Red Racer was real smooth as well but it seemed the Blue Racer was much faster, at least on the ride I was on. Both trains left the station about the same time, infact I think the red train was a little early but the blue one got back to the station much sooner then the red.

I felt the Red Racer was real smooth as well but it seemed the Blue Racer was much faster, at least on the ride I was on. Both trains left the station about the same time, infact I think the red train was a little early but the blue one got back to the station much sooner then the red.

It could have been that there were more people on the blue train or the people on the blue train weighed a bit more.

When my wife and I went to the park on Saturday, we went to the Red Racer for our first ride. I too thought that it was a lot smoother than years past. I will also agree with Boddah on the going right at the turn around instead of the traditional left, it's a different feeling, one that will take some getting used to. But overall a good experience.

I rode it once, I typically rode the backward racer about 10 times in a day, so of course I hate it, I also don't care about racing, even though that is the theme of the ride, all it does for me is slow down the efficiency of the ride when they have to worry about racing them, I would rather just load the train and send it on it's way. But since the rides half to come full circle and back to their original state for nostalgia, I'm looking forward to the train going back to it's original state of being a train ride through the woods and not a transport to the waterpark and the log flume not dumping water over your head when the ride is over, but of course I'm sure this nostalgia stuff only applies to The Racer.Don't get me wrong I'm happy with Cedar Fair taking over the park, but I will still complain when I don't like things.

I have to say I agree. I loved the view of Coney Mall from that side. I also loved the surprise of falling to the right as I was getting ready to fall to the left. We all know it drops to the right on that side, but you're still not prepared for it. That was the cool part, doing everything, um, backwards.

I thought the Red Racer was great, it was extremely smooth and does have a nice view of Coney since you dont have to turn your neck anymore. I thought the park did an excellent job with turning the train around and with all of the track work. The only problem i will have will be getting used to that side being forwards since it has ran backwards my whole life.

I think it's bitter sweet.

+Smoother

-No airtime

I rode in last car, front bench. It wasn't that thrilling...just up and down, up and down...trim, turn...up and down. No airtime...

Now, maybe if it's 'warmed up' later in the day, it'll be different.

I have to disagree. I rode it 4 times on opening day and i thought that it was consistently the smoothest rides I have ever had on any Racer, and I thought it made the airtime more noticeable because it was so much smoother. I mean, comparative to what The Racers used to be. While I am going to miss the experience of riding an tire roller coaster backwards, the overall ride is much more fun, in my opinion.

I have to disagree. I rode it 4 times on opening day and i thought that it was consistently the smoothest rides I have ever had on any Racer, and I thought it made the airtime more noticeable because it was so much smoother. I mean, comparative to what The Racers used to be.

..in recent years, but not days of olde....

I was definitely skeptical...but I loved it. Definitely didn't expect to, but once again I was pleasantly surprised. Being pleasantly surprised has been a trend for this year so far....

I agree. The Red Racer is smoother than it has been in a long time. And, I must confess, I expected the park to be pretty much the same as last year, but there are a number of thinge that have improved. For example, the food at Wings, the retracking on Racer, the politeness of the workers, the cleanliness of the park, shows in Festhaus..... All little things, I know, but all pleasant surprises......

The true test of a park's employees is not on opening weekend, but rather after they have put up with the public, some of whom can be quite nasty for no particular reason at all, for a few weeks...and the hot weather, fatigue and even boredom...

Very true, my most recent memories are of the end of the season when "burn out" becomes a factor...... But I have been very impressed with the staff so far. Several have actually gone out of their way to say nice things to my children.